Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2011, 05:45 AM   #1

Laminate Hardwood floors-slideout

Well we broke dwn and got rid of the carpet in our 2000 Damon ultrasport 40' and put in laminate hardwood, it looks great. To get old carpet out from under rollers in slideout and to put in new floor get yourself a small floor jack a 4x4 and a flat scrap of plywood. Extend slideout and go to each roller outside and jack up slideout at each roller about 2" and remove each section of carpet not forgeting the staples they used to install it with. When you go to install new floor make sure you glue it dwn or rollers will slide your floor and cause gaps between sections of flooring. Install sections under each roller then lower and go to next one wait 24hrs before you bring slideout in to allow glue to dry and enjoy your new floor.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Now you are giving my wife the idea to do the same.
Thanks for the info.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #3

Hi kevin what was the thickness of the laminate you installed?
Trunorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #4

FYI - on a lot of slide rooms, extend it fully, put a cut 2x4 (couple inches less then the depth of the room) on the roof of the slide room between the coach side and slide face, run the room in until the top of the room gets close to the ceiling of the coach (inside) and stop, now the room is angled up and you can get under it to do the floor work...

Also... we got away from laminate years ago because of many reasons, one of which is the thickness and dealing with slide room clearances. Now we use Karndean rubber flooring, around 1/8" thick, better warranty, in 4 years installing in RV's very minimal issues. One major plus for installing is how easy this product is to install, as it cuts with a knife versus a saw... My personal coach was the 2nd RV that got this floor when we switched and to date I absolutely love this floor, kids, pets & drunken friends canít hurt this floor. With that going on, I still use this coach to display this floor... it sells itself.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #5

We also used a wood look vinyl flooring from Home Depot. Easy to use, and looks great. With this flooring you don't have to aorry about the slidescratchin or marking the flooring as some have reporting when using laminate flooring.

Jim

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkate View Post
Well we broke dwn and got rid of the carpet in our 2000 Damon ultrasport 40' and put in laminate hardwood, it looks great. To get old carpet out from under rollers in slideout and to put in new floor get yourself a small floor jack a 4x4 and a flat scrap of plywood. Extend slideout and go to each roller outside and jack up slideout at each roller about 2" and remove each section of carpet not forgeting the staples they used to install it with. When you go to install new floor make sure you glue it dwn or rollers will slide your floor and cause gaps between sections of flooring. Install sections under each roller then lower and go to next one wait 24hrs before you bring slideout in to allow glue to dry and enjoy your new floor.
I would love to replace the carpet in my coach. But too scared of what I don't know. I did clean the carpets with my super duper platinum hoover (great carpet cleaner) and with the hand tool around the motor hump, the carpet started coming apart at the seams. Decided to leave it alone. But I would like to replace it. I like carpet even though it gets dirty.

So I would have to take out the chairs and the sofa? Do you have any pictures of when you lifted your slide? I sure would like to see that. It didn't do any damage?

These pics make it look a lot lighter than it is when its all dark inside. The dark carpet I would like to replace with lighter carpet.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5482235.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	17994   Click image for larger version

Name:	5482234.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	17995  

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
lincoln... its best to remove the furniture and cabinents when possible. Looks like you have an interesting transition there... but once you remove the dinette and couch... it will be wide open and easy to do.
Here is a refloor I did on my old nonslide coach. Looking at my slide unit I own now... its actually easier.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
my formerly ugly green carpet (with 1,000,000 staples)
Old 02-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dont have any pics but you can get sound deadening liner/insulator for pretty cheap in addition to the standard laminate foam. Some products have the foam backing.

Kitchen and "wet" areas got sealed with silicone for added water proofing.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks! that was some good info, am going to replace the carpets this summer. I hope to travel next Winter , after putting new floors in the house too.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
lincoln... its best to remove the furniture and cabinents when possible. Looks like you have an interesting transition there... but once you remove the dinette and couch... it will be wide open and easy to do.
Here is a refloor I did on my old nonslide coach. Looking at my slide unit I own now... its actually easier.
very good Todd, thanks! It helps to have a lot of information! Do you have a pic of the setup when you jacked up the slide?

Thanks,
Kent
Old 02-22-2012, 01:25 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Replacing carpeting with tile or laminate flooring seems to be very popular right now with a lot of RV owners. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I don't understand why. We have carpeting in the living area and bedroom, and tile in the entry-way, galley and bathroom, and we wouldn't have it any other way. Why do so many people want to rip out their carpeting?

Just curious.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #13

Well for me that's an easy question to answer, carpet gets dirty, requires carrying a vacuum cleaner and typically required a carpet cleaning about once a year, and as most do had a runner on top of the carpet trying to protect it. Now with the hard surface flooring, we still have runners down, and after having friends, kids and pets cruising in and out all day itís sooo nice to be able to shake out the runners and swifter the floor and the coach feels cleaner instantly.

In my opinion carpet is used in coaches to cover up the uglyís and because itís cheapest to install.

Why would anyone want carpet in the RV?

Guess that's what's so great about RV's - - It's what we make them & how we use them
Old 02-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I myself love carpet, it is an insulator, and a sound deadener, and so much more comfy to walk on than linoleum or tile.

I think most people dump carpet because its impossible to keep clean and despite vacuuming and shampooing, still retains a percentage of dirt and germs.

With four little canine kids, I certainly identify with the ease of non-carpeted cleaning, but I still do like my carpet though. Too bad there isn't a way to pull your carpet up and run it through the washer and drier like you can do your rugs....