Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2018, 10:46 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ladder advice

I recently bought a Pace Arrow with no rear ladder. I had a recent stroke, so am not going on the roof unless I am crawling, but to get up to wash or inspect the roof, I was thinking about this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-12-f...der/1000075183

Too tall? Too short? Kinda heavy and I do not think I can travel with it. But better than an extendable leaning against the roof, to me at least.

1993 Pace Arrow Diesel Allison 6 spd
Cummins 8.3C Oshkosh M chassis
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2017 EZ-Go Golf Cart
miwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2018, 12:39 AM   #2

The platform height is 10' and your RV roof is probably close to 12' so, you'll have to hoist yourself up two feet. It's maybe too short for you.
tucson.don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:32 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This ladder looks like its 12' long collapsed so it won't fit in your storage area. I travel with a 17' - 18' Werner collapsible that is very stable, can be extended to get on the roof if needed - and purchased at Lowe's for a cheaper price. Lowe's also has the same style Little Giant ladders.

http://lowes.com/ladders
Old 09-24-2018, 08:00 AM   #4

IMO to safely access the RV roof the ladder should extend a couple feet higher than the roof.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:15 AM   #5

One of these stores well if it is high enough for your roof.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=553480
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucson.don View Post
The platform height is 10' and your RV roof is probably close to 12' so, you'll have to hoist yourself up two feet. It's maybe too short for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
IMO to safely access the RV roof the ladder should extend a couple feet higher than the roof.

The greatest danger will be getting down from the roof, not boosting yourself up. You need a ladder that is tall enough so, as you leave the roof, your foot easily reaches the first step while you are still centered and stabilized over the roof. All ladders should be held by someone as you climb/descend, especially a step ladder which is set sideways to access the roof.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:24 AM   #7

Exclamation Size matters

Many factors need to be considered here. You will need at least a 14' stepladder to safely get on the roof without serious worry. Then you have to orient a step ladder sideways to the RV and step to the side to get on or off the roof. This is the easiest way to get one wobbling (Fall experience speaking). Step ladders are heavy. Your choice is 55lbs. With your stroke will you be able to handle that bulky thing? Using an extending ladder and making sure it is firmly planted and extends above the roof is the only way I go on or off my RV. And the DW is always watching in case 911 need to be contacted AGAIN!
pecooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:27 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't know how you're doing after your stroke, but should you even be thinking about going up on the roof? I'm 62 years old and portly. It gets more difficult each year to climb safely on the roof.

We just ordered a new coach that doesn't come with a ladder. Everyone is buying those extendable ladders as noted above to access the roof. One of the important things when searching for the ladder, is that it is at least 2' taller than the roof, so you have something to hold onto. I plan on using an extendable ladder and then strap it to the roof before I step off of it onto the roof.

When you get to that type of height with an "A" frame ladder it will want to tip when you step off or onto it at roof level. Might be safer if you found a 14' model and do as I plan, strap it to the roof before stepping on or off. It could be as simple as adding a hook to the roof of the coach to hold a strap.

I think the only type you will be able to take with you, that is tall enough, is the extendable type.

Here's a wild idea....look for a used rolling ladder like they use at big box stores to reach the upper shelves. Obviously, it would only work at home, but you could roll it up to the back of the coach and walk right on. I would buy one, but I don't have the perimeter room around my coach where I store it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:45 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good thoughts, will rethink. I appreciate it. Washing and such I have a extended boat brush, so I think I can do it from the ground. Lots of posters have mentioned they are not waxing with buffers and such, I should be able to use the liquid types.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #10
tcg

I use ladders that tall a lot. They are not that easy to manage and I'm relativity healthy and fit.

If they are not opened correctly and on a level surface they get dangerous really quick.

I own a couple of the telescoping ladders for my business, they are easier to carry, deploy and climb but in your situation I'm not sure I could recommend it as a safe alternative.

You may be better off leaving the roof work to a hired hand.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:06 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm 71, widowed and use one of the extendable ladders to access my roof. Don't like not having someone holding the ladder and able to call 911 but you do what you have to do.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:16 PM   #12

Big tall step ladders arent real stable, they really are intended for hard flat surfaces, like a nice flat concrete driveway,not sure if you have that available. Now the issue of setting it up sideways, if that means the rungs would be perpendicular to the coach, dont forget the taper of the ladder, you’ll be farther away from the coach at the tip.

Why not a good extension ladder with a stabilizer at the tip? As mentioned, the Little Giant ladders are really nice, a little pricey but, dont cheap out on ladders.

Whatever you do, tie it off before you climb it. That way it will be there when youre ready to use it again. ��
Jandcinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:00 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandcinok View Post

Why not a good extension ladder with a stabilizer at the tip? As mentioned, the Little Giant ladders are really nice, a little pricey but, dont cheap out on ladders.

Whatever you do, tie it off before you climb it. That way it will be there when youre ready to use it again. ��

I might have an indoor place available soon, and tying off any ladder at the top is a good idea. Thank you all.

No, I am not planning on getting up there very much, but want to wash it.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:31 PM   #14

This may help:

https://axleaddict.com/rvs/What-You-...adders-for-RVs
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice