Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
lack of shore power

need help ASAP, its gonna be a cold one tonight!

for the past 2 weeks we've lacked serious power from the shore. We're plugged into the outlet on the garage with a 30amp fuse and for the past 2 years every winter we plug into the same thing, but this year we're lacking power. the microwave won't heat if anything else is on, the heater elec heater we've had for 2 years now won't produce heat if lights are on...

so why a lack of power?? any and all help will be greatly appreciated and looked into immediately!!

Thank You

Chris & Wife!

p.s. because of the lack of power, the furnace blower doesn't blow fast enough either, there is a microswitch inside the blower fan and when it picks up speed it blows a flap that engages the microswitch to allow the ignitor to ignite the propane... without that power, it won't blow fast enough to trigger this switch so the furnace don't even work now....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
lack of shore power

We had similar problem a few months ago. The problem with ours was the coach end of the cord has a twist lock on it and it was partially turned and not making good contact. Twisted it and got good connection again. Hope yours is at least that simple.
e8seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by e8seabee View Post
We had similar problem a few months ago. The problem with ours was the coach end of the cord has a twist lock on it and it was partially turned and not making good contact. Twisted it and got good connection again. Hope yours is at least that simple.
ours don't have the "twist" connect on it, i assume yours is the 50amp? I forgot to mention ours is the 30amp 3 prong, but I'm going outside right now to make sure that everything is tightly connected.

Any other suggestions in case?

EDIT: checked all connections, nothing changed :-(
Old 11-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
anyone else... going to a cold bed soon, any and all help is greatly appreciated...
Old 11-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like the neutral is weak or non-existent. Someone familiar and confident with wiring needs to help you check the outlet; Make sure the screws are tight, and if there's a wirenut connection in there, that needs to be checked as well. If this is a dedicated outlet, the problem may be in the box on the Neutral bus bar... often if the connection is loose, it NEVER gets better, as constant arcing just burn it to the point of uselessness.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
GMRHost, thank you! I am confident with wiring and will check out the outlet and wiring back to the fuse box on the garage soon as we feed cattle tomorrow morning. all the wiring is exposed inside the garage (walls aren't finished) all the way to the breaker box so there is no wire nut anywhere, however there is wire nuts here in the rv where the wires come in to the rv and then go to the breaker box/fuse panel in the rv.... guess i'll have to check those out yet too since i just redid them earlier this fall when i replaced the carpet in the bedroom.... thanks again!!
Old 11-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No problem. I used to work remodeling homes in So Cal with an electrician in my younger days, and my boss had one rule about wire nuts;
"They should be so tight, you could hang from them!" lol.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
What about the genny?
Do you have full power if you crank up the generator?
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
At this point of the night, rather than spend it in the cold, I'd just run another extention cord through a window and plug the heater into that. Chase other problems in the daylight or warmer time.
e8seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
genny is out of the question, were parked about 50' from the old mans bedroom LOL, he'd kill me, and i don't think the cattle would care for it to much.

the ext cord idea would be good but..... 1. i have no clue where another ext cord is and 2. all our windows have screens that don't slide, they just remove but i've never done that before so doing that in the dark would be a task in itself... it think we'll just have puppy cuddle with us... shes 70lbs of somethin to keep warm right? lol
Old 11-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When you have the daylight check your connections in the transfer switch and maybe clean the relay contacts.
Your load center wiring also may want to be looked at also.
AND as someone already suggested run your Gen and see if everything runs OK.
Will prove power cord or your house supply has a problem.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:01 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Woohoo, we made it through the night! Thank god for blankets and a dog lol. Really hope I find something wrong with the wiring... thanks everyone.

Ill stick take other suggestions just in case =)
Old 11-09-2011, 06:29 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Turn ALL your AC breakers off and then flip them back on. Sometimes a partially tripped breaker will make a resistive connection and you will loose voltage through this breaker. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:31 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also, reset the house breaker that feeds your 30 amp shore power. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power