Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Kwikee Step Problem

I have a series 32 Kwikee steps on an 02 Travel Supreme.

With no warning the steps do not retract. I ran all of the trouble shooting tests in the owners manual and the test show the controller bad, but when I jumped the motor direct from a 12V battery, it does not work either.

Has anybody had the problem that both the controller and the motor went bad at the same time with absolutely no problems before? I am scratching my head on this one, what do I replace first?

Thanks

brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #2

check to be sure you have a good ground for ALL fuse locations, check to be sure you have good voltage (12.5v and higher )
Motors are available on the net for under $50 they are nothing more than a power window motor. The module is another issue

Old 10-06-2013, 05:32 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I should have added the ground was cleansed and checked and the power source I used for the test was my pickup pulled next to the MH with 12 GA wire connected directly to the battery. My MH is stored inside and plugged in. The MH battery tested 14 V. I am also taking another voltmeter up this morning and trying again.

I just found it strange that both the controller and the motor failed the test when I have never had any step problems, they just died the other day. Srange they would both go out at the same time? I was hopng someone else may have an answer of which one might be bad or is it possible they both died?

I checked the fused, but from your advice I will clean the contacts today.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Have you regularly lubed the steps? It only takes a single wet driving day then a few days of storage to freeze them up. If you are unsure, disconnect the motor arm from the steps. They should move freely in and out by hand. If not, I see lots of penetrating oil in your future
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Fixed it. I took a fully charged 12V battery and placed right next to the step motor and jumped it with short wires. It took a couple of "bumps" with the positive wire and the steps started working. Apparently jumping the steps from my truck with a 10 foot section of wire allowed to much amperage loss.

What is strange, I ran the controller tests again and it still does not show power coming out of the controller to the step motor. But everything is working perfect. That one I'll never figure out.

My steps are lubed at least twice a year and everything is as clean as a whistle underneath. There must be a high spot starting on the motor armature.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #6

Kwikee Step Motor Test procedure

Hi, I have spent many hours troubleshooting a similar problem. From your post, you said you applied 12 VDC to step motor with no result. Did you use the step motor chassis as ground and apply 12vdc alternately to both the yellow wire and red wires? In short, the red and yellow are both basically a positive lead to the motor. One operates the motor one direction, and the other wire reverses the direction.
I am posting some directions to test the motor, which is necessary before you purchase any other parts.
MOTOR TEST
When checking the motor, remove the two screws from the connector on the motor leads between the motor and the control unit. Remove the seal assembly exposing the Red and Yellow wire connections.
CAUTION: Make note of how the wires and assembly go together for later re-assembly.
Temporarily connect a 10 Gage wire to the Red wire on the 4 pin vehicle connector leave other end free.
Temporarily connect a second 10 Gage wire to the step ground cable and leave other end free.
1. TO EXTEND STEP: Connect the Ground jumper wire (fabricated above) to the YELLOW Motor lead. Momentarily touch the Power jumper wire from the Red wire (fabricated above) to the RED motor lead.
2. TO RETRACT STEP: Connect the Ground jumper wire (fabricated above) to the RED Motor lead. Momentarily touch the Power jumper wire from the Red wire (fabricated above) to the YELLOW motor lead.
If the motor does not move when power is applied in steps above but there is a small spark noticable, there may be damage to the motor windings. Motor replacement is required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor test.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	47343  
Old 10-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Silly question. When you was jumping from your truck, did you ground the 2 vehicles together? You may have a dead spot in your motor if it happens again.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #8

I bad as I hate to admit this..I missed the first step when troubleshooting my step problem. Somebody ,prob, me, had shut off the on and off switch. Took me several troubleshooting steps before I checked the obvious.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
Silly question. When you was jumping from your truck, did you ground the 2 vehicles together? You may have a dead spot in your motor if it happens again.
Yes, I used the battery in my truck hooked up the same way I used the battery sitting next to the step motor except 10 feet of wire shorter. A SOLID 12V with full amps apparently did the trick.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #10
SCS

Tiffin Owners Club
developed the same problem since yesterday although the motor runs a bit up and stops, and when extending runs the steps about 2 inches and stops, its as though the gear inside slipped and now only allows about 1/2 inch of travel before the arm contacts the housing???
Old 10-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Since the steps stop either way due to the resistence of being fully extended and retracted, the first step is check they are lubed properly. It doesn't take much resistence to stop them with a little rust present.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #12

If Turkey were attacked from the rear, do you suppose "Grease" would help?

Tags
kwikee