Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #1

Kwikee electric steps

electric steps go out fine. when they retreive, the hit a spot about half way in and makes a grinding noise. I can just tap the steps and they go in fine. i removed the clevis pin that connects to the electric motor to make sure steps were free and they way. steps move with ease. tried operating the electric motor with steps disconnected and the same thing, go out fine but hits a spot and grinds. i suspect either the gear at the motor head or the larger gear in the grear box. so far i can not find anywhere to purchase these gears. have to buy a complete assembly.
part number 44-8127 cost $327 from local rv dealer a and 125 to install. I can buy a complete set of new steps from Tweetys for 420 and install myself. anyone know where to find rebuild parts for the Kwikee model 32 series step???
dove3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The way I see it it could be a motor bearing, gear mounted on the motor or the gear box itself. After you take it apart and find the defective part try this link.

Kwikee Parts for RV Electric Steps - PPL Motor Homes

I just replaced my motor but it was a bearing on the end of the shaft. Local RV house was able to get the part. I am going to order a bearing and keep the old one as a spare.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #3

If you do a little Googling you will find there is a Ford window motor that is the same one the step uses.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #4

X2 with Jim.

And, here's one on eBay: http://compare.ebay.com/like/230788481781

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #5

There are different electric window lift motors that fit different step models. One size does not fit all. A visual comparison has to be made.
Step motors are all window lift motors. Kwikee designs their steps around the vehicle lift motors.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The link I provided gets you to everything you need. The following link gets you to a blowup diagram of the parts. Just click on the part you need and it will take you to it. Can't be much easier than that.

Diagram
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't look for any help from power gear,they hold kwike step,they are not consumer friendly.
VietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
The gear is stripped I could not find just the gear, here is where I got my motor Window Lift Motors | DC Motors | AM Equipment | Manufacturer of Windshield Wiper Systems and Fractional Horsepower Motors | Wiper Motors, Window Lift Motors, Gearhead Motors | Fans and Motor Controls .
what next is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know, before throwing big money at it I'd sing a little song.

(Tune: Celebration)

Lubricate, Lubricate, Spray all the moving joints
Lubricate, Lubricate, Spray all the moving joints.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:01 PM   #10

I’ve learned that the reason the Kwikee steps fail so often is that the worm gear in the motor is made of aluminum (WTF?). The grinding noise is because it wears out quickly and stops meshing properly. (Designed obsolescence? I’ve had three failures on my five-year-old motorhome; the last two within 12 months of each other. Sounds like a racket to me, both literally and figuratively.)

New replacement motors are readily available on Amazon. For my 2012 Fleetwood Bounder that has Platinum Series steps, I found the appropriate motor (Kwikee 1101428, Amazon ASIN B005G21JP2) for $60-$64 with free Prime shipping.

Replacing my motor was simply a matter of removing three 10mm bolts, transferring the round gear and washer that sits on the motor over to the new motor, greasing it up, and bolting it back on. It’s a 10-minute job. Doing it yourself probably saves a couple hundred dollars and a day at a repair center.

To find the part number for your step's motor, get the "Kwikee Steps Model Identification Guide" PDF by Googling that. Note that the numbers you might find on your old motor might not correspond to the part number that Kwikee uses.

Considering the high failure rate of the motors, you might want to buy a spare to take on the road.
Ronmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:45 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Another LCI Lippert product with motor problems. They're using cheap stuff in their units.

Tags
kwikee