Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #1

Kwikee last out feature

I recently replaced a series 32 kwikee controller and motor. The steps operate properly (door closed steps retract, door open step extend). My problem is that even with the ignition off the steps retract when the door is closed. Additionally if you turn the step light on the steps will remain retracted even with the door open. Any thoughts?

Thanks
psean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #2

Kwikee last out feature

New unit wired differently? Polarity?
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #3

I believe the service man reversed the door switch because the steps initially worked backwards. (Door open steps retract)
Old 06-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by psean View Post
I believe the service man reversed the door switch because the steps initially worked backwards. (Door open steps retract)
You didn't say how old the previous unit was, but I think the new steps MAY require a different "door" switch. I think Kwikee changed from using a normally open switch to a normally closed, or vicea-versa, but I had a similar problem and they sent me the correct switch, which fixed the problem. In short, call Kwikee.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by psean View Post
I recently replaced a series 32 kwikee controller and motor. The steps operate properly (door closed steps retract, door open step extend). My problem is that even with the ignition off the steps retract when the door is closed. Additionally if you turn the step light on the steps will remain retracted even with the door open. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
You didn't say how old the previous unit was, but I think the new steps MAY require a different "door" switch. I think Kwikee changed from using a normally open switch to a normally closed, or vicea-versa, but I had a similar problem and they sent me the correct switch, which fixed the problem. In short, call Kwikee.
That is probably the OP's problem
Some model Kwikee model step controllers use a NO, (normally open), magnetic door switch, others a NC, (normally closed), magnetic switch.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #6

The instructions do mention that the door switch should be changed from normally closed to normally open, which we did. Like I said the stairs do operate normally with exception of the last out function.

Tags
kwikee