Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2015, 02:58 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
We were at Newmar factory a little while back, while looking over a coach, we noticed the overhead cabinets were smaller.
The one thing to consider between a modern coach and old non-slide model is that the headroom inside the slide is less, and therefore the overhead cabinets are smaller. Its a trade of storage volume for floor space, one most people are happy to make.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2015, 03:06 PM   #58

Seems like a very straight forward solution.
See See Why Heavy Duty Trucks Are Best For RV Towing With A 5th Wheel Trailer | The Fun Times Guide to RVing

Here’s why you might want to do your RV towing with a heavy duty truck (HDT), otherwise known as a semi truck or toterhome:

You can get a used semi tractor for around $25,000 with about 500,000 miles on it. That’s only mid-life for commercial heavy duty trucks.
At 25,000 miles a year, it will outlast you.
Rated to handle a gross weight of 80,000 pounds, the heaviest 5th wheel trailer won’t hardly flex the suspension.
Speaking of suspension, it’s air ride. Driving comfort is better than any 1-ton pickup truck.
You have all the conveniences that your pickup truck has: cruise control, front and back air, you may even have a bed and refrigerator — if you get one with a condo sleeper.
You’ll never fear running out of power on long hills again. The standard diesel engine is rated at 500 HP.
With all its extra capacity, you can build storage space, water tanks, or whatever you need behind the cab. How you convert your HD truck is up to you.

Sorry, just don't see storage capacity as an issue. Go large or leave stuff behind. A car can be put behind the cab as well so you don't have to tow it...albeit something in the length of a FIT or smart car.

Something must be wrong with me...I see solutions and others see stuff to be frustrated about.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:10 PM   #59

Jack and Danielle Mayer

Living large!!!

See their heavy duty Volvo 780 with their smart car loaded for travel.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:50 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Wow!

I went to your site, and first, I have seen several similar models and was impressed with the huge windows. But WOW!!! what a great design for your bedroom/office! ... without carving workspace out of your living area!

Thanks for the compliment.

We had to remove the ugly TV enclosure over the bed to do it, but that was no great sacrifice.

And of import to this thread is that having the 7'6" ceiling was key to being able to do it at all. The tall ceiling is also what allows for big windows and extra storage up high.

I honestly don't understand why more manufacturers don't offer that combination. Maybe they think there's no demand for it, but that could be because people just don't realize it's even possible (as evidenced by the number of posts in this thread saying you have to sacrifice one for the other, but you really don't).
Old 01-30-2015, 07:18 PM   #61
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
We have looked at the new coaches for the last few years at the Hershey RV show where we could get a back-to-back look at the offerings from the major players. It definitely seems like some of them cater more towards those who need to live in their coaches for a extended period (lots of storage, more usable kitchen) of time vs those who will spend a week or 2 in it once in a while.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:31 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
The one thing to consider between a modern coach and old non-slide model is that the headroom inside the slide is less, and therefore the overhead cabinets are smaller. Its a trade of storage volume for floor space, one most people are happy to make.

They made the change between our year and the new models. Mostly for aesthetics, they added a valance to the top of the windows.

We would ditch the valance and make the overhead cabinets taller. Newmar has no problem doing this.

There would be no change in the window space, but significant storage difference.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:16 PM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty years View Post
Another engineer heard from. How many cubic feet of storage do you have?
Sorry about suggesting quantifiable data so one could actually compare rather than bandying word about that are more subjective than substance.

I have a feeling if I went and measured all of my storage, which I am not really interested in doing, and gave a number you would throw out a number that is larger just to prove your point.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:26 PM   #64

On the internet, Gordon? Say it ain't so!!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:23 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Sorry about suggesting quantifiable data so one could actually compare rather than bandying word about that are more subjective than substance.

I have a feeling if I went and measured all of my storage, which I am not really interested in doing, and gave a number you would throw out a number that is larger just to prove your point.
You got me wrong, Gordon. I just wanted to see if you would do it
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
You got me wrong, Gordon. I just wanted to see if you would do it
Sorry - just the engineer and skeptic in me.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:54 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Sorry - just the engineer and skeptic in me.
My father was an electronics engineer but was unable to communicate on my level or even interested. So, I make allowances for the engineer mentality. The more formal education, the more narrow the vision (generalization).
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:17 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
My father was an electronics engineer but was unable to communicate on my level or even interested. So, I make allowances for the engineer mentality. The more formal education, the more narrow the vision (generalization).
I can sympathize. It must have been a difficult childhood.

Fortunately I worked for a small international consulting company. We had clients around the world. We developed and implemented leading edge and state of the art solutions for many clients including roadways, rail lines, hospitals, buildings, etc.

Suggesting the use of measurements to determine if old or new motorhomes have more storage space is a practical solution that anyone could come up with.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:30 PM   #69

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
This forum needs a "like" button!
I agree..x2
Old 02-03-2015, 12:08 PM   #70
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
After having been to a recent RV show, I'm disappointed more mfr's don't have the TV's on lifts like many Newmars do. Such a nice, clean look when not in use. They're finally getting away from the TV above the dash that's been a neck-wrenching chiropractic nightmare since the beginning. But most I saw the TV was either stuck to a mid-ship wall where it gets covered up when the slide comes in or was in the corner of a slide with a recliner so close to the big thing, I could practically see the individual pixels making up the picture. I want to be able to watch TV at times when my slides are in & without going cross-eyed sitting so close to an oversized TV.

I did get the chance to view a Tiffin 45LP (I think Phaeton). It was the only coach I saw with deep enough cabinets inside. Of course, that presents its own set of issues for me as I'm short & have to get a step stool to get to the back of the shallow cabinets in our Bounder. But should I strike it rich & am able to afford that coach, I can adjust.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes