Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #1

kwikee steps stuck

My kwikee steps on the coach are stuck out. I can't get them back in. I have tested all fuses and switches. All are good and getting power to the motor on the steps. Need to leave for a trip in morning and want to get the steps in for now. So first what do I do to get the steps in? If I take some bolts apart is it going to spring back or just stay in place? Is it under any type of pressure? Second has anyone had this problem and have advise on if it is the motor? Thanks

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #2

Is the door switch a magnetic contact switch or a contact switch? If it is magnetic try placing a magnet next to it to see if the step come in. If it is a contact switch try manually closing the switch with your finger or a tool to see if the steps cycle in.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Aren't these driven by an auto window motor? Maybe there's your culprit?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsjones11 View Post
My kwikee steps on the coach are stuck out. I can't get them back in. I have tested all fuses and switches. All are good and getting power to the motor on the steps. Need to leave for a trip in morning and want to get the steps in for now. So first what do I do to get the steps in? If I take some bolts apart is it going to spring back or just stay in place? Is it under any type of pressure? Second has anyone had this problem and have advise on if it is the motor? Thanks

Steve
I assume these are automatic that open and close when the door is opened and closed. Try this open the door and turn off the step switch by the door. This will keep your steps in the out position while you work on them. You can crawl under the front side of the steps and look for a bolt with a cotter pin that holds the motor arm to to the steps. Remove the cotter pin and bolt this should free up the steps. See if you can move them in and out by hand and check the steps for anything that may be binding them. If they seem to move alright you can put some silicone spray on the moving parts. Now turn the steps switch back on with the steps disconnected. And have some open and close the door to see if the step motor and arm move accordingly. If it does you can try reconnecting the step arm and try again.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to iRV2.
We have a great search resource. look here

http://www.irv2.com/forums/search.php?searchid=6832425
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee, steps