Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-24-2015, 02:33 PM   #1
Kwikee steps problem

I got in a little bit too much of a hurry yesterday when getting in my RV (2011 Four Winds Thor Hurricane). My 2-step kwikee steps were in the process of extending and I stepped on them before they were all the way out in the locked position. Now, they are malfunctioning big time. I crawled under it today to work on it. I unhooked the linkage to see if the motor would work without the steps connected to the linkage. The motor works, but it runs too long before it shuts off. It runs so long that it runs off the gear. Should I replace the motor?
(I tried to attach a pic of the motor)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thor step motor.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	104543  

Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2015, 02:52 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here are several items that should help. If you do a search you should be able to locate the original threads if needed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kwikee step motor from Autozone.pdf (480.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: pdf Kwikee step motor replacement.pdf (1.16 MB, 29 views)
File Type: pdf Step motor part numbers.pdf (466.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: pdf Steps.pdf (1.23 MB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf Wiring7543.pdf (272.3 KB, 26 views)

Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:16 PM   #3
If you need a motor take yours to a local auto parts store and pay 1/3 what kwikee or RV parts places charge. The motors are window motors from many model vehicles.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:29 PM   #4

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I was able to replace the motor and it solved the problem. A quick point of note - I found that O'Reilly's Auto Parts, AutoZone, and Advance Auto all had the motor. As long as you ask for the front driver's side window motor for a 1989 Ford Taurus, they all look as though they will work. Of course, you will have to use your old connector with all of them. O'Reilly's had the lowest price at $42.99. I ended up getting mine at Advance Auto for $45.99 because it is closer to my house. Another point of note - out of curiosity I went by an RV Shop and they were charging $207.99 for the same motor.

The installation of the motor went fairly smoothly. Although if I were to give any advice it would be to put a small drop of super glue on the 6 spacers to hold them in place while installing the motor. This eliminated quite a bit of frustration in dealing with gravity while laying under the steps in the installation process.

Thanks again guys for saving me quite a bit of money!
Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the update and advice.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:15 PM   #6
You probably only needed to replace the 3 plastic drive plugs. For about 6 bucks. That is what mine needed when I too jumped on them too quick.

1997 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126

rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote

kwikee, steps