Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #1

Laminate Wood Flooring

Has anyone replaced their vinyl flooring and carpet with the Pergo style laminate flooring. We have a 2009 Winnebago Adventurer with three slides. Can't seem to find any RV Dealers or service centers willing to take on this job. We may have to go to a private contractor. My concern is the clearance under the slide rooms to prevent scratching up the floor. Is anyone out there experienced with this issue?
LEHAFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #2

Classic coach works in Lakeland Fl replaced tile and carpet in my coach. Not inexpensive but very professional.
wd4kaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:44 AM   #3

I've been thinking of tackling this job myself on our unit. But I have been wondering about the weight. Doesn't it add weight switching to laminate?

Has anyone figured out how much it changes the weight and if it matters?

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:51 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
I do it. Weight is not an issue
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:38 AM   #5

Another consideration would be to use VillaStone, a resin and marble dust product. It is simi-flexible and looks like ceramic tile. Weight is about the same as the carpet and pad that you would remove. Outdoor carpet mastic is used to put it down and is grouted just like ceramic tile with a resin and sand base grout. If you have ever installed ceramic tile, you will find that you can do your own install. The hardest task is to remove all the staples that were used to install the carpet. Ours is a running bond, and I wouldn't recommend using a diagonal patern due to the amount of waste. Total cost for our living room and bath was a little under $800. The price would double if we had not installed. We installed ours two years ago and have found that it is very easy to keep clean and looks great.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had ours installed, but due to the fact our mainslide runs in on skids the flooring is scratched. If you have rollers on your slide you'll have better luck, just keep the rollers clean. I'd also recommend having the leading edge of the laminate tapered so the skids or rollers will climb over and on top of the laminate. Our installer didn't taper the leading edge and when I brought the slide in the bottom of my slide caught and was damaged (now repaired).
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #7

Does anyone that changed their carpet out have pictures and information on what brand of plank flooring they used?

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stano View Post
Does anyone that changed their carpet out have pictures and information on what brand of plank flooring they used?

Stano
What Pace Arroe do you have?
Old 12-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #9

When I had my coach done they were getting ready to install 6 inch art select vinyl floring in a prevost in an adjacent bay
wd4kaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Laminate flooring is not well suited due to the expansion
and contraction with temperature changes, and it is a
floating floor that requires gaps at all edges.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadnphyl View Post
Laminate flooring is not well suited due to the expansion
and contraction with temperature changes, and it is a
floating floor that requires gaps at all edges.
THATS why I am such a proponent of adhered engineered wood. I cut it against the walls/cabinets. It doesn't move, sound hollow. Its just there- looking good- and no clunky trim on your rounded corner cabinets - how ya gonna make trim to fit around rounded corners- without some caulking- to fill in the gaps. tacky
Sorry- not really. I'm a professional at flooring-41 years-and can still walk
Old 12-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #12

Laminate Flooring

Might pause for a bit and not rush to pick product.
Looked at allure etc. from box stores.Happened to be in flooring store on unrelated matter and found a 3/4 inch wood pre finished product, floating and interlocking system. As stated removing and staples ere the biggest issue. Yes, must address issue for slide and this worked with mine, 1, 34' with 1 slide. DW says we are not selling until she can find same quality floor. Don't think extra weight has had any affect. Can't see it in the milage She always brags on her floor but rarely says what an professional job I did installing. Go figure.
Orchardhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've spoken to several places that do this kind of work and have been told that regardless of type of flooring - once you add the pad or the adhering etc - there is no real weight difference between any of them. So X2 for Ernie.

I was worried about it myself in going from vinyl to something else and one guy said - ever try to carry a roll of vinyl? Of corse I had not but point well taken.

I have read so many DIYs here and elsewhere of slides scratching (read ruining) woods - tiles etc. and rationalizations that throw rugs make it look homey and it's ok - better than it was.

I can't imagine spending all that money on materials and time on R&R and then having that happen. I know some people can do anything - but for me (and I suspect many) if you want it done right - this may be one of those best left to the pros.

As always - your mileage may vary.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd4kaq View Post
When I had my coach done they were getting ready to install 6 inch art select vinyl floring in a prevost in an adjacent bay
Thanks for the info! I want good quality since it can't really be that much square footage for just the living room.

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote