Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Kudos to Coach-net, Cummins NW & Spartan Chassis Customer Service

Could not figure out what was the most appropriate forum so I decided posted here.
I suffered loss of engine coolant on our 2008 Newmar Ventana with a Cummins 6.7L ISB which caused a myriad of alarms and warnings while I was on my way to have my annual service accomplished. I was entering onto a divided highway when it occurred, received hi coolant temp alarm, stop engine alarm, and engine power down. Cause of the loss of coolant was a split supply hose at the elbow that supplies coolant to the air compressor. Learn something every day, did not know the air compressor was water cooled. Cummins stated that this was a very rare occurrence, but happens. Repair was accomplished by Cummins Northwest in Chehalis WA., in a timely manner; they had a hard time locating leak because of location, steam clean engine, radiators, and engine compartment to neutralize coolant spillage.
This was my first experience in 30+ years of RV’ing with being towed. I was about 45 miles from home, on a Sunday afternoon when this occurred, stranded alongside a divided highway (US 101 near Shelton WA.), was able to pull well off of the highway because of very wide shoulders. I called Coach-net for assistance, Coach-net tried to get roadside assistance, but to no avail on a Sunday so they made arrangements with local Wal-Mart to allow me to spend the night in thier parking lot, tow truck showed up in about 45 minutes to tow me to Wal-Mart but was to small for my DP. Coach-net continued to try to get me towed to Wal-Mart, a dispatched tow truck broke down on the way to get me. At 9 PM Coach-net and I decided to abandon further attempts at towing me that day, they would find a service center in the morning (Monday) and arrange for towing. Coach-net called the Washington State Patrol letting them know my location and that I would be spending the night alongside the highway and that they would make the necessary arrangements to move me in the morning. About an hour later a State Trooper knocked on the coach door to let me know they had gotten the call, checked to make sure I was in a safe location, and let me know they would be by on occasion during the remainder of the night. By 0830 Monday morning I received a call from Coach-net letting me know that a tow truck would be there in 30 minutes to tow me to a service center that could work on coach. While I was waiting for the tow truck received a call from Spartan Chassis Customer Service stating they had noted on the Coach-net call outs that I was having problems, asked if I knew where the coolant leak was, which I didn’t, asked if I knew where I was being towed to, provided them the information. By the time I got to the Cummins NW Spartan Customer Service had talked with them offering any assistance or parts support they might need if the problem was on the chassis side of the coach.
Can’t ask for much better service than this! Cummins NW, Coach-Net and Spartan all get my Gold Star Award.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #2

Happy to hear that you had great service and have only had one tow.

We recently had a front tire blowout which resulted in a total of 3 tows (see our blog for details) each of which managed to inflict a bit more damage.

There is just about nothing worse than seeing your home being towed down the road and not knowing what will happen next.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I will add my endorsement of Cummins NW at Chehalis, WA. They spent over four hours chasing the reason for a check engine light on my ISB 02 last year - fortunately under warranty. The code had been set in the computer, they found it, explained what it was but could not duplicate it. No repeats in the 10,000 plus miles driven this year. They seem to get a good bit of motor home work at that shop and based on my experience and that of Spike, I would not hesitate to recommend them to others. Don't forget Brazelle's is in the same general area too.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote