Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2014, 06:52 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDad View Post
My step isn't working. Stuck in the up position. I removed the cotter pin and lowered the step, removed the old motor and bench tested it. It works fine on a 12v battery? What now?
I never got that far since ours was not the motor but if it works on the bench next I would try testing the power with a VOM. Should be able to see 12V when opening the door at the plug. There must be a fuse for it somewhere.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #16
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I want to thank all of the contributors to this thread. My step motor gears failed yesterday. We are on the road so I figured this was going to be a pain. With your help I found the part in stock (Saturday evening) at a local Autozone. About $55. I will install it in the morning.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDad View Post
My step isn't working. Stuck in the up position. I removed the cotter pin and lowered the step, removed the old motor and bench tested it. It works fine on a 12v battery? What now?
Had the same problem last year lots of reading and searching and electric testing to no answer. I figured I needed a new gearbox? Would test the motor like you did put it back in the steps would work for a while 2 to 8 cycles then the same thing. So I would remove motor and reinstall every time they quit or when I got to the next campground. I tried to prying at different points while the DW opened and closed the door and got the steps to open.

Thinking I need a new gearbox and as it is way more expensive for parts back in Canada. I would order one to pick up this year to the border for pickup. I did try a RV store or two but they would have had to order it in and as you know, that does not always work while on Vacation.

THE FIX after they worked when I pried in the right spot and they would open.

When I was under there on this problem trip there are two small rubber bump pads the steps close on to soften the close. They are pointing down and contact the top of the step edge area on each side. I pulled the rubber bumpers and installed them with 1/4 inch washers under them. The steps have been working flawlessly for a year now with possibly 150 to 200 cycles. the washers changed the starting point of the gearbox enough to comensate for the wear on the gearbox arm.

I still need to pick up a gearbox to carry and have taken the steps and gearbox off the coach replaced all the bolts and put neverseize on them so if I am travelling I can get it all apart and back together on a trip if necessary. Some of the bolts broke and some had to be cut off.

Probably to late for you but someone could
Give it a try?? and "Good Luck"

Doug
Dougsee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:12 AM   #18
YC1

My gear box was toast. The gears were gobbled up. Plastic gears floating inside. It was an easy enough replacement though I had to drill one new hole because the new device has a smaller diameter gear so the thing had to go a bit closer to the large swing gear. It works great now. Probably took three hours of niggling, tweaking, drilling, and dressing but well worth the effort. The part was only $55 at an auto parts store and they had one in stock. Everywhere else the part was double or more and I would have had to order it. If I hadn't just replaced the old control box a couple of months ago I would have just replaced the whole mess. No more messing about.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
My gear box was toast. The gears were gobbled up. Plastic gears floating inside. It was an easy enough replacement though I had to drill one new hole because the new device has a smaller diameter gear so the thing had to go a bit closer to the large swing gear. It works great now. Probably took three hours of niggling, tweaking, drilling, and dressing but well worth the effort. The part was only $55 at an auto parts store and they had one in stock. Everywhere else the part was double or more and I would have had to order it. If I hadn't just replaced the old control box a couple of months ago I would have just replaced the whole mess. No more messing about.
YC1
Please share the part number and the name of the auto parts store.
Thanks
Mel
'96 safari
Old 06-07-2015, 01:38 PM   #20
YC1

Here is the part from Autozone.

Note, the gear on this was a smaller diameter so all of the motor mounts won't match when you swing the gears together to mesh. I just used my own nut and bolt versus the original on that hole. I only used two mounting holes on the motor. I did have to drill them out to 1/4 inch but that is just a tiny bit bigger than the originals.

There is a metal plate that binds the large gear to the motor gear plate and I had to drill one hole in it to match again. This plate is very important in keeping the gears tightly meshed.

