Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #1

Koni shocks

Hi everyone, does anyone have any info on buying Koni shocks. I checked the web but that's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I heard that Koni are better than Bilstein(advise). Any input you might have would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.
Daniel
Daniel6001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #2

I don't know what you have but I changed out the Bilsteins for Koni's on the steer axle and we are very happy with the ride! My opinion I wished I had done it much sooner. We just finished a 6,900 mile trip after the swap and still very pleased.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #3

I put konis on 4 corners of my ASLY2000. Best move could have made. Try shox.com, price includes delivery.

Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Just put "Koni" in the search on the top right, there is plenty of discussion on them. I am also a pleased Koni owner, 2nd coach that I installed them on. You will find plenty of Bilstein fans as well with their newer "Comfort" series.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #5

I just, 2 weeks ago, replaced my 6 Bilsteins for Konis. Purchased from Spartan directly, www.rvchassisparts.com. Very happy with this upgrade, replaced front and then went for a ride before I did the rear drive and tag. The difference is not day and night but it is very noticeable. The rear did not make that much difference but like someone else said, the rear is not bouncing around as much any more. I left the adjustables the way they came (softest). The sheets that came with them to show how to adjust were not much help; the correct procedure is on-line. BTW Konis are made in China...
Old 09-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Just put Konis on front of my W22 Workhorse 2 months ago. It is much improved, very happy, it was so harsh before we just dreaded every ripple in the pavement. I got them here Koni-RV fast shipping no problems.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Listen, I put on 4 new Konis and like all have reported, great improvement BUT...

I have to think this is an apples to oranges comparison to some extent. Unless someone replaces new shocks of any brand with new shocks of any other brand there is really not an easy way to make a fair, comparative judgement.

Replace old Konis with any new, reputable shock...most will probably say (Any one for a blind seat of the pants test?)

Old shocks suck...pretty simple. Replacing old shocks with new shocks will always make a big difference.

Now, that doesn't dismiss the other issue of longevity. Cheap shocks will probably start to suck sooner. That also doesn't dismiss the fact that some new shocks of some brands perform better than others.

All that being said, I can't figure out a reason I shouldn't be happy with my Koni FSDs for a long time. I think I will keep them. LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #8

sky_boss...well said

I have 8 new Bilsteins and as sky stated...better than the old....which were 16 yr old Bilsteins
Old 09-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Listen, I put on 4 new Konis and like all have reported, great improvement BUT...

I have to think this is an apples to oranges comparison to some extent. Unless someone replaces new shocks of any brand with new shocks of any other brand there is really not an easy way to make a fair, comparative judgement.

Replace old Konis with any new, reputable shock...most will probably say (Any one for a blind seat of the pants test?)

Old shocks suck...pretty simple. Replacing old shocks with new shocks will always make a big difference.

Now, that doesn't dismiss the other issue of longevity. Cheap shocks will probably start to suck sooner. That also doesn't dismiss the fact that some new shocks of some brands perform better than others.

All that being said, I can't figure out a reason I shouldn't be happy with my Koni FSDs for a long time. I think I will keep them. LOL
Fair enough, except I read in another thread about someone who was testing shocks for a certain period of time. Both Konis and Bilsteins. I beleive it was MrD. He ended up buying Konis for himself. Some observations I made while replacing my shocks, the Konis were about 1.5 times the size of the Bilsteins and the Bilsteins were only 6 years young not leaking and only 25K miles on the RV...
Old 09-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I replaced the OEM shocks with the Bilsteins. The Bilsteins were far better than the OEM shocks but a little hard on the ride. I then read about the Konis and all the raves from everyone who tried them. So I removed the almost new Bilsteins and replaced them with the Konis. I am very happy with the Konis but they aren't cheap. I bought ours from shox.com
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
I replaced the OEM shocks with the Bilsteins. The Bilsteins were far better than the OEM shocks but a little hard on the ride. I then read about the Konis and all the raves from everyone who tried them. So I removed the almost new Bilsteins and replaced them with the Konis. I am very happy with the Konis but they aren't cheap. I bought ours from shox.com
Now THAT is Apples to apples! Still glad I went with Koni FSDs.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced our factory Bilstein's with Koni's at 6000 miles so I can give you an apples to apples opinion. The Koni's are 100 times better, at least they are on my chassis!

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2007 F53 cassis under our 2008 A coach 22,500 lbs Koni's, Ssftey T Plus and rear track bar with a 99.99% handling/ride improvement.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #14

Probably one of the best sources for shock recommendations for RV's is Henderson Line-up in Grants Pass,Oregon. A phone call to their tech support guys would be well worth your while. RV handling issues is their business. I took their recommendations to go with Koni FSD's when our last Class A porposed something terrible. It had 25,000 miles on it and the original shocks were Bilsteins. The FSD's totally stopped the porposing.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koni, shocks