Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #15

Ok let me explain..If you use the wrong door switch and if the step is OUT and the override switch is OFF and the door is closed all is well. THEN when you turn the key ON the step will not retract automatically because it thinks the door is OPEN. You drive away and wipe your new step off from underneath. If it was as simple as reversing the motor polarity they wouldn't include a new door switch with the kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet
I am 99.9% sure that ALL motorhomes that use the Kwikee steps come with the same switch
Absoluely wrong. Earlier models were opposite of those being produced today.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #16
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Try it. If it works, it is right. If it doesn't work send PowerGear/Kwikee an email on their web site with the problem. They have the right answer.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:24 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with 94 newmar. There are several posts on this. What happens if I remember correctly is the new motor is made to work with the new configuration of switch ( either NO or NC I do not remember which) People change the new controller and motor and leave the old switch there because it worked. Now you have the condition you are talking about the motor thinks that the door is open when it is closed and closed when it is open. It is very easy to figure out whether it is the switch or reversed leads.

Close the door and get the steps out. Disable the switch that allows the steps to work when the door opens and closes so that the steps are out no matter what position the door is in. Lock the door in the full open position. Turn the ignition key on. If the steps go in then the motor is working and wired correctly. If the steps do not move then close the door. If the steps do not move when you close the door the motor is wired with reverse polarity.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:48 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Replace the door switch with the correct one.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:15 AM   #19

A simple check with a meter or test light will tell if the switch is different. But a call to them is even easier if you get someone that knows something.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:22 AM   #20

had same problem. just order a white switch if you have a black switch or black if you have white.
thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:08 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Yup, wrong switch.... the open vs closed switch is correct. You have wrong one.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #22

WOW! I am a new member and have come to this site before just to look but this is my first post. Thank you, all for your great thoughts and ideas. I do have the new switch that came with the unit. I will play with it first before crawling underneath (if I have to) to switch out wires. When I did this originally I ate a lot of greasy dirt and rust specks--yum. Not anxious to do that again but if I have to..........
flintw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Flint try my suggestion first. It should tell you which one is bad without having to do anything other than open door and turn ignition key. But you are probably going to find out installing the new switch will fix it. I am only urging you to try my idea because I am curious to see if it will show you which is bad. It sounds good in theory but theory does not always stand up to a good practical test
Old 06-26-2014, 07:28 AM   #24

I replaced the door switch and much to my surprise it fixed the problem. How does the new controller unit need a new switch to operate properly? Beats me. I was just glad I didn't need to go under the unit AGAIN and have oily dirt fall in my face as before when switching wires. Works good now. YEAH! Thanks everybody for your help.
flintw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:21 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Kwikee changed the switch to prevent the steps from coming out while underway. The old switch was holding in while underway. If the gap between the switch and the magnet got too wide, the steps would go out. With the new step switch, if the switch and magnet get too far away the step will go in. The old way the switch closed when the door closed. the new way the switch closes when the door is opened. This is just a design change to protect the steps from going out underway.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Kwikee changed the switch to prevent the steps from coming out while underway. The old switch was holding in while underway. If the gap between the switch and the magnet got too wide, the steps would go out. With the new step switch, if the switch and magnet get too far away the step will go in. The old way the switch closed when the door closed. the new way the switch closes when the door is opened. This is just a design change to protect the steps from going out underway.
I wondered if that was the reason that they made the change. I saw a MH going down the road the other day and they had the steps going in and out while driving down the road. I tried to get their attention and tell them about their problem but they did not realize what I was pointing to. Hopefully they will find out before the steps hit something and get ripped off.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
THANKS for letting us know the solution, and ga traveler for explaining why. Its a good day when I learn something new!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:56 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
The older units work on different contact switches they are backwards from the new control units. One works on open contact and the other works off closed contacts.
Yep--- I changed our out a few yrs ago and they changed from closed to open magnetic switch on the door
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps, kwikee