Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
L P Detector Replacement

I was told to replace my LP detector, that they get "tired" after about 5 years.

My coach is a 2003. The LP leak detector was replaced in 2006, I know because it had the manufacturer date on it.

But I bought a new unit and it only has 2 wires. The unit in the coach has a plug coming from three wires to a plug on the coach side. I'm not an electrician. The third wire is red with a silver line on it, in addition to the regular red and black. I don't want to cut that plug, would rather replace it with one that will just plug into it.....

Should I just call Fleetwood and order one from them that fits the? It would be probably exhorbitant in price.....

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My CO detector needed replacement recently. It beeped for no known reason. I got a new one from FW and it had a date on it with advice to change it out every 5 years. My MH was only 3 1/2 years old at the time.

I would replace it if it says to do so in 5 years. Doesn't pay to fool with these potential life saving devices.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
My CO detector needed replacement recently. It beeped for no known reason. I got a new one from FW and it had a date on it with advice to change it out every 5 years. My MH was only 3 1/2 years old at the time.

I would replace it if it says to do so in 5 years. Doesn't pay to fool with these potential life saving devices.
Yep, guess I'll call them. Thought I could install the one I bought at CW but not without that wire relay.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #4

I know some of the detectors had a relay that went to the propane cutoff next to the LP Tank. That may be where your third wire goes. I am not sure if the new ones have the cut off relay or not. Not much help for you, but just a thought.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyEOD View Post
I know some of the detectors had a relay that went to the propane cutoff next to the LP Tank. That may be where your third wire goes. I am not sure if the new ones have the cut off relay or not. Not much help for you, but just a thought.
Ah, very good....hadn't thought of that! All the more reason to call FW.

Thanks!!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If yours has the wire to the shut-off solenoid at the LP tank, you are out of luck becasue nobody makes those anymore. The LP installation standards in NFP 1192 no longer require a shut off, so nobody builds them any more. Fleetwood can't hep you cause they can't buy them either.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:04 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
If yours has the wire to the shut-off solenoid at the LP tank, you are out of luck becasue nobody makes those anymore. The LP installation standards in NFP 1192 no longer require a shut off, so nobody builds them any more. Fleetwood can't hep you cause they can't buy them either.
Gary. Do you know when these new standards took effect?

Old 02-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post

Well, I don't think mine does, because we never reset it last time it went off, Tina was lighting the oven, and we just opened up the windows and it quit beeping, I guess it could have cut off the lp, but I don't think so....this is a 2003. I'll check with Fleetwood next week.

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2

Well, I don't think mine does, because we never reset it last time it went off, Tina was lighting the oven, and we just opened up the windows and it quit beeping, I guess it could have cut off the lp, but I don't think so....this is a 2003. I'll check with Fleetwood next week.

Thanks!
Please let us know what FW says.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Please let us know what FW says.
Fleetwood (parts) (Scott) (20120217 11:24 CST) says:

They have an adapter pigtail/relay that I can plug in my 2 wire new lp detector to the existing 3 wire harness. He said exactly what Gary said that they quit manufacturing the lp tank cutoff detectors and this harness he is sending just basically caps the 3rd wire to the tank cutoff valve.

8.00 plus shipping. I could have just cut the existing pigtail off the coach side, but this will be better. I can wire up the new LP detector then just plug it in to the existing plug. Could have saved the 10 to 12 bucks, but don't like messing with that 3rd wire coming from the coach and cutting off the coach side pigtail. This will work best for me.

Thanks again!
Old 02-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
If its a CCI Cntrols LP Gas Leak Detector, I believe that the two red wires go to your chassis and house batteries, and the yellow wire goes to the gas shutoff valve in the gas line after the tank shutoff. By having two battery sources, I guess they figured that the power would last longer. If you use the two wire detector, I think you would have to either remove the gas valve, or put an external switch to use to turn the gas valve on and off. Eddie Elk.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:02 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Fleetwood (parts) (Scott) (20120217 11:24 CST) says:

They have an adapter pigtail/relay that I can plug in my 2 wire new lp detector to the existing 3 wire harness. He said exactly what Gary said that they quit manufacturing the lp tank cutoff detectors and this harness he is sending just basically caps the 3rd wire to the tank cutoff valve.

8.00 plus shipping. I could have just cut the existing pigtail off the coach side, but this will be better. I can wire up the new LP detector then just plug it in to the existing plug. Could have saved the 10 to 12 bucks, but don't like messing with that 3rd wire coming from the coach and cutting off the coach side pigtail. This will work best for me.

Thanks again!
Thanks for the update

Tags
replacement