Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #1

Kitchen table replacement

My RV has a typical booth style table that folds down to make a bed. Its a laminated piece of wood and as I have found as with many tables like this the edges have pieces of the laminate broken off. (I would assume from dropping it into the bed position).
The kitchen counters are Corean and I would like the table to match. I was thinking I would go to the nearby kitchen and bath shop and see about buying a piece of countertop that would fit and match the countertop. I can attach the brackets and leg but I'm not sure if Corean is too brittle for the support piece when being used as a bed.

Has anyone ever swapped one out or have a table made of Corean or similar material? It would nice if I could find a fiberglass like resin table that matches. Any advice is appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you ever use the table as a bed, you might have a problem. My first motorhome had a small table. We had two kids and needed more table space. I had a carpenter make me a larger table. He made it out of thicker plywood. It was so heavy, i could barely handle it. Corean is very heavy. If you never use the top as a bed I don't think you will have a problem, however if you try to make a bed you will find it hard to manage.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If I was going to do this, I would use a sturdy piece of wood for the table top. Once measured and cut, I would take it someplace and have them cover it with 1/4 inch Corean. Now all your hardware attaches/screws to the wood.

Since the table thickness may be thicker than the original, you may have to build up the seat tops height a bit so it remains flush.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We replaced our wood table top (not a booth top and never used for sleeping) with a Corian top. The top is not solid Corian all the way through, having a partical board "core" with a 1/2" top surface and build down edging. By doing it this way or even using the 1/4" material you would not have a problem sleeping on it.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm replacing the booth, so I can tell all the relatives I don't have room and do not have a place for them to sleep.
Not being mean, just want some time in the woods with my wife, seems like they have my phone tapped and when I mention going camping they are lined up at the front door with suitcase in hand. No food or gas money to help out just suitcase.
!!!!Just looked outside and it's snowing EEK
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
My RV has a typical booth style table that folds down to make a bed. Its a laminated piece of wood and as I have found as with many tables like this the edges have pieces of the laminate broken off. (I would assume from dropping it into the bed position).
The kitchen counters are Corean and I would like the table to match. I was thinking I would go to the nearby kitchen and bath shop and see about buying a piece of countertop that would fit and match the countertop. I can attach the brackets and leg but I'm not sure if Corean is too brittle for the support piece when being used as a bed.

Has anyone ever swapped one out or have a table made of Corean or similar material? It would nice if I could find a fiberglass like resin table that matches. Any advice is appreciated.
Our motorhome came with Corian countertops and the booth table was corian. There should be a sheet of paper on the back of one of your cabinets that list all your paint colors and interior colors including the Corian color. I have two locations and they included the color of the Corian. I did not realize it but their are hundreds of Corian colors. Ours was an oversized table that also was used to span the booths for a small bed. We never used the booth as a bed and I wanted to have a new table made just a couple of inches shorter on the sides. I took my color code and table to a countertop shop that does both Granite and Corian (actual sub contractor to Lowes) and they made me an identical table. The shop even mounted a new leg bracket by measuring the location from my old table top. The booth beds are small and really for kids or a real short person do I think the Corian table top is strong enough for a couple of small kids.

Tags
replacement