Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2015, 09:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
does the air park brake lock all the wheels???

Nope, just the drive axle.
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2015, 09:50 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There are things that:

Can be done.
Can't be done.
Can be done but shouldn't be done.

I'm just thinking that if something went wrong it would be silly to say it worked all the other times without a problem.

I guess that when folks post things that are questionable just to prove they could do it they are looking for approval. Many folks will slap them on the back as if to say, "Good Job."

Sorry if I have offended but that is how I see it.

Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurb74 View Post
ive been launching by myself with class c's for 45 yrs''
vans, trucks,,

I see people jump out at the ramp and leave the car un attended

constantly...

about 10 yrs ago , I bought a new boat in cal.... went to elsinore. to try it out.... the guy from the guard shack co screeming down... the ramp was slick with algee... hes say someone has to be holding the brakes cause it will slide in the water...

I don't know why it's been bothering me , but could see that happening with a pusher.. all the weight is down hill..no brakes on the front wheels

I would say unloading will be no problem, I never get out of the drivers seat...

pulling the boat out ..if I go back as I always do to help guide the boat on
and the movement pushes the motorhome....yikes

we just went down to parker , launched with no problem,,, the mh wheels stayed in the dry ...

but at havasu... although not as steep.. the ramp is sure to be wet....
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurb74 View Post
yeah, well you just confirmed my fear.... not worried about it unless no one has their foot on the brake...

to add to it they are having an alge bloom in havasu
Old 04-02-2015, 10:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
There are things that:

Can be done.
Can't be done.
Can be done but shouldn't be done.

I'm just thinking that if something went wrong it would be silly to say it worked all the other times without a problem.

I guess that when folks post things that are questionable just to prove they could do it they are looking for approval. Many folks will slap them on the back as if to say, "Good Job."

Sorry if I have offended but that is how I see it.

just so you know the reason for the post is we are trying to figue something new out...
we have always had a home in havasu and kept our boat their... didn't need a place to stay.... well I sold the house,,, wife wants this big MOO cow mooootor home to stay in... so everything is getting more and more difficult...

I did the post to see how other are doing it... I see boat on back of motorhomes all they time...

just a little friendly advise will work ... thankyou
Old 04-02-2015, 10:36 PM   #20

I'm just think'n it to be unsafe to leave the coach unattended

and how would I do it safely
Old 04-02-2015, 10:52 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post

just a little friendly advise will work ... thankyou
Friendly advice... DON'T DO IT! LOL

A few other thoughts.

1. There is a good chance that on a longer class A gasser your rear wheels were further away from the water's edge because of the longer overhang. That works into your favor with the class A giving you a bit more of a chance to stay out of the muck.

2. Some Class Cs might also have a tad longer overhang.

3. All things being equal, the heavier DP is more likely to loose the gravity battle if you loose traction. The extra weight on a slick surface probably won't help you gain traction over a lighter MH in some cases. Once the DP looses it, it will go fast.

4. The lighter gasser with the engine up front with only the park break on has less weight on the rear wheels. That actually might have made the situation worse than you thought but being lighter overall the gravity thing might have been an equalizer.

5. I would suggest you NEVER attempt these things without someone you trust in the driver's seat. At least they can add the braking of the 2 front wheels which should be even more removed from the muck.

Listen. I'm not trying to pull your short hairs and in the interest of full disclosure my job was managing safety and devising risk management procedures for air traffic control. I'm anal about it and its in my DNA. I can't tell you how many times after investigating an incident where a pilot or controller said they did it like that all the time and it worked. The problem was that the practice that lead to that situation may not have been a problem but it had a flaw that was just waiting to be exposed. In some cases the flaw of technique/practices took a while to finally bite them in the butt. So, if you are a kick the tires and light the fire kinda guy, my approach will drive you crazy.

It ain't personal.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:59 PM   #22

Would not do it into Salt Water.... Hate to see the frame on a DP go the way of my work truck

Never driven DP but I suspect it has enough weight over the back axle to do it.... depend on the boat as well... would not want to pull out a 20,000lbs boat on the wrong ramp...
thedjjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Friendly advice... DON'T DO IT! LOL

A few other thoughts.

1. There is a good chance that on a longer class A gasser your rear wheels were further away from the water's edge because of the longer overhang. That works into your favor with the class A giving you a bit more of a chance to stay out of the muck.

2. Some Class Cs might also have a tad longer overhang.

3. All things being equal, the heavier DP is more likely to loose the gravity battle if you loose traction. The extra weight on a slick surface probably won't help you gain traction over a lighter MH in some cases. Once the DP looses it, it will go fast.

4. The lighter gasser with the engine up front with only the park break on has less weight on the rear wheels. That actually might have made the situation worse than you thought but being lighter overall the gravity thing might have been an equalizer.

5. I would suggest you NEVER attempt these things without someone you trust in the driver's seat. At least they can add the braking of the 2 front wheels which should be even more removed from the muck.

Listen. I'm not trying to pull your short hairs and in the interest of full disclosure my job was managing safety and devising risk management procedures for air traffic control. I'm anal about it and its in my DNA. I can't tell you how many times after investigating an incident where a pilot or controller said they did it like that all the time and it worked. The problem was that the practice that lead to that situation may not have been a problem but it had a flaw that was just waiting to be exposed. In some cases the flaw of technique/practices took a while to finally bite them in the butt. So, if you are a kick the tires and light the fire kinda guy, my approach will drive you crazy.

It ain't personal.
thanks for the post,... like I said... we are new to the lauching with the DP
so any advise would be helpful... we are gonna do it... just wanna know the risk and what to avoid....

I see big diesel trucks at the ramp all the time.... do they have front brakes????

am I worring for nothing...the idea is to hear from some one that says it won't slide on the ramp... even if it is wet.. with 16,000 lbs on four locked tires..... what angle would it take for it to slide???
Old 04-02-2015, 11:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjjack View Post
Would not do it into Salt Water.... Hate to see the frame on a DP go the way of my work truck

Never driven DP but I suspect it has enough weight over the back axle to do it.... depend on the boat as well... would not want to pull out a 20,000lbs boat on the wrong ramp...
when we go in the salt it's the carnival to mexico... we even salt the classes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mexico 2 011.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	90411   Click image for larger version

Name:	mexico 2 099.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	350.0 KB
ID:	90412  

Old 04-02-2015, 11:11 PM   #25

a guy on riverdaves place sudgested front wheel chocks???
Old 04-02-2015, 11:58 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lanching a boat with a dp class a

Sure, go ahead, no problem! Just run it like your basic F250. I'd do it for sure if I had a boat. What could go wrong? Keep the videos coming.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:30 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Sure, go ahead, no problem! Just run it like your basic F250. I'd do it for sure if I had a boat. What could go wrong? Keep the videos coming.
Great advice!

I'm waiting patiently for all the other folks that do this to post the angles, their pics, videos, tips and experiences. There must be thousands of them.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:39 AM   #28

I don't care how big those back tires are! The darn thing won't float!

Also, if you have someone else in your RV holding the brake down--make sure they can swim--just saying.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a