Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
I also wouldn't want to spend my time going to the factory for warranty issues, but, you really need to do what is best for you not only financially but for your personal tastes.
Dang it!!! I've meet some real characters (some really GREAT people)at the Monaco factory getting work done, and I'm not sure that I would want to trade that experience for anything... I also used the down time to explore the area and to make some good "contact people" with company personel...So over all, going to the factory for warranty work was an interesting adventure!

Oh by the way, I've only had 2 RVs and both were bought brand new...At least that way I knew how the coach was used, and how the maintenance was handled.

cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
We're looking to buy our first MH, and my wife and I are on separate pages. I want to buy new, even with the depreciation hit, I would rather know everything about the coach instead of taking on a used headache. We've been shopping for about two months now, and it is apparent that larger coaches are more readily available on the used market, and we are looking for something in the 32' range. My wife on the other hand wants to buy "new/used".

I believe all of us would like to find that perfect new/used deal, the one where the owner bought it and is just upside down enough to have to get rid of the thing. The problem is, that those deals are far and few between.
I've been watching this thread an noticing the number of those that recommend buying used over new for a lot of reasons. The overwhelming majority recommend buying used. The bottom line is that those that would go against this sound advice are not interested in looking at used for their own personal reasons. Could be they have more money than God, could be they feel they deserve something new, etc, etc.

My point is that the evidence is there for those that are not sure what to buy. Most already know what they want to before they ask.

Dave

Old 10-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by denochs View Post
I've been watching this thread an noticing the number of those that recommend buying used over new for a lot of reasons. The overwhelming majority recommend buying used. The bottom line is that those that would go against this sound advice are not interested in looking at used for their own personal reasons. Could be they have more money than God, could be they feel they deserve something new, etc, etc.

My point is that the evidence is there for those that are not sure what to buy. Most already know what they want to before they ask.

Dave
I bought new and certainly don't have as much money as God.

Some time ago, I came to the conclusion that the absolute best reason to buy a DP instead of a gasser is because you WANT one, not because one is "better" than the other in a particular situation.

I think the same applies to new vs used. Not all decisions are made with a pencil and paper. That's what makes it fun.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I started this thread, I was trying to zero in on the wisdom of buying a 1-2 year old RV. I did not wish to cause a debate about new vs used. My personal belief about a 1-2 year old unit is that most of the time the reason they are available, is a reason that may make them undesirable units.

I really haven't seen many reasons to buy the 1-2 year old units, but I have seen lots of reasons to buy new and used, and how people justify it. The I am a member on this site, the more I am wanting to find a 10-15 year old very high-end vehicle like a Foretravel,(sp).

I guess it just come down to what you can justify to yourself for the money you spend on the purchase. There sure are some beautiful new and old rigs pictured on this site.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #33

I keep struggling with the used versus new MH scenario. There is nothing like spanking new equipment, IMHO, but on the other hand there is nothing like the feeling of striking that perfect bargain for the "gently used" coach.

We are going to the Pomona, CA RV show next weekend (10/12/2012) just to visit the various manufacturers and variety of coaches. We are committed to the 32' range as we like the smaller National Park campgrounds and such over RV and private parks.

My choices for a coach include in the Fleetwood Southwind 32 VS, and the Allegro 32 CA Open Road. The problem with the these coaches as I see them today is that the technology has changed significantly in the last 2-3 years in these coaches. Buying new gives me the opportunity to have the latest and greatest technology available (for this day) at the time of purchase.

My biggest question is whether to buy from a local dealer at more money (3k-7k) or drive 275 miles for the better deal.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard
I keep struggling with the used versus new MH scenario. There is nothing like spanking new equipment, IMHO, but on the other hand there is nothing like the feeling of striking that perfect bargain for the "gently used" coach.

We are going to the Pomona, CA RV show next weekend (10/12/2012) just to visit the various manufacturers and variety of coaches. We are committed to the 32' range as we like the smaller National Park campgrounds and such over RV and private parks.

My choices for a coach include in the Fleetwood Southwind 32 VS, and the Allegro 32 CA Open Road. The problem with the these coaches as I see them today is that the technology has changed significantly in the last 2-3 years in these coaches. Buying new gives me the opportunity to have the latest and greatest technology available (for this day) at the time of purchase.

My biggest question is whether to buy from a local dealer at more money (3k-7k) or drive 275 miles for the better deal.
If you get a price from a dealer 275 miles away, and show it to the local dealer, maybe they will come close to matching it. Buying local, has it's advantages, especially if you have a laundry list of after sale adjustments. From what I have seen on here, buying a new unit comes with that list most of the time. If the dealer is 275 miles away, it is about 200 in fuel to go get the fixes on all the stuff that the selling dealer should have caught.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #35

Country Coach Owners Club
Before you buy do your research. The best source I found was rv.org. Pay what ever they're asking then read all the material. This has been the best source I've found when looking for information on RVs. After you get done doing all the reading and have decided on a couple of makes and models go to oodle.com and do your search there. They search all over the internet and then if you check the right boxes they will email you updates everyday. Everyone has different needs, wants on money available to buy a rig. Find what's best for you. Good Luck
Old 10-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
We're looking to buy our first MH, and my wife and I are on separate pages. I want to buy new, even with the depreciation hit, I would rather know everything about the coach instead of taking on a used headache. We've been shopping for about two months now, and it is apparent that larger coaches are more readily available on the used market, and we are looking for something in the 32' range. My wife on the other hand wants to buy "new/used".

I believe all of us would like to find that perfect new/used deal, the one where the owner bought it and is just upside down enough to have to get rid of the thing. The problem is, that those deals are far and few between.
problem with buying a newer used coach is... the sticker shock is still fresh.
Ive seen distress sales where the husband passes and the wife is stuck with a 40' she knows nothing about... let alone getting detailed info or even the lien holders info.

Plus a typical private party sale could take upwards of 5+ hrs to close...which again many arent ready for.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
When I started this thread, I was trying to zero in on the wisdom of buying a 1-2 year old RV. I did not wish to cause a debate about new vs used. My personal belief about a 1-2 year old unit is that most of the time the reason they are available, is a reason that may make them undesirable units.

I really haven't seen many reasons to buy the 1-2 year old units, but I have seen lots of reasons to buy new and used, and how people justify it. The I am a member on this site, the more I am wanting to find a 10-15 year old very high-end vehicle like a Foretravel,(sp).

I guess it just come down to what you can justify to yourself for the money you spend on the purchase. There sure are some beautiful new and old rigs pictured on this site.
There are many reasons why a relatively new unit would be on the market. I don't think the assumption that something must be wrong with them is going to be valid in the majority of the cases. If the unit checks out and the price is right I would think a lightly used unit would be a very desirable option.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #38

Last 2 coaches I bought used and had good luck with them. Now we are looking for a different coach and what I'm finding is that the dealers are discounting enough so that they are selling new at about what people are looking to get out of there 1-2 yrs old coaches. I'm going to go with a new one, realizing, I'll have to work out the bugs with the dealer that would probably have been taken care of in a used coach. But, at least I 'll know how it has been treated from the beginning
Old 10-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
Or perhaps another reason is that the manufacturer(s) you want have such a low availability (read are in such high demand) that finding one used is very hard

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote