Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2017, 08:32 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Kwikee Steps

My rig has Kwikee steps and they stopped working. Do the steps draw power from the house battery or the start battery?

Thanks for any info.

Charles.

Randm Musing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2017, 09:00 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can't remember where the power comes from but, I can tell you that if the door switch fails, it will keep them drawn in or out depending upon what switch you have. I have a couple of diagrams for the steps if I can find them.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:02 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know on our coach, most draw from the start battery. Have you tried the search, there are reams of info on Kwikee steps.

Good luck on your repair.
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a copy of the service manual for Kwikee steps. What exactly is going on with your steps? My door switch failed and the steps were stuck out. After repeatedly getting sent the wrong magnetic switch, I finally got a universal security magnetic switch from Amazon for about $8. It allows you to wire it either normally open or normally closed. My steps have a normally open circuit on the door. Of course, you may just have a blown fuse. I think mine have a blade fuse under the chassis near the motor unit. Good luck.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hit3v05fgm...anual.pdf?dl=0
Old 09-17-2017, 09:34 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
[QUOTE=sccowboy;3808704] What exactly is going on with your steps?

Mine failed open. I disconnected the actuator arm and tied them in until I can get back to them.

Thanks for the info and the manual.

Charles.
Randm Musing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If they failed in the open position, locate the door switch and make sure that both halves are there. There should be the piece on the door frame and a small matching piece on the screen door. When they separate, the steps go out, when together they come in. IF yours is like mine, with the ignition key on, they should cycle with the door but if it is off they go out and stay. There is also an override switch on some models (like mine) that allows the steps to always cycle with the door regardless of ignition key position. You may try turning on the ignition, then just clip one of the wires on the door switch.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #7

To my knowledge the steps are normally wired to the coach battery so that if the house battery cutout switch is on the steps still have power.
The advice is correct on the door switch, usually the culprit in in a step failure and the first thing to check. There is also usually a separate fuse to the steps, sometimes attached to the power inlet wire to the steps.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:15 AM   #8

My Kwikee steps stopped working last weekend while in the out position, just as we were going to pull out of the rv park of course. I could hear a faint clicking noise, so I assumed they were getting power. Went underneath with a hammer (what else do you use on a motorhome?) but could not get them to move. Ended up taking the mechanism off the steps (4 bolts) and ratchet straps the steps up until we got home. I bench tested the motor and attached mechanism and it worked just fine. Before I put it back on the motorhome, I lubed it generously with slideout lube. This is the stuff that sprays on, then gels. The steps didn't work this well when the unit was new. Now, on to replacing a solenoid for the right rear jack. As a footnote, I found the manual for the steps useless. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:24 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Always, check for grounds. The steps and wiring are right out there in the elements and often loose the ground. I've fixed a few with just a wrench and turning the ground bolt a few times. Yes when you find it then just disconnect the power so you don't get your hand caught and R&R the lug and of course scrape it well, install then cover with spray lacquer to slow down the corrosion.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:53 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Mine wouldn't work last month. I found out that the coach (starting battery) was bad. Had it replaced and everything worked.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:15 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandpaRick View Post
My Kwikee steps stopped working last weekend while in the out position, just as we were going to pull out of the rv park of course. I could hear a faint clicking noise, so I assumed they were getting power. Went underneath with a hammer (what else do you use on a motorhome?) but could not get them to move. Ended up taking the mechanism off the steps (4 bolts) and ratchet straps the steps up until we got home. I bench tested the motor and attached mechanism and it worked just fine. Before I put it back on the motorhome, I lubed it generously with slideout lube. This is the stuff that sprays on, then gels. The steps didn't work this well when the unit was new. Now, on to replacing a solenoid for the right rear jack. As a footnote, I found the manual for the steps useless. Good luck.

I think the service guide mentions lubricating the steps at certain key points so you have effectively accomplished routine maintenance.

Tags
kwikee, steps