RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2019, 07:48 AM   #1

Larger Motorhome

We have a 32 ft.motorhome and are looking to upgrade to a diesel pusher. I have been advised that having a "Tag Wheel" makes for a much more stable ride. The "Tag Wheel" appears to be available Primarily on 45 ft. motorhomes. I have heard that there are a lot of campgrounds that won't take a 45 ft. RV , especially National Parks. What is everyone's experience with the larger motor homes?

Fritzrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2019, 08:00 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Are you looking at used or new DP's?

There are older DP's with tags that are shorter. I know Monaco build several different 40' models.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:01 AM   #3

Larger Motorhome

We have a 2015 Newmar Ventana 4002 40’ DP with a tag. So far no problems with any campgrounds. Tow a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited. Absolutely love both!
JohnnyBuckI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:04 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
State and National parks can be tight to unavailable to you. However, plenty of them have room for coaches that size. All it takes is a phone call to where you want to stay to find out. You might want to share your camping preferences.

Tag axle coaches have their pluses and minus as well. You do lose some storage space so in the shorter lengths, the single axle coaches are better in that regard. You should be able to find tag axles available in 40', 42', 43', and 45' configurations.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:16 AM   #5

I've never driven a coach with a tag axle, but our 40’ is very stable to drive. My suggestion is to test drive one of each configuration and make your own decision regarding what you want.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:24 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
My 40' non-tag rides great, you'd have absolutely no complaints at all. I pull a 4000 toad and don't even notice it back there. My rig has a 10,000 pound hitch limit and a 1,000 pound tongue weight which my toad barely touches, maybe with a bigger trailer, a tag might be helpful. But a tag also complicated matters with more tires, more shocks, more brakes, etc, as well as the loss of compartment space.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:33 AM   #7

Take a look at the inventory at Kenai Coach. They have a 36’ with tag. In general, a coach over 40’ will have a tag. At 40’ some do, some don’t.

The main reason for the tag is to support more weight. A 40’ without one may not have much capacity to hold your stuff. So look at axle ratings a cargo carrying capacity on those models. A tag adds a few more components and a bit of complexity, so overall maintenance and operating costs may be a touch higher. A tag also uses otherwise available storage space.

If going big will cramp your style, consider coaches in the 34-40’ range with multiple slides.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:34 AM   #8

We had two 40' non-tag coaches that I thought rode and handled great. Then I bought our current 43' coach with a tag. Big improvement in ride, stability and handling in cross winds. I will never go back to a non-tag coach. We like the extra interior space and the ability to load anything that will fit, plus hook up to a 12,000# trailer and never worry about overloading the coach or rear axle. I pulled an 8,000# trailer with our loaded 40' Allegro Bus and was over the rear axle rating. Our current coach has a 22,000# rear axle and a 13,000# tag for a 35,000# total rear capacity. We have never been more than 28,000#.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:27 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Tag axles are used to carry extra weight, not to improve ride or handling. That's why you find them mostly on larger (heavier) coaches, typically 41-45 ft but not always. There have been some ultra-heavy models in the 36-40 ft size.

Frankly, though, I think you are vastly overestimating the handling benefit of a tag. Most any DP is going to ride and handle much better than your existing coach - the chassis and suspension will be greatly superior. Buy the size coach that suits your needs and the campgrounds you plan to utilize and don't worry about tag axles.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #10

I have had both tag and no tag, no comparison in handling in high winds with tag axle, plus tag also improves braking with the extra set of brakes.
Outbound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:37 PM   #11

My next rig will have a tag. Recently went for a drive in my buddy's during a wind storm just to see the difference as he has always told me there is no comparison. We had a windy day here, so I called him and off we went for a 60 mile round trip on the freeway, my motorhome is a joke compared to his driving down the road. I have a 36', his is a 45'. Absolutely no comparison between the 2. The winds were 20 with gusts to 35. I live in the desert so we have strong winds many times a year. I drive the Columbia River gorge on I84 many times a year in my RV, and it is windy most trips, with white knuckles on windy trips. The tag made a huge difference..
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:44 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I have had both tag and no tag, no comparison in handling in high winds with tag axle, plus tag also improves braking with the extra set of brakes.
Same here. Plus the tag axle coach is barely affected by big passing trucks. The 40 foot non-tag damn near got blown off the road when a truck passed. The difference is like night and day. I will never again have a DP without a tag.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
We had two 40' non-tag coaches that I thought rode and handled great. Then I bought our current 43' coach with a tag. Big improvement in ride, stability and handling in cross winds. I will never go back to a non-tag coach. We like the extra interior space and the ability to load anything that will fit, plus hook up to a 12,000# trailer and never worry about overloading the coach or rear axle. I pulled an 8,000# trailer with our loaded 40' Allegro Bus and was over the rear axle rating. Our current coach has a 22,000# rear axle and a 13,000# tag for a 35,000# total rear capacity. We have never been more than 28,000#.
Sums it up pretty well
Safety is a big thing and not having to worry about the tires on the rear near as much is a plus also
The only down side to the Tag is no matter what brand it will cost significantly more
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:07 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I’ll always have a Tag. At 43’ I have not encountered a CG that I could not get into.

Tags
motorhome