Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #15

All righty then.. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #16

Lasers use toner and it is melted into the page (this is unchanged from the world of photocopiers, has nothing to do with the fact that it is a laser). Most toners are a wax like substance that melts at relatively low temperatures (as in at a lower temperature than paper burns).

If there is any image left you could try heating it with a hair dryer and rubbing it with the magic eraser. The possibility exists that the wax and plastic are chemically similar and have exchanged pigments, so you would have to remove some of the vinyl.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #17

lemon juice will remove ink and some toner's without harming the vinyl.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #18

Don't use brake cleaner fluid it will trash plastics
Old 06-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #19

I had the same thing in my MH when we bought it I used a magic eraser and the following product it worked great. DW also uses it in the carpet cleaner and to clean about everything else depending on how you dilute it.
Amazon.com: The Amazing Whip-It Miracle Cleaner Earth Friendly Multi-Purpose Concentrate -- 32 fl oz: Health & Personal Care
FTInMyDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #20
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tell DW to put one of her nice pretty towels down as a "cover-up."

Just think, the next stain will not be so bad. It's like the first scratch on a new motorhome.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As funny as it sounds, hairspray removes ink. Spray and wipe. Test first of course.
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Goof off is Xylene based, and will melt vinyl, most paints and plastics. Yet it won't touch magic marker or Sharpie permanent marker ink...

Nail polish remover is Acetone based, and I'm not sure what's in the acetone-free nail polish remover, but since it too will melt paint, you don't want it near any plastics--

Similar to acetone and xylene would be toluene and MEK.

Alcohol DOES remove (to a point) Sharpie ink, so it might work. However, alcohol WILL ALSO remove paint and attack certain plastics if left sitting long enough. Should be safe to use but test first, and be sure to wipe it off quickly followed by a rag dampened with water..

You might try lighter fluid, aka naptha-- It's also used as a carpet stain remover, comes in small metal cans similar to lighter fluid cans (forget the brand?), since many carpets are made of plastics, it should be safe to use. I use it at my business to clean plastic soot left from laser engraving and cutting, and it doesn't affect any of the plastics I use.

Finally, there's mineral spirits. While mineral spirits will soften paint and adhesive, it's fairly mild towards plastics, but TEST FIRST! Test ANYTHING first, as others have noted!
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spray GOOGONE worked on my vinyl dash to remove ballpoint pen. I was amazed. No damage.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #24

Okay, have tried all of the below but still have a shadow of laser ink, although it is barely visible.

Vinyl cleaner
Goo gone
Paint thinner
Fantastic
Magic eraser
Hair spray
Carpet cleaner
Alcohol
The magic eraser had the Most effect.

Lesson learned: never leave a campground receipt or any printed matter on the dash. The hot sun fused the ink to the vinyl.
Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3308457301.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	439.5 KB
ID:	41421
Old 06-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm very sorry that happened but thanks for sharing. I now know not to put laser printed paper on my dash.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
One thing not mentioned is ammonia. After first testing this on an inconspicuous area; try diluted ammonia with a little Bar Keepers Friend. Use a tooth brush to gently scrub it and make sure you don't leave any residue. Worked for me. BTW, ammonia is great for a lot of things. I keep some in the Moho.

DISCLAIMER: Yeah, it does smell awful, and the chlorine in the BKF can combine with the ammonia in a bad way, and that isn't good for you, so if you do this make sure you leave the windows and door open!
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #27

Ink removal

Glad you were able to remove most of the ink. One thing I use for removing ink or crayon from walls is plain toothpaste ( not the gel kind) . Then just wipe area with water to remove the minty smell! Another unusual "cleaning" product for stains on carpet ( blueberries no less!) is a baby wipe or a cleaning wipe. I use this at home frequently.
Mae
Old 06-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #28

ummm you want to try bug and tar remover
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote