Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #1

Ladder Bike Rack

I saw a ladder mount bike rack, RV Furniture Seats Custom Motorhome Accessories Reclining, and wondered if anybody has this? If yes, what do you think? What are the issues with ladder mount bike racks? Thanks.
novi2some is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2014, 08:34 AM   #2

I have this one and it works fine. It's removable without tools. I use a bike/cable lock thru the bikes and rack. HOWEVER, you do need to carefully locate the bikes when you hang them so they don't extend beyond the bumper/body ... takes a few tries ... take a pic with your cell phone cuz you will not remember how you did it .

Also, it helps to have aluminum framed bikes.

Swagman Aluminum/Foam Easy-to-install Two-strap RV Ladder Bike Rack | Overstock™ Shopping - Top Rated Mighty Rack Bicycle Racks
Old 08-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #3

I use Ladder Mount Bike Rack - Intersource D10-223 - Bike Racks - Camping World and it works great. I do put additional zip strips on the rack to ladder positions and on the bikes to rack positions for an additional level of security. This takes all movement out of everything. I even tie the wheels and pedals where they do not turn.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:29 AM   #4

I use this bike rack. Reviews said it was hard to install because the screws were too short. I had no problem by just starting all the screws and then tightening them all up. I do remove the bikes front wheel because it hangs over the RV light and I use a few short bungees to hold everything in place.

You can find it cheaper at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008BW...332190_TE_dp_1

Rich
rkainsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:59 AM   #5

We have a ladder bike rack and it works well enough. However, a couple of years ago we left New Hampshire in January when the temp was 33 degrees and it was raining. The highway crews had salted the roads pretty heavily and all of that salt water coated the bikes. By the time we got to Florida, the bikes had rusted anywhere that wasn't painted including chains and brake cables. If we had realized, we might have washed things down with fresh water at an early stop. Something to think about.
BluBounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #6

I meant to add that a cover over the bikes might have helped, but kind of awkward to put on.
BluBounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #7

I use a receiver mount on my toad vehicle now. I was considering a ladder mount so I could keep the bikes on the motor home once we got to our destination. Now I have to remove the bikes from the rack on the car, then remove the rack from the car. I'm just trying to make it simpler.
novi2some is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #8

Ladder Bike Rack

I've got the ladder bike rack and works well. Used additional bungee cords and a tennis ball on the bike handle to keep the vibration and bumpy roads from allowing the bikes to wear on the paint of the RV. I like the fact that when not in use it folds flat on the MH keeping it out of the way .

Well built and easy to maintain .

Sir Isaac
sirisaac is offline   Reply With Quote