Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Latest Trip Report

Just returned home from a 16 day trip, here is the break down.

2853 total miles
394.7 gal of fuel
7.22 MPG, hand figured and GPS miles
Cruise set at 64/65
Towing 08 Honda CRV
15 hours of generator usage with both a/c units running
Hydrohot always on in diesel mode for heat and water
Drove from eastern NC across I-40 to OK, then north to northern MO, then back down to STL and across I-64 back to Norfolk, then south into NC. Quite a few mountains on both interstates.

Casualties:
Broken pivot bolt on drivers windshield wiper (the bolt that goes through the body and connects the wiper arm to the wiper motor) Drove the last 100 miles of the first leg in hard rain with no drivers wiper. ordered new parts from Newmar which were overnighted and I rebuilt the wiper system

Blown fuse for window shades. Not an issue other than finding the fuse.

Spun the passengers seat around and I assume pulled the wires apart. Didn't find out until we got ready to leave, but none of the seat electronics work.

HWH leveling system would not work when we got home; although it worked the whole time we were gone. Have to trouble shoot.

Fantastic fan stopped working. After talking to FF tech they believed it to be the wall mounted remote. That was waiting on the dorrstep when we got home today. So have to install it and see if it fixed the issue.

Broke window latch on window above dinning table (will have to order a new one)

That's about it, ran Ac units one day in the 80's, and heat the next in the snow.....and never moved locations...LOL

All and all a good trip, and pretty pleased about the milage.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like you were in a hurry to get to your destinations. Don't agree on risking lives of others on the road by driving in the rain without operational drivers wiper. No accidents and You got home safe. That is all that matters.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:11 AM   #3
UAV

Agrred.
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #4

Wow! a couple of hours in hard rain without wipers, you are some kind of risk taker. Ever think of the other people on the road?
gacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Agreed on wiper. I am not a big fan of driving in the rain but cant be avoided sometimes. I would not do it without a wiper.

Quite a list for 16 days hopefully all sorted for a while.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Amazing weather. glad you had a good trip and a safe one. Next one out will be a better one.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Good update Master Chief, obviously you were careful and successful driving in the rain. Looks like a minimum of problems on a nice trip.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
Sounds like you were in a hurry to get to your destinations. Don't agree on risking lives of others on the road by driving in the rain without operational drivers wiper. No accidents and You got home safe. That is all that matters.
A little judgemental aren't you?

Ever heard of RainX? I use it and had a wiper problem come up while driving in the rain. The rain water beaded up and slid right off. I could see just as well without the wiper as with it. The stuff works.

Possible he had the same experience, huh?

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchips View Post
Just returned home from a 16 day trip, here is the break down.

2853 total miles
394.7 gal of fuel
7.22 MPG, hand figured and GPS miles
Cruise set at 64/65
Towing 08 Honda CRV
15 hours of generator usage with both a/c units running
Hydrohot always on in diesel mode for heat and water
Drove from eastern NC across I-40 to OK, then north to northern MO, then back down to STL and across I-64 back to Norfolk, then south into NC. Quite a few mountains on both interstates.

Casualties:
Broken pivot bolt on drivers windshield wiper (the bolt that goes through the body and connects the wiper arm to the wiper motor) Drove the last 100 miles of the first leg in hard rain with no drivers wiper. ordered new parts from Newmar which were overnighted and I rebuilt the wiper system

Blown fuse for window shades. Not an issue other than finding the fuse.

Spun the passengers seat around and I assume pulled the wires apart. Didn't find out until we got ready to leave, but none of the seat electronics work.

HWH leveling system would not work when we got home; although it worked the whole time we were gone. Have to trouble shoot.

Fantastic fan stopped working. After talking to FF tech they believed it to be the wall mounted remote. That was waiting on the dorrstep when we got home today. So have to install it and see if it fixed the issue.

Broke window latch on window above dinning table (will have to order a new one)

That's about it, ran Ac units one day in the 80's, and heat the next in the snow.....and never moved locations...LOL

All and all a good trip, and pretty pleased about the milage.
Very good. You don't mention the kind of RV you have. But your MPG is almost the same as ours. I have an '02 Suncruiser and over 90,000 miles I have averaged 7.25 MPG. I set our cruise to 62.

Enjoy!

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #10

My RV is in my signature. 2005 Mountain Aire 4304, ISL400.

As for dangerous, I use rainx religously, I didn't put myself or anyone else in danger. believe it or not, I actually do think of adverse issues, do risk assesments and don't put myself or others at risk. I guess that is the 25 years of military and still counting.

I guess I could have just pulled of on the side of the highway and waited for the rain to stop, but that was two days later. A long time sitting on the side of I-40. It was not dark, I could see just fine because of the rainx and it didn't rain hard the entire 100 miles, that was off and on.

As for being in a hurry, yea we were to some degree, my mom has terminal cancer and my dad has Alzhiemers and Parkinson's. But thanks to those that really believe I would endanger someone on the highway to include myself, my wife and our youngest daughter, we wouldn't be much help to my parents if we died on the trip over would we?. I love this site, but there sure are some that are quick to judge.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the trip report Chief. I find these type of posts to be very helpful in preparing for trips. It gives me a few more things to put on my checklist just for a quick look for possible problems. Your weather days, 80 one day and snow the next, must have happened in Northern Missouri, we have been unable to shake old man winter off and get on with spring. Glad your trip was safe.
1999 Winnebago Adventurer, Sam, Judy, Grand Daughter - Kenzie, 3 spoiled Pomeranians, Bella, Tinker and Aurora - 1 spoiled JR terrier, Mayzee - 1996 Ford Explorer, Sport 2 Door, 4 wheel drive, pulls 4 down like a dream.
Sam Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #12

SamGreen, yes that was in MO. We were in Macon, MO.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Thanks for the honest trip report Master Chief and I know that being a former CMC, you know how to look past the trivial stuff!
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #14

CoastieSCPO, I am currently a CMC....and certainly know how to look past the trivial stuff...LOL

Are you acitve or retired?