My steps have had a mind of their own since I have owned the my rig. Over the years I have seen a number of problems, starting with extended steps while driving. This happened very early my ownership. I forgot to flip the step switch and was flagged down or something and informed of the extended steps. I accepted it as my fault, flipped the switch, and drove on and monitored the switch a little better. Later, after I studied the manual and wiring diagram I learned the unit was in fact wired wrong. Fixed it but it was kinda red necked.
More problems over the years. Changed the door reed switch ($10 local) and motor ($50 @ AZO) that fixed the problems or at least I thought. I now have a good motor for a spare and am not sure what I did with the good used reed switch. I would have replaced the controller a number of times but it would have been over $200 and I'm just too cheap to spend that much for something that might not fix the problem.
For the last five years the steps would often refuse to extend on the first door opening and I would have to close and reopen the door and they would extend. Sometimes I would have to repeat the process more than once, but not often.
Last year, while replacing the screen in the door I pulled the pin and propped the steps in the retracted position just to get them out of my way. I must have unintentionally done something to the steps because after that they would no longer work at all. A real head scratcher for me!
I found and watch a vid on the proper way to test each operation of the steps and locate the problem. Just had to order a pig tail 4-way connector from Kwikie. Did I mention that I am cheap? I found the connector and pins else where and made my own pig tail and have parts left over for a couple more.
Any way, I went through the process step by step (pun intended) and everything worked! I did find where one wire was bypassing the 4-way connector so I repaired that with the parts I had ordered. I got everything back together and they have not failed to operate properly to this day. Most likely the problem was an intermittent bad connection on the bypass that was not weather tight, but, I can never be sure.
To make a long story short, if you can't find and
verify a defective component, it is very likely in the wiring somewhere!
I think this is the test Video I watched. https://vimeo.com/45602427
Got the connector parts from Ebay: New Delphi Weather Pack 4 Pin Square Connector Kit 12 GA | eBay