Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #1

Kitchen in The Slide - Good or Bad Idea?

I'm still window shopping for a rig and I notice some have the kitchen in the slide instead of the dinette. The side of the rig the slide is on would be the side that faces the site next to mine. I guess I see the kitchen in the slide as a good thing because if I'm eating, reading, playing a game, or whatever and I have to be inside, I'd rather be looking out the window at my own site as opposed to looking into my neighbor's site.

Are there issues with the connections or anything? Is that why you don't see too many this way?

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
kitchen slide

that is the way my 98 Holiday Rambler is setup we have not had any issues i do check the water lines and drains every spring but never had a issue Mike

Old 08-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm not sure what you mean by "not seeing too many of them". All coaches with opposing slides have both the kitchen and dinette in the slides....and is extremely common.

There have been posts where connections have been a problem, but not l don't think it is all that prevalent. I sure wouldn't let it be a make or break deal for me.

Our previous coach had the dinette on the driver's side and never did appreciate looking out at my neighbor's yard. This coach, we made sure that it was on the passenger's side. Just our preference, I guess.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:34 PM   #4

Our dinette is on the Driver's slide & stove, sink & counter top is on the passenger slide. The one thing I don't care for is the house size fridge to be in the slide.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #5

Sounds like the one you are looking at does not have opposing slides in the living area. One thing to note, due to the need to route plumbing and such, kitchen slides are typically not as deep as a slide that has a sofa and dinette. Point being, if you only have one slide in the living area, you'll have a bit more living space if the kitchen is NOT in that slide.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcarlson View Post
I'm still window shopping for a rig and I notice some have the kitchen in the slide instead of the dinette. The side of the rig the slide is on would be the side that faces the site next to mine. I guess I see the kitchen in the slide as a good thing because if I'm eating, reading, playing a game, or whatever and I have to be inside, I'd rather be looking out the window at my own site as opposed to looking into my neighbor's site.

Are there issues with the connections or anything? Is that why you don't see too many this way?

Jim
Our kitchen along with the residential fridge is on a full wall slide on the driver's side with the dinette on the opposing slide. I to don't want to sit at the table and look at my neighbor's plumbing issues. We've never had a problem. All drains, hoses etc. are mounted on special carriers in the chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2343s.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	103198  
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a Super C where the propane/electric fridge was on the slide out. It had a propane leak and could have been a disaster if I didn't catch it in time.

I'm a little gun shy with having propane on board, so I now have an all electric coach with 8 AGM batteries.
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:47 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Nice looking rig GDawgs! I'm guessing that's an Endeavor. We appear to have similar tastes in a coach - I've got the 2012 version. I prefer that my eating area be curbside so that I'm looking at "my" yard as opposed to the neighbors'. I don't mind NOT looking at the neighbors' place while I'm working in the kitchen. We haven't had any issues with the sink, fridge and/or wash/dryer being in the wall slide.
SpaceNorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:47 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My kitchen is in the slide, and I don't like it. The additional component complexity, combined with difficult access for inspection and repairs is enough reason to dislike it. This may not be an issue for a new RV, but in my older MH no surface is really flat, and the various horizontal surfaces (floor, tables, countertops, etc.) are not in parallel planes, if they ever were. When leveling the coach, the most obvious reference is the floor, but that makes the kitchen counter far enough from level that cooking on the stove, especially in a frying pan, is a pain. We are planning a major remodel in the next couple years, and getting the kitchen level while parked is high on priority list. Getting it off the slide seems obvious.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:51 PM   #10

One more reason I'm glad I choose a Dutchstar. I have the Kitchen on the driver side and No Problems. In fact, never had a slide problem, touch wood.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:08 PM   #11

Yeah, I'm on a 3.2 beer budget so I'm looking at older units that don't have opposing slides. That wasn't even a thought in the year range I'm looking at. I'm Po folk!! Lol
Old 08-13-2015, 05:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
My kitchen is in the slide, and I don't like it. The additional component complexity, combined with difficult access for inspection and repairs is enough reason to dislike it. This may not be an issue for a new RV, but in my older MH no surface is really flat, and the various horizontal surfaces (floor, tables, countertops, etc.) are not in parallel planes, if they ever were. When leveling the coach, the most obvious reference is the floor, but that makes the kitchen counter far enough from level that cooking on the stove, especially in a frying pan, is a pain. We are planning a major remodel in the next couple years, and getting the kitchen level while parked is high on priority list. Getting it off the slide seems obvious.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B

That may be an issue on older units. I carry a torpedo level to check the Valid leveling system and all surfaces. So far all slides, counter tops(kitchen/baths) and the floor are level while driving and parked. The active 10 bag system keeps the ride height level while going down the road.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:43 PM   #13

We have an older coach with one slide with the kitchen in it. All of the surfaces are level when coach level. Dinette is on opposite (curb) side so look out at our site when sitting at it.

We did have the flex hose for the kitchen sink develop a leak but fixing it wasn't that bad of a project since access was under the slide. Coach is 15 years old so I guess that could be expected.

We prefer this layout so it works well for us.

Bob Stockholm
2000 Country Coach Intrigue "Cooks Delight"
2000 Country Coach Intrigue #11075
stkhlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:16 PM   #14
epj

We have a 2002 Holiday Rambler 36' gas model. The kitchen is on the driver's side, which is where the front slide is located. The cooktop, convection oven, sink and cabinets are in the slide, as well as the couch. The four door fridge is on the other side with no slide. We like the layout and have had no problems with it. The bedroom slide is on the passenger side. While I think dual front slides would be a bonus, having the fridge in a solid wall seems like a good idea. One less place for potential leaks also.

Tags
slide