Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #1

Lazy-boy swivel recliner messed up

In our class A, we have a Lazy-boy style swivel recliner that just started acting up. We hardly use it, but the last couple days, we've been entertaining, so it has probably been used now more than ever.

When you sit on it, you can hear/feel the springs creaking overly loud. It doesn't recline smoothly, and when you try to put the foot rest back in, it won't lock....you have to get up out of the chair, and push the footrest in....only then does it "click" and lock into place. Anyone else ever have problems with these flimsy recliners??

I got underneath, and the springs and mechanisms look to be fine...nothing appears bent, but there's a lot of hinges/cables and springs, so it's hard to say

thanks for any help.

Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #2

Just to be clear... And I know you said "type",
All recliners are not La-Z-Boy, as all copiers are not Zerox, jeans Levi's, and so on...
However, your recliner appears to have a handle on the side that you can use to close the recliner as you get up. There are two kinds of springs under the chair, first are the springs beneath the seat that hold the foam, these are long and squiggly and attached on the ends. The other springs are part of the mechanism that assist in opening and closing the chair (think garage door). They are coil springs that are much smaller but very strong. You might try some WD-40 or graphite on any of either of the springs that you can get to. This might quiet the chair.
Also while the chair is upside down, check to see that the mechanism is still securely fastened to the sides and frame of the chair. It is after all metal screwed to wood and is possible that it has wallowed thereby causing the misalignment of the mech.
My two cents... Hope this helps
Jeff

La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #3

Exactly, I'm not sure who actually makes it, it's an Original Equipment recliner. I just called it a "Lazy-boy" much like many refer to tissue paper as Kleenex, or snowmobiles as Ski-doos....it's a bad habit.

I'll try what you mentioned, greasing things up. The noise I hear I think are the "squiggly" seat springs. I've rebuilt old car seats, but they don't recline, so this is a little different.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You picture looks similar to a Laz-y-boy we have here in the stick house. What Jeff said - check and "lightly" oil places that rub together or have springs. Sometimes there are nuts, screws, bolts, that can become loose with use.

My chair is going back to the warehouse to have the foot board bottom replaced. If you tip the chair back on its back you can look at the mechanism holding the foot pad. The mechanism is screwed into the foot board through the bottom fabric lining. That board is made out of "pressed board" and can wallow out very easy. This will keep the foot rest from retracting correctly, Just a little upward pressure with your toe will release the foot rest from binding and it may retract, but a close inspection of the screws into the foot rest is in order. The warehouse is replacing my foot rest bottom board with a solid piece of wood.

Just passing some thoughts along. IMHO
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:16 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
Exactly, I'm not sure who actually makes it, it's an Original Equipment recliner. I just called it a "Lazy-boy" much like many refer to tissue paper as Kleenex, or snowmobiles as Ski-doos....it's a bad habit.

I'll try what you mentioned, greasing things up. The noise I hear I think are the "squiggly" seat springs. I've rebuilt old car seats, but they don't recline, so this is a little different.
Doesn't look like a La-Z-Boy to me, but they have thousands of designs/coverings too, or it could be a special run.
We just ordered three true La-Z-Boy rocker recliners a week or so ago and are waiting for them to arrive now. Going to remove the couch and replace it with two of them and then the existing recliner/rocker with the third.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Mr D, which models did you choose and how wide is your entry door? We use a Harbor Town swivel rocker and it just fits thru the door.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
We've had Lazy Boy furniture for years in our S/B house, they have been very good the few times we had problems, they sent a service guy out to take care of of our issues. If it really is a Lazy Boy maybe there is a store close by that could help out if you can't DIY it.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie
Mr D, which models did you choose and how wide is your entry door? We use a Harbor Town swivel rocker and it just fits thru the door.

fred
La-Z-Boy "brand" recliners come out of the box in 2 pieces. They will fit thru any size door, and can easily be disassembled and reassembled any time...
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I believe they have a lifetime warranty on the "mechanisms."

As Jeff stated, the back pops off and it becomes tow manageable pieces.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #10

^ Lifetime warranty you say?? I'll have to look into that. I don't see a manufacturer, but it might be a Flexsteel. I have yet to tear it apart to look at it....no time, and we haven't really camped much. We just don't sit on it now
Old 06-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #11

1. Look underneath it for the tag telling the brand.
2. Call a store that sells that brand in your city, and as who repairs their chairs for them. They will more than likely have an individual or company that does their repairs. That person (or company) will know about any warranty.

If you are at all handy, you might be able to fix it yourself, otherwise, go to the above.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post

fred
Just got them in last week, would have to look at the order to see which ones we ordered. Two of the same model and one of another. They went in very easy since the back comes completely off. In fact I put all three in by myself. Got them in yesterday after removing the hide a bed and original chair. Did take out the passenger seat though to make it easier as well as removing the door stop and using a bungie to hold the door out of the way
Old 06-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
We've had Lazy Boy furniture for years in our S/B house, they have been very good the few times we had problems, they sent a service guy out to take care of of our issues. If it really is a Lazy Boy maybe there is a store close by that could help out if you can't DIY it.
Same here, except we've never had any problems with any of ours, think we have five now, two in the stick house and three in the MH.