Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2015, 03:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBobby View Post
drtuck

My 12volt power supply was a lithium jump start set I recently purchased. If you ready the spec label on the motor it likely says 10.4 volts ( minimum power to operate). My initial intent was to replace the motor until I saw the damaged teeth in the gear assy. I pondered what may have caused this and the only thing that came to mind was maybe the motor and gear assy were not properly aligned. If you look at the picture of the case you will see two round stops where the actuating arm rests when the steps are fully opened and closed. I'm guessing the steps may have been fully closed, but there was still space between the stop and actuating arm, which allowed the motor to keep turning, thus damaging the gear teeth. When I install the motor I'm going to position the steps in the fully open position and the arm against the open stop.

If there are other suggestions or a proper manufacture recommendation someone please chime in.
When I had my problem with the motor going bad I called Lippert and was told the steps need to be in the full open position when installing the motor. When the motor went bad it also took out the step controller and I found that ETrailer.com had the exact replacement with lipperts name on it for $40 less than lippert wanted and lipperts was on back order for 10 to 12 weeks. Here are the two places I have found most of the parts I need at a reasonable price. Etrailer.com & PPLmotorhomes.com/parts
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2015, 03:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardint View Post
What brand car do you look at for a motor replacement ??? Thanks
As I understand from a friend it is a window motor actuater from a Ford Taurus which includes the arm at about $39
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:44 PM   #17

Good thing to try. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:46 PM   #18

Thank you for this info. I will remember it when I re-install the steps.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:57 PM   #19

My motor is just stripped. I can move steps in and out with my hand. Have new motor coming and I was wondering where the steps need to be when I reinstall. Thanks to this forum I now know how. I guess if they were up you couldn't get to the motor, right??

HR Ambassador 38 PDQ 360DP
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Post #15 says steps out
Old 09-23-2015, 06:50 PM   #21

I think you will find the motor will figure out which way to go if you open and close the door a few times. The motor will stop against resistance and reverse it self because of the module!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
gmann55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:05 PM   #22

step motor replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
As I understand from a friend it is a window motor actuater from a Ford Taurus which includes the arm at about $39
The motor that I got from my CARQUEST here in town was from a 1987 Taurus and was a RH2 which I believe means a right hand window motor. I installed it on my gear train and got it backwards. Guess that you have to be pretty thick to do that right? Anyway, gave it up for today and will work on removing it and replacing it tomorrow some time. I purchased it for $53.68. Not a bad price seeing as my little town only has 3K people and I would have to drive over 100 miles (one way) to the next parts store. It came with 4 different wiring harness's also. Disconnecting (and re-connecting ) the arm from the steps with the pin and cotter pin was the biggest thing about the removal. Finally figured out the alignment problem with replacing the pin thru the connector arm and it slid together like it was meant to do. Had my wife under the RV "helping" me replace it. Hope you have better success.
Dan
Old 09-26-2015, 04:51 AM   #23

Hi Dan,
Quote:
I installed it on my gear train and got it backwards.
what part did you install backwards? Are the steps working properly now?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:15 AM   #24

Sorry for the late update... Everything is working as designed, which is really appreciated with my recent knee replacement.😀
PapaBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:15 PM   #25

Had to replace my step motor. Bought a new one from Car Quest Auto parts store here in town. The parts tech and I spent quite a bit of time going thru different years of the Ford Taurus. Finally found the correct one from a 1987 Ford Taurus, car quest part number is 742-276, and was labeled in the IPB as Window Lift Motor, RH2, DOR. Was price listed at $79.99, my price was $47.99 + 6.5% Utah state tax. Disassembled my old motor and found the original problem was a broken Motor brush and brush holder which had fallen onto the motor commuter jamming/locking it up tight. Replaced the brush and holder, re-assembled the motor, tested it to make sure it would run both ways and now have an extra one to use or to sell. Anyone interested can send me an email and I will get back to you ASAP.
Dan
Old 09-28-2015, 09:05 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
The kwikee steps are going in and out , but they make a loud squealing sound for 30 40 secs. once they are in. I have done as the lubrication maintence as instructed in operators manual. This just started all at once , had not a proublem untill now . The coach is 2015 Winnebago 27N. Just about one year old.
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:03 PM   #27

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Greg, Where are all the connections you played with? Any under the dash near the switch or are they all underneath by the step motor?

Mine just stopped working with the steps extended. I'm going to try checking the screen door as someone mentioned. But a number of other issues just started near the switch such as the porch light going off and the awning stopped working all around the same time as the steps.

Any thoughts much appreciated. Thanks.
Andy_Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
4-Conductor Connector Replacement

My steps don't work periodically. When they fail I set the conditions for proper operation (door open if they are stuck in and door closed if they are stuck out) and crawl under the coach and fiddle with the 4-conductor connector. When the steps start working I am done until next time.

I know that I can get some generic connectors and replace the Kwikee-proprietary set, but I'm thinking that I might regret that later should I need a shop to troubleshoot the problem or replace the steps.

Any suggestions?

Also, all versions of these steps don't use the same motor. I bought one that had been lauded on iRV2 by mail order. It looked right, but the bolt pattern wasn't exactly right. I found a Qwikee on sale and it slipped right in, but didn't fix the problem (that turned out to be the connector). I now carry the old motor as a spare. I wish I had done as suggested in this thread - take the old one to a local parts store.

Tags
kwikee, repair, steps