Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are plenty of gently used RVs and I like the 5 year old range. If you are getting a higher end RV, they will have plenty of life left and at a considerably lower cost than new. If you want a warranty, buy an extended warranty policy to put your mind at ease.

You have to shop carefully with used as there are some units out there that have not been cared for properly and some dealers that will put a coat of polish on a tired RV and make it look pretty.

If you are looking at a motorhome, be sure and get the service records to see if it was maintained. If you are not experienced enough, have a professional check the RV and the chassis...not the selling dealer, but someone you hire.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
The only reason is said -1-2 years old, is I feel the best buys are over 7 years old. I bought a one owner unit 11 years old. It had all the manuals, service records, etc.
As far as I am concerned, used is the best way.

To me, 1-2 year old MH or RV is a warning sign of a defective unit. I would rather buy a new one or go with a 10 year old one.
I refuse to buy new vehicles. Not only because of the big depreciation factor. The vehicles that I have had the most trouble with have been brand new ones. The vehicles that I have had the least trouble with were the 1 to 2 year old high mileage vehicles. They were the best price, and provided the best service for me.

I don't know if a 1-2 year old MH is a guarantee that it's a sign of a defective unit. It could be a sign that the original owner got fed up being a guinea pig for the manufacturer. Although he may have had most of the manufacturer's problems fixed, in frustration he gave up on it, couldn't take it any more.

I agree with the philosophy that the best buys are over 7 years old. It's interesting to see a beautiful 7-12 year old MH selling for a fraction of the price when new. Usually it doesn't have very many miles on it. All the kinks have been worked out of it, and what's left now is some maintenance work to do on it as a result of use and age.

Which usually means new tires for sure. Possibly new belts and hoses. Maybe do some light renovating, and replace the carpet. And, oh yes, climb around outside and redo all the caulking.

Now, at a fraction of the cost of that MH when new, you're going down the road with a beautiful MH in like new condition.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
We bought ours 3 years old. She was still plenty expensive, but half what she was new. 15k miles, and lazydays did all the scheduled maintenance before we picked her up.

(Knock on wood) she's been fabulous, i've had to search for things to tinker on!
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #18

Our first RV was a 1979 TT. We had some good camping trips and found we realy enjoyed it. our 2nd was a 1991 26R Flair MH we bought in 2010. In January of this year we bought a 2003 safari Sahara DP with 15000 miles. it was a one owner that were in their 80's they traded for a cl ass C. We have had no problems "knock knock". The price was in our budget and it was stored inside. All the chaulking and awnings are good and it has lots of extras. I have built a garage for it and we plan on keeping it as long as our health holds up. By used if you don't mind working on the little things. We also bought a 3 year warranty for piece of mind.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:22 AM   #19
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
too old is bad also

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Buy used to save taking that big depreciation hit. A MH is a high dollar depreciating asset anyway, buying new just makes that problem even worse. Why limit to just a couple years old?
Yes but on the other hand why buy one so old that it will start to be problematic due to its age and things just wearing out ?
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #20

We bought a new Jayco fiver in 1994, and really liked to camp and travel in it. Always liked the idea of a motor home, so up graded 19 years to a 2013 Newmar 33 foot gas MH. Sold the Jayco to a privite party. We went with a gasser just to see if we liked the MH concept as they are much less expensive. Like it a lot better then the fiver manely due to the auto jacks and the generator. A lot easier to set up camp. So in a year or less, maybe next spring we may upgrade to a DP. It must have a tag axle. Bath and a half with washer and dryer. Also all hardwood and tile floors, we hate carpet. We will order and have it built to our spects. Most likely it will be a Newmar as we our very pleased with ours. The Jayco never went back to the dealer the whole time we had it. I replaced the thermostat in the oven and the hot water tank in her and just a few other minor things. Fixed a few very minor things on the Newmar. One being a small leak on a heater hose. I never buy extended warrantys as they are nothing but a rip off. I own a fleet of diesel oilfield trucks and I almost always buy new. Buying new you always no what you are buying and where she has been. Never buy extended warrantys on the semis or pickups either. Usually run them 8 to 10 years and never have any problems. We are very anel about maintenance, weather it be a MH or a semi truck.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #21

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We once looked at a unit that had been used for a single trip from Virginia to Florida and as they had the money to spend decided they needed a bigger unit.

Sometimes people die.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #22

We looked for 2 years, new & used, the features and size we wanted we very expensive in a new 40+ DP. Finally found a 2005 Beaver Patroit Thunder with 35K miles on it in Calif while on vacation. Fell in love bought it and went back 30 days later to drive her cross country and home to Maryland. 20k miles later...So far so good we love the Beav
Cfyanes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
As a cost reference, our 4 year old Cameo was about 40% of what it cost new. It had been used very little as it still smelled new inside and the undercarriage was hardly dirty. So shop and look, the right unit will show up.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bought our first MH DP, that was 8 years old spent a lot to bring it up to our standards! Kept the 03 for one year nothing ever majorily wrong. Needed more room traveling with our two canines. Bought new, never had new, always bought frugally my entire life, "used". Wanted a new bus, wanted new guizmos', needed more room, needed half bath, wanted great floor plan bought new and DW and are happy! You only go around once why leave it for the kids they got their's. We deserved pus after fourty years of hard work!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #25

^^^ +1, If you can afford it.... buy new.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In 2001 I purchased a 1999 American Eagle with 28,000 miles and I had Cummins do a mechanical inspection including a dyno. I purchased it for about 25% of the original MSRP.

In 2012 I purchased a 2009 American Eagle with 17,000 miles for about 38% of original MSRP and so far on both I haven't had anything major. I have spent about $1,500 on a few items on the coach that I felt needed to be done, but nothing mechanical or severe. part of this money was for 2 new starting batteries that died about 5 months after I purchased it.

Not only did I not pay sales tax (if you would be subjected to it) on the savings but the depreciation factor is a consideration. I also wouldn't want to spend my time going to the factory for warranty issues, but, you really need to do what is best for you not only financially but for your personal tastes.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've owned 4 previous used MHs over the past 25 years. Always got a good deal, but the selection was limited. Tinkered with the rusted bolts and worn parts on the used units but had to figure out what was factory or DIY - mostly due to a lack of manuals or records. When sold, the units were as good if not better than when purchased. When I retired I purchased new, probably my last MH for less worries plus the floor plan that suits us. We got what we wanted, not what was available. I've got all of the factory manuals and most of the sub-vendor manuals that I continously add to. I know what is original and what is DIY. I know what has been done, and what needs to be done. I have better peace of mind when travelling. That in itself was worth the depreciation. To each his own. JM2¢..
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #28
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
We're looking to buy our first MH, and my wife and I are on separate pages. I want to buy new, even with the depreciation hit, I would rather know everything about the coach instead of taking on a used headache. We've been shopping for about two months now, and it is apparent that larger coaches are more readily available on the used market, and we are looking for something in the 32' range. My wife on the other hand wants to buy "new/used".

I believe all of us would like to find that perfect new/used deal, the one where the owner bought it and is just upside down enough to have to get rid of the thing. The problem is, that those deals are far and few between.
agree who knows what bs a PO did to their unit ?
szy is offline   Reply With Quote