Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #1

Kitchen Wall Refresh

I would like to add some new life and colour to the kitchen walls in our motorhome. Thought about using real tiles and grout but don't want all the mess and work. They also add lots of weight and less is always better. They now make these "smart tiles" which are pre-glued vinyl pieces to stick on the walls and they do look good with much less work.
Smart Tiles | 6 - Piece 10.25 Inch x 10.65 Inch Peel and Stick Idaho Mosaik | Home Depot Canada

Some reviews I have read mentioned problems with them not sticking very well. Others have said with additional glue they had no problems but these were installed in S&B setting. Has anyone used these with success in an RV given the large variances in temperature and humidity? I would like to hear from folks and thier experiences, good and bad. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I used fiberglass faux bricks that i found on line..cant remember the name of the company. They came in 2x4 foot sheets and are about 3/8 in thick. They look and feel like real brick and the panels glue up with liquid nail. They can be cut and shaped with any saw or razor knife. I think they were about $67 a sheet. They also have faux stone,wood,and bamboo and come in several different colors and styles. They are heat proof to about 600 degrees, so i put them behind my stove as well as the sink area. I am quite happy with them, and even the mortar feels and looks real.

Bart Anderson

2003 Winnebago Itasca Sundancer Class C

Old 04-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Use the search function above. Insert Smart Tiles. Lot's of good chatter about them. Picked up mine from HD today. Should be an easy bath install. Not cheap though. Ranges from 8-10 $ a sheet.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Update...the name of the company i got the faux brick panels from was...texture Plus...and they will even send you a sample kit free to pick what you like!

Bart Anderson

2003 Winnebago Itasca Sundancer Class C
Old 04-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Use the search function above. Insert Smart Tiles. Lot's of good chatter about them. Picked up mine from HD today. Should be an easy bath install. Not cheap though. Ranges from 8-10 $ a sheet.

Went to our HD and they had never heard of smart tile. He even went to his computer and looked at other stores around the country. Could not find it. Where did you find it?
firedoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Went to our HD and they had never heard of smart tile. He even went to his computer and looked at other stores around the country. Could not find it. Where did you find it?
It was in the flooring section at the Novi, MI store. Go to HD web site and search Smart Tiles. They list about 20 different patterns. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #7

This item does not appear to have made it to stores in the west part of the country yet. I've been to stores in Boise as well as Las Vegas and the managers in the stores say that they have not seen this except in cases where people have purchased it online and then have returned it to a local store and the local store has put it in stock. They do not stock it.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #8

Lowes in Sonora CA has them on an end cap with pics and brochures and all.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
This item does not appear to have made it to stores in the west part of the country yet. I've been to stores in Boise as well as Las Vegas and the managers in the stores say that they have not seen this except in cases where people have purchased it online and then have returned it to a local store and the local store has put it in stock. They do not stock it.
It can also be ordered directly from the manufacturer. Unfortunately it will be more difficult to "see" the true colors.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #10

Kitchen Wall Refresh

HD has told me if I order it online and don't like it that the store will take it back. We may be looking into this soon.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ordered Smart Tile online at HD. Easy to work with, the hardest part was prepping the walls. I had a mirror backsplash previously so lots of stick stuff to scrape. The finished job looks like real tile and a great upgrade.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:09 PM   #12

Just completed my Smart Tile upgrade. Had vintage 2004 mirrors around stove that were losing their silver, wallpaper across the rest.
Removed tiles and remaining glue, cleaned all with TSP, and installed the Smart Tiles. Not too difficult, just expected fussiness around the window.
DW loves the result.
Before:

Click For Full-Size Photo.
After:

Click For Full-Size Photo.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:38 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Nice job Ed... gotta love how much easier it is to do the Smart Tile remodel v/s using ceramic and grout.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #14

Looks great. What adhesive did you use and what did you do with exposed edges ?