Nothing difficult. Have some washers available for spacers and at least one long 1/4 inch nut and bolt.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kwikee step motor from Autozone.pdf (480.4 KB, 157 views)
Old 07-15-2015, 12:06 PM   #21

Correct Dorman Kwikee Step Motor Series 26, single step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cooper View Post
There's a lot of good info in the link below:

Changing the Kwikee step motor overview

I copied these sources from a post made in 2012. I don't have the original source of the info, but hopefully some of this info may help:

" 1) AM Equipment 402 E. Hazel St Jefferson, OR 97352, (541) 327-1546 the motor is $29 plus $7 shipping.

2) Replacement step motor at AutoZone. It's a Siemens "Window Lift Motor", part number WL43003.

3) Autozone. The brand is "Siemens"
The ID tag lists the following numbers:
59720-20
4) A 1986-1995 Ford Taurus left front window lift motor matched my motor. NAPA part # BK655-1395 $63.99 I ordered my motor from Auto-Zone Manufactured by Dorman part# 742-206. This has a lifetime Warranty and was $49.99. "

Fred
Important to get correct year for the "Taurus window motor" as I referenced "Bob's Guides to electric steps" and ordered a 2006 Taurus window motor part
# 742-240 and the motor "looked the same", but didn't bolt up correctly and the 9-tooth gear was smaller then the original gear.

The number on the "original door step motor" was 300-1457 (I purchased the RV used with only 13,000 miles on it, but you never know if it got replaced..?)
Anyway, the Fleetwood Parts dealer in Los Angeles didn't recognize this number so go figure.

The number off the motor that lasted a week was L491709

I've ordered the older version of the Taurus motor Dorman # 742-206 and hopefully it will work correctly and last a little longer...
Old 07-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is some info I have collected over the years from various threads for Kwikee steps. Maybe there is some info that will help some of you.

Trouble shooting chart HERE

There is a trouble shooting guide HERE

If you need sources for motors or parts check the following:

Motor

PARTS 1

PARTS 2

PARTS 3

__________________________________________________ ______________
" 1) AM Equipment 402 E. Hazel St Jefferson, OR 97352, (541) 327-1546 the motor is $29 plus $7 shipping.

2) Replacement step motor at AutoZone. It's a Siemens "Window Lift Motor", part number WL43003.

3) Autozone. The brand is "Siemens"
The ID tag lists the following numbers:
59720-20
4) A 1986-1995 Ford Taurus left front window lift motor matched my motor. NAPA part # BK655-1395 $63.99 I ordered my motor from Auto-Zone Manufactured by Dorman part# 742-206. This has a lifetime Warranty and was $49.99. "

Also these guys rebuild the older unencapsulated circuit boards: HERE

New info in 2012
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...4_1356%2C78656

Aci Auto/Window Lift Motor

For your 1995 Ford Truck F150 1/2 ton P/U 2WD 5.0L EFI 8cyl
Enlarge Image
Part Number: 83094

On disasembly of the motor I found the plastic plugs severly lopsided due to all the years of strain, new plugs cost $8.00 at Autozone or Amazon, other than that the Autozone Ford Mark VI would have worked $ $44, but I saved myself $38
Just rplaced my 25 series Kwikee step motor with a Dorman 742-277 window lift motor for a 1986 Ford Taurus driver side window lift motor. They said the Taurus had a high torqe motor which is why the number ends with 277 meaning high torqe. My steps zip in and out with this motor application. It was a special order item but only took one day for them to get it to my local AutoZone store. I also noticed AutoZone had rebuild kits for Dorman window lift gear boxes (plastic gears) in the Help section of the store.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:41 AM   #23

Kwikee Steps: That is replacement part number 1510000147 (no Dorman part number cross reference given by Kwikee just a company to source "their" motor from)

Thank you for contacting Lippert Components Customer Service department. We look forward to working with you. In order to best address your questions, the follow information will help us focus our response. Feel free to reply to this email with additional information. We will be in touch with you within one business day.

