Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question Kwikee Steps

I am wondering if anyone out there knows of a way to check or diagnos the control unit on a 3500 series step. as mine works iradicately,some of the time it will come about halfway out then stop. other times it will come out normally but only retract partway.other times it will work properly.I have checked all electric connections and ground connection, to no avail,don,t know weather to replace the control unit or the motor any info would be appreciated. thanks Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #2

Well this might seem a little simple but when mine does that I grease the heck out of it then open and shut it while pulling on it. Winter roads out here realy play havoc with the undercarriage. Works every time.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
DDQ

Re: Quickee Steps

Careful with the grease although it sounds like a great idea, it is a sticky gluey globby trap . With the road smut I learned the hard way that dirt, grit, sand, etc got in all the linkages and pivot points and wore out the buhings and linkages while traveling from Michigan to Florida during the polar ice cap. I was recommended a spray lubricant that worked quite well. A sales rep at campers world sold this to me. Don't have the name of the lube cause its on my coach and I am at my other home right now. Wow - did I say other home???
Old 04-18-2014, 11:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilcan View Post
I am wondering if anyone out there knows of a way to check or diagnos the control unit on a 3500 series step. as mine works iradicately,some of the time it will come about halfway out then stop. other times it will come out normally but only retract partway.other times it will work properly.I have checked all electric connections and ground connection, to no avail,don,t know weather to replace the control unit or the motor any info would be appreciated. thanks Bill
oilcan
I clean the mechanism of my Kwikee step, (with spray brake cleaner) and lube it, (with WD-40 or lithium grease), it once a year.
If I don't it operates erratically as you describe.
Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
Old 04-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #5

Mel is right on with the exception of WD40 which is a poor lubricant because it evaporates quickly. Look for a spray lube that contains PTFE, it stays on and does not attract dirt etc. Napa or similar Auto Parts stores will have a product for.
Clean with Brake Clean and lube annually and your steps will work smooth as Silk.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If lubrication doesn't work maybe some of the info below will help. I use Kwiklube from Kwikee but some folks say motorcycle chain lube works well. This is some info I have collected over the years from various threads for Kwikee steps. Trouble shooting chart HERE There is a trouble shooting guide HERE If you need sources for motors or parts check the following: Motor PARTS 1 PARTS 2 PARTS 3 __________________________________________________ ______________ " 1) AM Equipment 402 E. Hazel St Jefferson, OR 97352, (541) 327-1546 the motor is $29 plus $7 shipping. 2) Replacement step motor at AutoZone. It's a Siemens "Window Lift Motor", part number WL43003. 3) Autozone. The brand is "Siemens" The ID tag lists the following numbers: 59720-20 121899 4) A 1986-1995 Ford Taurus left front window lift motor matched my motor. NAPA part # BK655-1395 $63.99 I ordered my motor from Auto-Zone Manufactured by Dorman part# 742-206. This has a lifetime Warranty and was $49.99. " Also these guys rebuild the older unencapsulated circuit boards: HERE ********************************************** New info in 2012 ACI Auto/Window Lift Motor (83094) | 1995 Ford F150 1/2 ton P/U 2WD 8 Cylinders N 5.0L EFI | AutoZone.com Aci Auto/Window Lift Motor For your 1995 Ford Truck F150 1/2 ton P/U 2WD 5.0L EFI 8cyl Enlarge Image Part Number: 83094 **************************** On disasembly of the motor I found the plastic plugs severly lopsided due to all the years of strain, new plugs cost $8.00 at Autozone or Amazon, other than that the Autozone Ford Mark VI would have worked $ $44, but I saved myself $38 ********* Just rplaced my 25 series Kwikee step motor with a Dorman 742-277 window lift motor for a 1986 Ford Taurus driver side window lift motor. They said the Taurus had a high torqe motor which is why the number ends with 277 meaning high torqe. My steps zip in and out with this motor application. It was a special order item but only took one day for them to get it to my local AutoZone store. I also noticed AutoZone had rebuild kits for Dorman window lift gear boxes (plastic gears) in the Help section of the store.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:23 AM   #7

Found this on youtube, worthwhile. I was concentrating on the wrong area.

http://youtu.be/OYM7MDO730Q

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 04-14-2015, 10:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilcan View Post
Bill
I don't believe that a "3500 series step" is a Kwikee step, (but I could be wrong).
That said, do you have the Owner's Manual for your step?
My Kwikee owners manual contains a "troubleshooting guide"... (as well as the recommended "care and feeding" instructions).
Mel
'96 Safari

Tags
kwikee, steps