Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2016, 09:26 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Kwikee step problem.

Steps were working intermittently and now they are not working at all. They are stuck in the retracted position. Is there anyway to get them to open manually so I can get to the motor, control module, etc. Also when you turn on the switch inside it clicks twice and nothing happens. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
dtucker3usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #2

Do you have a manual for your step system, with the troubleshooting guide ?
Single step , two or three stairs?
When you say clicking , is that noise coming from the control module ?
Old 04-22-2016, 09:46 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
It is a 2 step system. no I don't have the manual. With the steps retracted it is hard to tell where the clicking is coming from. It is a good possibility that the sound is coming from the control module it is hard to tell.
dtucker3usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #4

Power Gear , the former company that distributed Kwikee steps, has been bought up by, Lippert. I think this link will still get you to a site where you can download a manual.

Power gear

As for moving the steps for access to the motor when they won't extend . I know I've done it but can't remember the exact process.
Could involve removing the cotter pin and the connecting pin that attaches the drive mechanism to the stairs themselves.
Now I have to go out and look under my coach to refresh my memory.

I'll be back !
Old 04-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #5

You might try tapping on the step motor with a hammer as a temporary measure to get working briefly.

96 Bounder 36S 460. Pulling as many quads as I can fit on the trailer or get started!
Old 04-22-2016, 10:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtucker3usa View Post
Steps were working intermittently and now they are not working at all. They are stuck in the retracted position. Is there anyway to get them to open manually so I can get to the motor, control module, etc. Also when you turn on the switch inside it clicks twice and nothing happens. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
dtucker3usa
Remove the Cotter Pin and pull the Clevis Pin.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:49 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Yes, there should be a pin / cotter pin that you remove to release the arm and let the steps swing down.

My first move would be to carefully evaluate all wire connections & grounds under there. A little bit of corrosion goes a long way... If the steps don't get full voltage they will probably act wonky or not at all.

Good luck!
Old 04-22-2016, 10:50 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Good job Mel - you beat me to the reply!
Old 04-22-2016, 10:51 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Our MH is still in storage, but I believe the steps motor has a dedicated ground wire. The first thing I would do is clean the ground wire connections.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The step may just be stuck. The intermittent working makes me believe they may need lubricating. I would try pulling down and out on the step while someone opens the door. The two clicks could be the relay engaging and disengaging
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #11

Mel S beat me to it also. Just had to replace motor on ours this week.
rambler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:33 PM   #12

kwikee door issues

well.. i've been dealing with my steps for awhile...a quick way to operate them is to disconnect the wiring connection under the rv...hook up 2 leads and run to the battery..a quick touch on positive and negative with extend and then reverse them will retract,,
gastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:48 PM   #13

kwikee step issue solved

well. i had been dealing with intermittent step in and outs for awhile,then it quit.,i hooked up a switch and bypassed the control going right to the motor,,,worked great.but was always worried someone might forget to retract before taking off..i was all set to purchase the kwikee motor conversion kit and fix it right,,,something told me to go and troubleshoot one more time..had already checked the grounds etc..this time. checked the chassis 4 wire plug again.power everywhere except only 6 volts from red wire to ground..replaced that half of the plug..$4..works brand new again..Trust your readings on your meter,,,Yeehaa
gastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:28 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaddinmad40 View Post
You might try tapping on the step motor with a hammer as a temporary measure to get working briefly.

96 Bounder 36S 460. Pulling as many quads as I can fit on the trailer or get started!
Recently, my steps quit working intermittently in the retracted position. I tried tapping the motor with a hammer and that made it work once. So it was time to crawl under there and take a look. I watched as someone opened and closed the door, didn't hear anything. After watching several YouTube videos, I saw that removing the motor was as easy as removing 3 bolts. If tapping it with a hammer made it work occasionally, I suspected the brushes inside the motor were dirty with carbon.

After removing the motor, there were 3 phillips screws I removed to disassemble the motor and get to the brushes. I lightly sanded the rotor and brushes, reassembled it and put it back on the steps, and voila...they work better now than ever. It saved me $125 from buying a new motor.
South Florida https://knotatsea.blogspot.com
brenthg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee