Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #1

Kwikee Step and Fogged Window

I own a 2014 Newmar Ventana Diesel Pusher 4037 with a tag axle. Two days ago, I was at the coach to run the generator and everything worked.
Today, I opened the door and the step doesn't work. I get no sound from the step. I checked the fuse in the front compartment and it's okay. Any suggestions as to how I should go about fixing this problem.

Also, I'm in the Venice, Sarasota area of Florida and need to get a fogged window replaced. It is a side window in the dining area. Any known dealers in this area or Fort Myers or Tampa?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Simmons
Det3033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2017, 03:18 PM   #2

My Kwikee door step did the same this summer and the tech at shop said it's the module for sure, nope. Put on new one $$$ and same result. Tested later myself, after a lot of study of diagnostic stuff found the magnetic door switch did not work. Now all good. Be sure it is lubricated at all the step joints for start point.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:45 PM   #3

I'm curious about how you checked the magnetic door switch to determine that it was faulty?

I installed a new step on our MH and couldn't get it to work, well not work correctly. Finally in desperation on the eve before we were leaving on our OR-WV and back trip my son switched the wires going to the motor which caused the step to go out when the door opened and in when it closed, the opposite of what it did originally. To keep it out when we wanted that I would pull the fuses. When we got back I replaced the old magnetic door switch with a new one and it now works perfectly. In my case the switches were somehow different between the old step and the new one.

Our MH is a '94 Flair and it has two fuses up front.

Best of luck, IMHO, those things are sometimes difficult to figure out.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Kwikee step troubleshooting flow chart:
https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...Flow-Chart.pdf
Kwikee owners manual:
https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...als/pg_875.pdf

For your foggy glass:
RV Glass Solutions
1025 Pine Chase Avenue
Lakeland, FL 33815
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I've had ongoing problems with my kwikee entry door steps on my Tiffin Phaeton that have been resolved by replacing the magnetic door switch. I now carry a couple of spare magnetic switches in case I have issues on the road.
It is easy to diagnose the problem with a regular magnet held up to the switch in the door jamb. If placing the magnet there with the door open makes the steps retract, you know that the magnet on the door has a problem.
Hope this helps.
D Moffitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:01 PM   #6

I followed the kwikee flow chart to diagnose, tried the magnet but did not work for me.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:06 AM   #7

May be as simple as lubricating all of the pivot points. I left our steps out for a long time during the summer and they would not retract. It was just a lack of lubrication. Spray everything well (I used a light penetrating oil first) and hopefully it will work. Always try the easiest thing first. Just be very careful that they do not close while you are under or have your hands near them. That is quite a powerful motor.
dnmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:00 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Talking to service people when I had issues, grounding was the most often culprit mentioned when the entire system quit. Verify that the gnd bond is with a Star washer.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:10 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Det3033 View Post
I own a 2014 Newmar Ventana Diesel Pusher 4037 with a tag axle. Two days ago, I was at the coach to run the generator and everything worked.
Today, I opened the door and the step doesn't work. I get no sound from the step. I checked the fuse in the front compartment and it's okay. Any suggestions as to how I should go about fixing this problem.

Also, I'm in the Venice, Sarasota area of Florida and need to get a fogged window replaced. It is a side window in the dining area. Any known dealers in this area or Fort Myers or Tampa?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Simmons
My procedure after insuring that voltage is getting to the controller, is to by pass the door sw.. You might as well chase a few ghosts in a windstorm, by banging, pushing, lubing, etc.. Then disconnect or cut the leads to the motor drive and for applying 12vdc directly. First be sure you're in the clear first and switching the leads, will send it in the opposite direction. This will tell you if the motor, drive and step arms are OK. After that and if bad, match it up on Amazon with a power window motor. Otherwise, it's probably the door sw. or controller.
I'm in your general area, but don't know of a reputable window place.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #10

I use Suncoast Designers Inc. in Hudson, Florida to have my window repaired.
Their address and phone number is :

15050 Labor Place
Hudson, Fl. 34667
Phone. (727) 868-2773

You will need to call to get an appointment.

For your steps it sounds like your controller next to the steps is going bad.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:50 PM   #11

Happy Holidays to all my fellow RVers. Thank you for the many suggestions. I tried all the suggestions, talked to Newmar customer service and tried several of the youtube videos.
When I went over to storage to get the coach this morning, the step worked. I can not explain what happened or why but it is working again. The repair facility told me not to bring the coach in since it was working.

Any thoughts?????
Det3033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:48 PM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Happy Holidays to all my fellow RVers. Thank you for the many suggestions. I tried all the suggestions, talked to Newmar customer service and tried several of the youtube videos.
When I went over to storage to get the coach this morning, the step worked. I can not explain what happened or why but it is working again. The repair facility told me not to bring the coach in since it was working.

Any thoughts?????
Every step I've ever seen, runs off of the chassis batteries, so were they down or switched off, perhaps.
As for you trying all the suggestions, are ya sure you they didn't work, when applying external voltage to the motor drive separately?
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:09 PM   #13

Quote:

Any thoughts?????
First thought, lubrication.
Especially since you are in a high humidity climate.
Crawl under the steps and spray some Boshield T9 on each and every joint. Do this at least a couple times of year or more and your step problems are more than likely a thing of the past.
Sounds simple cause that's what it is.

https://www.amazon.com/BOESHIELD-Cor...s=boshield+t-9

Tags
kwikee, window