Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2014, 05:28 PM   #15

Keep your Endeavor!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2014, 05:30 PM   #16

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
DocJ, no we do full time in a Phaeton 42LH. You cannot equip a MH like a house.
That's where we differ in philosophy. We have a rather large array of cooking appliances, a set of AllClad cookware and a set of porcelain dinnerware, an embroidery sewing machine, a serger and an entire storage bay full of fabric, and an air compressor, to name just a few things. We have a residential refrigerator which is almost always full and the cabinets devoted to food storage are always kept full so we can make nearly any kind of meal without going to the store. Our MH isn't overloaded from a weight perspective but we don't know of any awards given for having unused storage space.

I'm not saying that our approach is better than yours, but we have no interest in reducing our possessions any more than necessary. Why should we? This is our home!

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:50 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
HMMMM

We moved all of the stuff from a 41' 5er into a 42' MH. Mind you we did not move the motorcyles across but there are substanially more (and deeper) cupboards in the MH than the 5er. I know I am comparing apples to oranges!

It is hard to describe but it seems to me DW has almost the same stuff in both the MH and the S&B. We have toaster oven, panini press, capachino maker, keurig, dutch oven, dinner ware, cutlery, knife block, pressure cooker, serving blowls, serving plates, boards for crackers, chips, cheese, etc. 4 different frying pans plus a stovetop griddle for pancakes. It can be overwhelming. We have specialty bowls for salad, different bowls for chinese food for the individual. At the list goes on.

While it is impossible for me to compare directly both domiciles but I am pleased with each.

IMO we will fill the available space with stuff we think we need. Sometimes a little (or lot) less space makes us re-evaluate what is really important to us and not just fill those locations with stuff because we might need it and have the room.

Do we really need a bowl for fruit, a different bowl for ice cream and a cereal bowl as well? After all ice cream from a cereal bowl tastes just as good as from a bowl half the size. . . . and you can have a bigger serving!
Old 12-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
I do agree that it would be nice to have more windows but have no idea how that could be done and still have the storage. It's a necessary compromise dictated by the physical limits of a vehicle that you can still drive down the road.
Our 2003 Alfa See Ya has the biggest windows I've ever seen in a motorhome and an enormous amount of storage. I'm not sure how they did it (7-1/2 foot ceilings probably help), but I'm glad they figured out a way. Unfortunately, they didn't also figure out a way to stay in business.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:18 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Hello Everyone;
We seem to be talking about storage or lack thereoff but no one seems to quantify what they mean be not enough, lots, shallow, deep, etc.

How much is that is cubic feet so we can actually compare numbers rather than our interpretation of a word? Even if the volume is estimated it would help.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:29 PM   #20

This is just another "I want to justify what I own thread".

Everyone has different wants and needs. Be happy with what you have without trying to downgrade what others have. Easy peasy.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:40 AM   #21

Could you give me the brand name of the cook ware? I appoligize to the OP, probably others might be interested as well.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:09 AM   #22

very well said campin cajun- was reading these and thought the same thing- owners of these older coaches seem to want to down knock new probably because they don't own new.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I have an older coach and will be the first to say I would love a big, brand new rv. 45' tag with 4 slides.
No knocking new coaches here.
Besides how can it be said all older coaches have more storage than all new ones?
Seems like models may have changed some but I am just guessing they still make new coaches with bunches of storage.
Going out on a limb here...
Old 12-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #24

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
very well said campin cajun- was reading these and thought the same thing- owners of these older coaches seem to want to down knock new probably because they don't own new.
If you spend the time to search through a number of similar RV forums you will find that there are recurring themes in which people comment on the trend in newer MH's towards small kitchens (very little counterspace) and the diminishing number and size of the windows.

From the several days we spent at the Hershey RV show in September, I can say without hesitation that both of these trends appear to be driven by the "need" for an extra half bath in most larger MH's and the desire to have multiple large screen TVs as well as desk/work areas. This is a matter of fact not opinion. A MH has a certain amount of space; if you use it for one thing then it isn't available for something else.

