Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #15

Thanks for all the info! Ordered the part this morning from RV Parts Outlet. Thanks for the lead.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

One of the big problems with these Kwikee steps is the lack of correct lubrication on all the hinges and slides at least every 30 days. WD-40 and SILCONE DOES NOT WORK. WD-40 and Silicone sprays evaporate after a short period and leaves no lubrication and metal on metal. Kwikee has a special step lube and when sprayed it is a liquid like a fine oil but after a few minutes it turns to a gel type grease and will stay on the parts for a long time. Kwikee say it is a grease gun in a can. A can is around $12-15 but it is well worth it and can be used on other things such as the entrance step cover hinges and slides or storage bay hinges. Like I said it really penetrates when sprayed and then thickens right up.

KwikLube

RV Kwikee Step Maintenance

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:48 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Vectra_Bob
I am not sure what happened to my steps, they will not extend and I checked the linkage abd did the test on the coach side of the wires and all is good, door cut-out and key cutout work. The steps are in the up position and I can not reach the cotter key so I can remove the pin to let them down so I can work on them. Any suggestions?
Old 12-25-2010, 05:33 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Made by Power Gear, Need I say more.
VietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:12 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Vectra Bob,

On my other coach I had the problem that the steps would not extend. What I found that worked was tapping the motor with a hammer. I dont know how old your coach is but my last coach was 10 years old and the problem started when it was about 8 yars old.
Specifically the nature of the problem was that the 12V motor is a DC motor. It has a segmented commutator. The brushes are held to the commutator with springs. As the motor gets older or perhaps used more, the commutator gets dirty.In my case the steps would work and when we would travel for a good distance and stop...the stairs would not come out. I tapped the motor with a hammer and what I surmise it did was re-establish brush contact with the commutator.....The steps started working again. I attempted to take the motor apart and when I did the brushes with the springs flew out. Normally on DC motors the brushes can be inserted form outside the motor but on these it was done at the factory and are mounted from inside the motor. There was no way I would be able to re mount the brushes.

I ordered the motor and found later that there was a kit which I had not order. End of story was that I ended up ordering the whole assembly (motor , linkage, and the electronic module.) The instillation was a piece of cake as the instructions were excellent and everything fit.

As aside I:
1. Checked to see that I had voltage from the 4 way connector (voltage was good)
2. I unplugged the lead to the motor and had the wife open and close the door to check the voltage on the 2 way connector (voltage was good)

also (I think) if you open and close the door the amber light should be on when you open the door (not sure what position the step on/off switch should be in for the amber lite to come on)

With all that I concluded that the motor was the problem.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #20

Vectra Bob, Do not think I can help much, but if my steps were in the up position and I could not reach the pin I would disconnect the wiring to the motor and then remove the motor and linkage by removing (4)bolts and let it swing down so the step could be moved out. I would be careful and not let the linkage bind and break.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine broke last winter the day before we were leaving for the south. Since it was a holiday here there was nowhere to buy new parts so I decided to try welding the helm joint (swivel joint). The two joints were totally seized. With a little heat and some motor oil everything freed up and the welded joint has been working fine all year. These joints are readily available at any industrial bearing supplier or tractor dealer. They are cast iron and can be welded but the answer to the problem is an oil can. I lube mine now at least twice a year.
Gary N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:55 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just ordered the 4 way plug connector so I could test mine to find my problem. My steps didn't work when I bought my coach. The previous owner told me it was a wire that was disconnected. After checking the underside I see no wire loose so I am going to do my own diagnosis.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Vectra_Bob
Thanks all for your help and comments. I did get the pin out and the steps are down, now I will continue to check out the motor and the brian that controls it. It is well lubed, and all of the likage is free so it must be in one of the two parts the motor or the controller as we checked out all of the power from the coach end of the wiriong and tested the door magnet and the key cut out and they work fine.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectra_Bob View Post
Thanks all for your help and comments. I did get the pin out and the steps are down, now I will continue to check out the motor and the brian that controls it. It is well lubed, and all of the likage is free so it must be in one of the two parts the motor or the controller as we checked out all of the power from the coach end of the wiriong and tested the door magnet and the key cut out and they work fine.

Do you have the AM Equiment motor. Some times on that motor
the metal worm gear jumps the plastic gear it runs on and strips the
teeth out then the step gets stuck.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Vectra Bob,

If you open and close the door and have a DC voltmeter on the 2 pin connector feeding the motor that should tell you in the controller is working or not.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:14 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well I got the test lead yesterday and did a little testing today. It is cold and slightly raining so that hindering most of my time under the coach. What I found was the steps extend fine under the test, retracting is a different story, they will only retract part way unless I help pull them in. Also the light does not have any power going to it, checked the bulb and that is good. Power at the switch is good. I am thinking it is a combination of a bad motor, gear drive and the steps will need some lube at the joints. It is supposed to be warmer tomorrow so I will continue with some more diagnosing and possibly pull the motor for an inspection.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:04 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

If the steps go out then surely that means that the motor and gears are just fine. It would seem like maybe the pivot points are rusted or the grease/oil that was there has hardened. What I would suggest is getting some spray brake parts cleaner from an auto parts store and and a brush and extend the steps and clean all the moving joints real well then spray them with the special Kwikee Lube and see how it does. If the hinged joints are rusted or the grease/oil has hardened it maybe too hard for the motor to retract the steps fully.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
I guess I should of been more specific Mike. When the steps are going out they work but not 100% like I think they should. The steps themselves are not binding up at all, no rust in the hinges that can be seen but I figured the lube would help make it a bit easier. I'm really curious as to why the light is not working. Maybe something in the module has gone bad? Still have some more steps to finish with the testing to confirm.

I know the gear drive setup on these motors is not the greatest. It is basically the same motor as my rear window uses in my 79 Bronco. I'm thinking that the grease in there has started to harden up although that still doesn't explain the light issue.

More testing tomorrow when it is in the 50's here. A nice big heated garage to park the coach in sure would be nice....