*VIN of the coach
*Make, Model#, Date of Manufacturer and Date of Purchase
*Coach owner information
*A detailed description and photos of the concern

If you would like to speak with a representative, please feel free to contact us at (574) 537-8900.

Thank you,
Lippert Components Customer Service
Old 07-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #24

An ACI (p/n 83094) Ford Taurus left front power window motor fit my "2 step Series 32 Kwikee Step" perfectly with no modifications...($53.99 at Advance Auto Parts in 2010).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-16-2015, 04:50 PM   #25

Lippert information (WRONG)

In the above post I mentioned that Kwikee Steps had sent me an email with the correct step motor number I needed for my step & since the ones from Dorman seem to not quite work right (gears aren't quite big enough, it seems) I decided to call Lippert to order a "Kwikee" motor.

Well... Lippert said their corporation had recently bought Kwikee and they only sold complete step units, not parts. I mentioned that I received an email from Kwikee with Lippert's phone number and the person I spoke with told me she couldn't help me and that I 'd need to contact another retail supplier for a motor.

So, Lippert is unusable unless you plan on buying the entire step.

I subsequently ordered a "new" (old style motor with wires coming out of it as opposed to the "new" electrical plug-in motors) from a local RV parts dealer here in Brookings, Oregon.

My fear is that my controller (6 months old) has gone bad and not recognizing the door step is fully extended or retracted (via electrical resistance) and continues
to open/close causing step to "jump" in place.

Will keep you updated when motor arrives next week ($160.00)
Old 07-16-2015, 06:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6152 View Post
In the above post I mentioned that Kwikee Steps had sent me an email with the correct step motor number I needed for my step & since the ones from Dorman seem to not quite work right (gears aren't quite big enough, it seems) I decided to call Lippert to order a "Kwikee" motor.

Well... Lippert said their corporation had recently bought Kwikee and they only sold complete step units, not parts. I mentioned that I received an email from Kwikee with Lippert's phone number and the person I spoke with told me she couldn't help me and that I 'd need to contact another retail supplier for a motor.

So, Lippert is unusable unless you plan on buying the entire step.

I subsequently ordered a "new" (old style motor with wires coming out of it as opposed to the "new" electrical plug-in motors) from a local RV parts dealer here in Brookings, Oregon.

My fear is that my controller (6 months old) has gone bad and not recognizing the door step is fully extended or retracted (via electrical resistance) and continues
to open/close causing step to "jump" in place.

Will keep you updated when motor arrives next week ($160.00)
dave6152
My AIC motor, (p/n 83094), from advance Auto parts fit my Kwikee step perfectly, has had no problem working right for 5 years and it was $106.01 less than $160.00.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 03-30-2016, 04:50 PM   #27

I just replaced my step motor on 2008 Winnebago Vista. 3 trips to auto parts store did no good without a part number to reference and there was no interest in pulling out up to a 100 motors to cross check (Ford Taurus was not a match).

Kwikee #1101428 / AM Equipment #214-2001 was an exact replacement. $100 at an RV part store or $68 on Amazon. I realize the thread is old but I found it through a search. Hopefully this helps someone.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:52 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vingilot View Post
I just replaced my step motor on 2008 Winnebago Vista. 3 trips to auto parts store did no good without a part number to reference and there was no interest in pulling out up to a 100 motors to cross check (Ford Taurus was not a match).
Kwikee #1101428 / AM Equipment #214-2001 was an exact replacement. $100 at an RV part store or $68 on Amazon. I realize the thread is old but I found it through a search. Hopefully this helps someone.
Either of these 2 Ford power window motors, (from Advance Auto parts), are an exact replacement for the motor in my 2 step Kwikee:
ACI p/n 83694...($56.96 new).
Cardone p/n 42-309 ($39.99 rebuilt).

(I posted an incorrect ACI part number in reply #26 to this thread).
Sorry.

Mel
'96 Safari

Tags
kwikee, steps