Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2015, 04:37 PM   #1

Kwikee steps stoped working

I have a 1997 beaver motorhome built in 1996. It has a single kwikee step on it. Recently the step stopped working all together. No motion or sound at all. Today I crawled underneath and checked the cable from the coach side of the wiring, per the Kwikee instruction manual. All the voltage measurements were correct and the ignition switch voltage toggled as well as the door switch. There is absolutely no sound at all from the motor. I would think that if the motor had a problem, it would at least make some noise. Also the step light does not come on.
If it is the controller, are replacements available and can you recommend any thing I could do to get my steps working again.
Thanks John at RanchoT@msn.com or 805-465-0107
RanchoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoT View Post
I have a 1997 beaver motorhome built in 1996. It has a single kwikee step on it. Recently the step stopped working all together. No motion or sound at all. Today I crawled underneath and checked the cable from the coach side of the wiring, per the Kwikee instruction manual. All the voltage measurements were correct and the ignition switch voltage toggled as well as the door switch. There is absolutely no sound at all from the motor. I would think that if the motor had a problem, it would at least make some noise. Also the step light does not come on.
If it is the controller, are replacements available and can you recommend any thing I could do to get my steps working again.
Hate to sound like a broken record, but, have you ever lubed them? The number one cause of failure on these steps is lack of lube. WD40 is not considered lube.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:59 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Get the manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoT View Post
If you go to the Qwikee web site you can download a Qwikee manual that will tell you how to test and trouble shoot the step. It is very good and I used it to test my step that quit working. It was the magnetic door switch in my case.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:43 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds like you may need new motor or gear housing if nothing else works.
I have found changing of parts can be expensive when you finally figure its the gear that may come off its pivot in gear housing.

You can detach the lever to steps and see with step disconnected if things operate plus remove motor from gear housing and see if that works.

There are three ground wiring points that you may want to check the heavy green wire to chassis frame, one from door switch to chassis frame which always gets the dirties and needs cleaning and than the last one that comes out of control to one of its mounting screws.

Here is a place that I have had good luck with parts.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:22 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
kwikee steps

I just replaced the motor on mine ($80) through Amazon. To test the motor, just cut the two wires leading to the motor and hook them to a + and - source, if the steps don't go in or out it's the motor. The fact that the light is not on, sounds like the controller to me (which I replaced a couple of years ago).
Old 06-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #6

On mine 1997 model winnebago the motor leads had connection made inside a cover that was fastened with a screw. Check this connection when mine quit that was the problem. James
kysportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:48 AM   #7

Don't forget to be especially critical of the retract override switch and the door switch(es).

I had a baffling scenario that's not exactly as the OP, but I offer it anyway, just in case.

On one occasion and one occasion only, my steps retracted and wouldn't extend no matter what. All voltages measured per the book and the door switch was functioning as designed. the motor was dead quiet.

As part of trouble-shooting, I removed the motor from the step. It was hard to pull the motor out of the transmission - it felt like the gears were loaded up.

The motor ran fine when it was free of the transmission. I reinstalled it and it's worked fine ever since - over a year now.

My theory is that somehow on one instance, the motor overran the limit switch and bound up the transmission, consequently stalling the motor. I can't explain why that happened but it's the only theory I can dream up.

If I remember right, the step light DID operate in my situation; that's a major difference from the OP's description. The fact that his light isn't working would make me focus on the magnetic door switch or the controller if the DC voltages to the step are all good.
195pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:51 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Bang em with a hammer from underneath. That actually works.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:27 AM   #9

This topic is posted so often it should be on perma-link.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
This topic is posted so often it should be on perma-link.
No doubt!!

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is some info I have collected over the years from various threads for Kwikee steps. Maybe there is some info that will help.

Trouble shooting chart HERE

There is a trouble shooting guide HERE

If you need sources for motors or parts check the following:

Motor

PARTS 1

PARTS 2

PARTS 3

__________________________________________________ ______________
" 1) AM Equipment 402 E. Hazel St Jefferson, OR 97352, (541) 327-1546 the motor is $29 plus $7 shipping.

2) Replacement step motor at AutoZone. It's a Siemens "Window Lift Motor", part number WL43003.

3) Autozone. The brand is "Siemens"
The ID tag lists the following numbers:
59720-20
4) A 1986-1995 Ford Taurus left front window lift motor matched my motor. NAPA part # BK655-1395 $63.99 I ordered my motor from Auto-Zone Manufactured by Dorman part# 742-206. This has a lifetime Warranty and was $49.99. "

Also these guys rebuild the older unencapsulated circuit boards: HERE

New info in 2012
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...4_1356%2C78656

Aci Auto/Window Lift Motor

For your 1995 Ford Truck F150 1/2 ton P/U 2WD 5.0L EFI 8cyl
Enlarge Image
Part Number: 83094

On disasembly of the motor I found the plastic plugs severly lopsided due to all the years of strain, new plugs cost $8.00 at Autozone or Amazon, other than that the Autozone Ford Mark VI would have worked $ $44, but I saved myself $38
Just rplaced my 25 series Kwikee step motor with a Dorman 742-277 window lift motor for a 1986 Ford Taurus driver side window lift motor. They said the Taurus had a high torqe motor which is why the number ends with 277 meaning high torqe. My steps zip in and out with this motor application. It was a special order item but only took one day for them to get it to my local AutoZone store. I also noticed AutoZone had rebuild kits for Dorman window lift gear boxes (plastic gears) in the Help section of the store.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
The post about getting the manual and going through the troubleshooting steps is right on. I will add that, the motors are pretty quiet, and they only stay on for a couple of seconds anyway, so unless you are laying on the ground you might not hear it. I had a similar problem, and things had just gotten a little loose, causing a jam. I took it all apart, lubed it up inside where the gears are, put it back together and lubed all the stair parts and everything worked great. Give it a try.
NINK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee, steps