Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
kwikee step removal

Steeps not working, ordered new one but can't find all the nuts to let them down. do I need to extend the steps to find them?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Spending Christmas & New Year in Congress Arizona. Next Quartsite and/or Yuma
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
I have out my Kwikee manual #875 its for a 2 step model. I don't see a removal section but under installation it instructs to have steps extended.
Tech number I have in manual is 800-736-9961. The manual has a number of electrical trouble shooting steps and recommends ensuring a "good ground and 12V power".
It also said a minimum of 4 mounting screws should be used, and the picture I'm looking at has about 12 possible holes, all going to the bottom surface of RV.
Good Luck. I will be online for about 2 more hours, let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
The steps don't extend. that's why I'm changing them. any suggestions
Old 09-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's a tough one, the steps have to be out to access the nuts.
Do you hear the step motor try to run when you open and close the door?
If so I'd lube the step pivot points really good and let it set for a while. Then have someone else open and close the door while you push on the steps. Sometimes a little push well get the stops to move.
Check to see that you have 12v going to the step.
Good luck.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Spending Christmas & New Year in Congress Arizona. Next Quartsite and/or Yuma
By the way if you fill out the signature block in user cp and list the; year, model of RV it helps folks on here to be more informative and specific to your problem.
I for one am at present dealing with a black tank issue .
Old 09-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I understand your steps are not out, I gave the tech number to Kwikee so you could go to the source and get their advice on how to deploy the steps.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Android app does not show signature information either.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
checked my signature information and it all looks correct. what's missing.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 1999 Winnebago suncruser, wiring diagrams says that it has a step kill switch. Where is it located,
Old 09-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #10

I have had had a similar problem, several times, there is a pin that you can pull, has a cotter key, this will let the steps come loose from the elect motor swing arm, then you have access to the bolts holding the motor and swing arm to the step mount. In my case, I found some metal parts loose inside the gear box, I cleaned it up, regreased, and haven't had any more problems. I had looked at getting new parts from Kwikee but they are pricey. I had just changed a window regulator on a 99 ford crown vic, and low and behold, they had the exact same motor, so it now sits on the shelf for next time.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsucajun View Post
checked my signature information and it all looks correct. what's missing.

Everything!
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:35 PM   #12

When mine wouldn't come out, let the wife open the door while I tapped the motor with a hammer, and the step came down. Just be careful, the steps can hurt you if you get caught by them. It worked every time mine stuck.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:12 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Now, I'm not a pro at this, just helped friend recently, we were able to get the steps down by pulling the nut on the arm, only to find out theres 3 different lenght arms, and we had the wrong one, now his rig was a 95 Safari and the switch on the door was broken, so we changed it, only to find out the switch operation on the new one was different along with the kill switch, so we had to change both, just the pitfalls we encountered. but like Steve said, if you can get the arm free, the steps will move, Good Luck

Tags
kwikee, removal