The storage issue seems to result from these two trends plus the desire to make the interior of the MH look more open and expansive. Our older MH is completely lined with cabinetry almost in every nook and crany. It can make it seem more "closed in". In order to open it up, new MH's mostly have higher ceilings and often omit some of the cabinetry. Again, that's an observation not a judgement.

For what we paid for our older, "luxury" MH as a used one, we could have chosen from among lots of new ones. They simply didn't provide what we wanted. Everyone should choose what suits them.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #25

I always thought storage was a personal issue. When my next door neighbor passed away in his home, they couldn't find him. He was buried under a room full of stuff...they had a hard time just making their way through the house as stuff was piled everywhere.

I think he didn't have enough storage in his sticks and brick home. I don't think he could have found any rv he would have been happy with, new or old.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Funny this topic has come up. We are about to pay off our coach and rather than paint it, I was looking at possibly upgrading. I mentioned to the wife so over the past couple of months we have been looking around. I am all about chassis, engine, accessability, towing capacity, the meat and potatoes with floorplan being secondary. My wife is pretty easy going and as we have had a couple completely different floorplans she has liked both and adjusted to both.

That said, the commented the other night that of all of the coaches we have looked at there wasn't one she would trade ours for. On one hand I was relieved yet on the other dissappointed. She commented about the lack of storage in many of the newer ones as the cabinets/cupboards sizes, the floorplans are useless unless the slides are out and even several that would be nearly impossible to load in our driveway without deploying the slides.

Maybe her mind will change in years to come but for now it looks like we are keeping the ole' girl that we have and enjoying it.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
Besides how can it be said all older coaches have more storage than all new ones?
It can't. That's probably why nobody in this thread has said that.

I just measured a section of cabinets we have in the living room, which runs along the ceiling from above the passenger seat to just before the refrigerator. It's 18 feet long, 2 feet deep, and 1 foot high, and has four lift-up doors on it.

I picked this section because I've read posts about how useless those cabinets are because they're too high, and the person would NEVER buy that motorhome because of them. Which seems kind of silly. But I love them for suitcases and blankets and you can use Rubbermaid containers if you want to put smaller items in there. Ours is completely full, and I have no idea where we'd put that stuff if we didn't have those cabinets.

In the frontmost section of those cabinets, there's another row of cabinets below them, eight feet long, 1 foot deep, and about 10" high. I appreciate the space, but I find them kind of difficult to use efficiently. If the majority of my cabinets were like that, I'd be in a lot of trouble.

The thing is, below this double set of cabinets are two windows that are each over 3 feet wide and 4 feet high. That's what I mean when I say they managed to have good storage and big windows.

That's one thing I find fascinating about RVs--seeing how clever manufacturers (and owners) can be about working with the limited amount of space.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
It can't. That's probably why nobody in this thread has said that.

I just measured a section of cabinets we have in the living room, which runs along the ceiling from above the passenger seat to just before the refrigerator. It's 18 feet long, 2 feet deep, and 1 foot high, and has four lift-up doors on it.

I picked this section because I've read posts about how useless those cabinets are because they're too high, and the person would NEVER buy that motorhome because of them. Which seems kind of silly. But I love them for suitcases and blankets and you can use Rubbermaid containers if you want to put smaller items in there. Ours is completely full, and I have no idea where we'd put that stuff if we didn't have those cabinets.

In the frontmost section of those cabinets, there's another row of cabinets below them, eight feet long, 1 foot deep, and about 10" high. I appreciate the space, but I find them kind of difficult to use efficiently. If the majority of my cabinets were like that, I'd be in a lot of trouble.

The thing is, below this double set of cabinets are two windows that are each over 3 feet wide and 4 feet high. That's what I mean when I say they managed to have good storage and big windows.

That's one thing I find fascinating about RVs--seeing how clever manufacturers (and owners) can be about working with the limited amount of space.
If you read the op's original post he states the new rv's. Not some, not most.
Didn't mean to crank you up like that.
Just seemed to me, sharing my opinion, that was a pretty broad generalization.

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes