Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2014, 07:18 AM   #1

Kwikee Steps not retracting all the way

on our 2001 tradewinds Kwikee entrance steps retract about 3/4 of the way. Sometime ago, I hit an orange cone through a construction site (another story) and bent the steps straighten the best I could on the road. Now, I have removed the steps, straighten them where there is no bind and they still stop about 3/4 of the way up (same as before).Also as they are raising you can take your hand and gently push them and they will go all the way up. Question, is it any adjustment on the steps? Or has anyone had this kind of problem and have a solution.Thanks
Happy Trails
Larry

Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragman View Post
on our 2001 tradewinds Kwikee entrance steps retract about 3/4 of the way. Sometime ago, I hit an orange cone through a construction site (another story) and bent the steps straighten the best I could on the road. Now, I have removed the steps, straighten them where there is no bind and they still stop about 3/4 of the way up (same as before).Also as they are raising you can take your hand and gently push them and they will go all the way up. Question, is it any adjustment on the steps? Or has anyone had this kind of problem and have a solution.Thanks
Happy Trails
Larry
Larry
I have a similar problem with my 17 year old Kwikee step, (although I have never hit anything).

My step problem is caused by the binding of 1 of the 2 bushings in which a 1" diameter shaft is supposed to freely rotate.
Because one of those bushings is frozen/rusted to the shaft, the bushing always/only rotates in the steel plate through which it is installed.
If/when that frozen bushing binds to/in the plate my step works as you describe.

Every couple of years, I have to disconnect the step from the linkage, (by removing a cotter pin and the 1/4" X 2" connecting pin), and lube the bushing with penetrating oil while retracting and extending the step manually until it once again operates freely.

BTW, in my case it appears that the bushing is not a replaceable part and that the only permanent solution would be a new set of steps.

Good luck with yours.

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles

Old 01-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Page 13 of attached PDF has what Lubrication needs done.

Clean all mud, salt, and road grime from the step before lubricating. Lubricate all moving parts (bearings, pivot points, slides, clevis pin, and drive linkage ball) every 30 days with a good quality moisture and heat resistant penetrating grease.

KwikLube Spray Grease is specially formulated to lubricate Kwikee Electric Steps and is recommended for lubricating all moving parts. NOTE: Silicone lubricants and WD-40 are not recommended.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KwikeeStepManual Repair.pdf (1.20 MB, 116 views)
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Mine did the exact same thing-- they would stop about 3/4 in and if used my foot while they were in motion they would go all the way in.
In my case I lubed as suggested above and re-adjusted the stop cams and that solved the issue.
NHRA225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #5

I'll second that motion to lube on a regular basis especially if you are in a humid climate.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #6

Thanks guys, appreciate your input. I do lubricate my steps a couple of times a year using DuPont Teflon dry lubricant. I also replaced the drive link shaft going from the linkage assembly to the steps.Thanks to Triker56 I will read the manual and tried to figure out how to adjust the stop cam. Sounds like it could be the problem.
Happy Trails
Larry
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I had a similar event on another motorhome... It turned out to be a broken pinion gear tooth. It was stuck in the larger gear and would not advance under its own power. But if you helped it along, it would pass the jammed portion of the gear and retract fully...
Old 01-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #8

My problem with the steps is on the left side facing the coach is very loose like and when stepping on the steps it drops a lot. Right side is okay. I have looked for broken bolts or other parts and have none. When parked I put blocks under the step so the movement is stopped. When traveling the step has no block so one has to try to put weight on the right side. Any thoughts?

Tags
kwikee, steps