Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2019, 04:58 PM   #1

Kwikee Step Retract Issue

I know there are several threads out there already regarding step retracting issues, but I haven't seen one with my particular symptoms. Last week we were at an RV park and after the steps extended we activated the "Entry Step" switch which "Locks Out" the steps so they don't retract every time you close the door. When we went to leave, we de-activated the "Entry Step" switch, but when we closed the door it did not retract. We started the RV and it still did not retract. We drove it the short distance home and shut it down while I researched. (This has happened one other time but the step retracted while driving home, but this time it did not.) My suspicion was the "Entry Step" switch not functioning correctly, as the only other time we have had an issue was after using the switch. After a week I went back up to the RV and checked again, but the step still would not retract. I then decided to start the RV with the door closed, and the step retracted!! Wow, I thought the problem had somehow resolved itself! I opened and closed the door several times with the engine running and it worked fine. I was a little disappointed that I hadn't had the opportunity to determine the problem, but was glad it was fixed. I shut the engine off, and it no longer retracts!! Arggghhh!! I pulled the "Entry Step" switch out and, using my multi-tester, got 12 volts between the wires, and checked the switch for continuity and it worked fine. So, I don't think it's the "Entry Step" switch. It's not the magnetic door switch because the steps retracted and extended normally every time, while the engine was running. The motor and linkage are not binding for the same reason. So, I'm at a loss.....any ideas?

Thanks,

Randy
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #2

The steps are also powered by the ignition key in conjunction with the step switch, as you already know. You might inspect the ignition switch terminals for clean, tight connections.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:04 PM   #3

Because it's intermittent it does make it harder to track down as you don't know if you've found the problem when you're doing something and the steps retract of if something else in the circuit decided to make contact. I'd sure go through all the connections and make sure they are clean and tight.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:12 PM   #4

On our old motor home the step wouldn't operate if the outside temperature was less than 40 degrees. As soon as the air temperature went above that point, the steps worked perfectly. It really wasn't a problem until we wanted to go south in December, then I coaxed it to move with a heat gun.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:59 PM   #5

Those steps often end up with a bad motor. The next time the problem happens to you, grab a rubber mallet. Being very careful where you position yourself, and where you put your hands, reach under there and whack the assembly with the hammer. Preferably whack the motor. If it starts working, your motor is occasionally stopping on a burnt brush area.

You could also just remove the motor and clean it up along with all the connectors. Maybe take the motor to an auto parts store and get new brushes. Sand the commutator maybe.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:13 PM   #6

I always suspect corroded electrical connections.

Grab a can of CRC contact cleaner and lubricant - as well as some dielectric grease. Remove all the old push on connectors (spade lugs), spray them with CRC, wait to dry, dab a minor amount of dielectric grease and reconnect. Hit all the connectors you can find for the circuits involved. Recrimp the cripmed connection while you're at it and don't forget to remove/sand any grounds that go to the chassis/frame.

My MH is an '08 - this simple procedure has fixed; cluster gauges and warning lights, water heater, electric steps, water separator alarm, basement lights, etc.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Those steps often end up with a bad motor. The next time the problem happens to you, grab a rubber mallet. Being very careful where you position yourself, and where you put your hands, reach under there and whack the assembly with the hammer. Preferably whack the motor. If it starts working, your motor is occasionally stopping on a burnt brush area.

You could also just remove the motor and clean it up along with all the connectors. Maybe take the motor to an auto parts store and get new brushes. Sand the commutator maybe.

I have issues periodically......just tap the a hammer 🥴
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:41 PM   #8

Replacement for Kwikee electric steps motor
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 03-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy View Post
I have issues periodically......just tap the a hammer ��
Had a friend who always said "if it doesn't work the first time use a bigger hammer"
Old 03-29-2019, 03:06 PM   #10

Apologies for the delay in following up. I went back to the RV lot yesterday and re-installed the "Entry Step" switch which i verified is working correctly, but again, with the engine shut down the steps would not retract. I started the engine and the steps immediately retracted. I opened and closed the door numerous times, and the step worked perfectly. I shut down the engine, fully expecting everything to stop working again, but this time the steps continued to work perfectly. I don't see it as being a motor issue as it worked as soon as I started the engine, unless the increase in voltage, as the alternator starts up, kicks the motor into working. So, I'm leaning towards the "loose wire somewhere" theory and will try to get to that this weekend. Thanks for all of the ideas!!

Randy
Old 03-29-2019, 08:36 PM   #11

My steps started acting up, than justquit working. I pulled the motor, took it apart, cleaned it all and greased the grease points on motor, cleaned and greased the drive gear. Before I plugged it back in I took needle nose pliers and twisted the flat connecter pins in the motor socket just a little so they would make better connection. That was about 7 or 8 years ago and it is still working good. The new motor I ordered is still in the box. Might try that.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:58 AM   #12

Many step issues tend to be related to corroded grounds and/or failing battery. Check/clean the step ground and double check that your batteries are fully charged.

Kevin
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:13 AM   #13

My Cross country works the following way..... The switch the electrical one that has the red LED must be turned on. This switch is responsible for the electrical functions of the cab. Once the switch is turned on I can turn the step switch off so the step will extend and stay out. The ignition key once turned on will over ride and allow the step to extend and retract. So, if I start the engine the step will retract for safe travel.
Coachmen Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:37 AM   #14

Friend had similar problem and was told by a “technician” that it is commonly the little magnet door switch. He had ordered a new motor in the meantime when we determined it was the cheap little magnetic switch.
medic574 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee