Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #1

Late Model Sportscoach owners?

Been lurking here for a while, what a great forum...

We have been through the pros and cons of various Class As (shorter vs longer, gas vs diesel, powertrain variables, etc etc etc...) and are close to settling in on a new Sportscoach Cross Country 385DS (Bunk model) ...I haven't found much commentary on these, and I was hoping to hear from a couple owners of the recent Sportscoach line before I pull the trigger.

Smitty
gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2013, 02:35 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello Smitty and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your experiences and adventures. I am glad to see that you are enjoying our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
Have you tried doing a search of this particular model?
Wow, I just did a quick search and was surprised to see how many of these models are for sale! You might try calling some sellers and let them know you are interested in these but was looking for owner information on their performance after letting them give you their speel about the one they have for sale. Again, good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #3

We have a 2011 Sportscoach 385DS. We bought it new in Sept. of 2010. It now has 27,000 miles on it and has been in 34 states. We love our retirement.

The coach is perfect for us. Our daughter's family has 7 members. We took them to Disney World in 2011 and the sleeping accomodations were perfect. They join us regularly at our campground that is 45 minutes from our home.

The coach has performed very well. It's easy to drive (DW takes her turn at the wheel). The mileage is 8 -9 in the mountains and 9 - 10.5 on the flats. No mechanical problems except a broken weld on the big slide hydraulic rod.

However, have the dealer make the dinette bed and the large front bed before you sign for it. On ours, the "add-a-cushions" were a good inch to inch and a half thicker than the permanent cushions. After finally convincing the manufacturer that it was a design error, we have the cushions redone by a local upholsterer. To this day, the "wizard" at the factory claims that the "Humpty's bump" design is suitable for sleeping.

I would buy another but the factory would fix the cushions before money is exchanged.

I think the number of these units for sale on the internet is caused by the fact that the design is popular for large families. When kids (or grandkids) grow up, the owners look for more conventional accomodations.

You'll like the coach. Especially the price.
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #4

We have a 06 Sports coach a 380 DS and we love it . No problems so far and the ride is the best I have driven . I sell RV'S and I have driven a lot of coaches and the Sports Coach has been the best so far love it . To me it rides as good if not better than the Winnebago Elispc .enjoy it and safe travels and enjoy the form
david2499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottawonder View Post
Been lurking here for a while, what a great forum...

We have been through the pros and cons of various Class As (shorter vs longer, gas vs diesel, powertrain variables, etc etc etc...) and are close to settling in on a new Sportscoach Cross Country 385DS (Bunk model) ...I haven't found much commentary on these, and I was hoping to hear from a couple owners of the recent Sportscoach line before I pull the trigger.

Smitty
Smith, did you pull the trigger? We purchased our 2012 CC 385 ds last October and love it. Can't beat the price and amenities. Drives like a dream even pulling with a dolly. Good luck.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #6

We have a 2007 Crosscountry, over 30k miles with few problems. I drove a 2013 Pathfinder back from a show, approx 80 miles today, coach was tight and quite. I would not hasite to purchase another Sportcoach product.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies...I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but we're close. Of course "close" for us may still mean a couple months out. We were inches from pulling the trigger on a Palazzo six months ago, but decided there was a lot more coach for the buck in the Cross Country. There's a lot of local stuff I could do in an ACE, and the dressed up Encounters look nice, but at the end of the day we want a DP for some longer laps, and we really like the spacious living area in the Cross Country... No access to the bunks with the slide in turned us off initially, but after we thought it over (and that rig had sold) we decided that really wasn't an issue. I gotta get busy and get my Class B license in the works.

Smitty
Old 03-04-2013, 05:48 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
There's a new Coachmen motorhome forum on the Forest River owners site. Right now mostly us Encounter owners chatting and exchanging notes, but perhaps some Cross Country owners (and other Coachmen owners!) will chime in as well as awareness spreads!

The Cross Country is a fantastic bang for the buck. Love them (especially the new paint schemes!).

Coachman Motorhomes - Forest River Forums

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Since the Sportscoach CC 385ds is under 40', most states don't require a commercial DL. Don't know where you live. Anywhere you travel will honor your state's reqts (DL & registration).

One piece of advise no matter what unit you purchase, find some of the purchase checklists and make one for yourself. Try to fill in as much info as possible beforehand and then plan on spending hours for a Pre-purchase walk through. Even after owning an A and C gasser, DP was a new experience and could have been overwhelming. If you purchase a coach with a Freightliner chassis, I highly recommend attending a Camp Freightliner session in Gaffney, SC. It's well worth the time and limited expense, especially if you are mechanically inclined!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #10

You might want to ready my post here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f254/spor...er-152969.html

I have a 2007 Sportscoach Pathfinder. Love it.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpmich View Post
Since the Sportscoach CC 385ds is under 40', most states don't require a commercial DL. Don't know where you live. Anywhere you travel will honor your state's reqts (DL & registration).
In Texas you need at least a Class B (or A) for a vehicle with GVWR over 26,000# and I'll also need an air brake endorsement. I can get a Class B non-commercial.

Smitty
Old 03-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottawonder View Post
In Texas you need at least a Class B (or A) for a vehicle with GVWR over 26,000# and I'll also need an air brake endorsement. I can get a Class B non-commercial.

Smitty
As I said, I didn't know what state you were in. Some participants in the forums don't take the time to investigate their particular situation. It appears you aren't in this group. Just trying to help.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #13

If you're wondering about state requirements, you can look them all up here, although we are going off-topic

RV Driver's License Requirements
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #14

mvpmich: no offense taken and I appreciate the helpful words.
topdownman: Yeah i can't even keep my own thread on topic

Very encouraged so far with the Sportscoach reports.