Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2018, 09:13 AM   #1

Last Ditch Effort

Smart wheel still dead even after performing diagnostic checks proposed by Spartan.

Now going to a install new controller, clock spring and steering wheel switch pad assembly. If that doesn't work then rewire for individual switches for horns, wipers, washers, etc. I'll just have to do without the cruise control feature.

Wiring all checks OK with MM. Same with fuses. Can't find any burnt or pinched wires either.

Out of ideas...…………………….hours and hours and hours of my time invested and no clue why it won't work. Ground connections all check OK too.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2018, 11:52 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like Smart Steering Wheel is NOT so Smart.
Now I have to ask, where did you check the ground to? Was it the same place the steering wheel is grounded or did you have your meter grounded to some place else? Let's just say that I have seen in my 1980 VW rabbit that the ground where the key was grounded to was not always grounded, but when trouble shooting it because I ground to a different point all looked good.
Do yourself a favor and check the actual grounding point or spider to another one or place of ground or even the battery. When in doubt, run a jumper from the steering wheel directly to the battery or a different ground lug and see if things change.
Did you do an ohm check from the various circuits to ground and see if they are open or shorted directly to ground? Take into account if these circuits are normally hot and then grounded when activated or low then go high when activated. You will only know this if you have the schematics.