Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2016, 12:20 PM   #1

LCI Leveler issue - Set Park Brake error

I'm having an issue with my LCI MH levelers (2013+ version). It keeps giving me the error that I need to 'Set (my) park break (press enter to acknowledge)'. The parking brake is set and the dash light confirms it. There is only one button/switch on the parking break that I can see, and it seems to be working properly (as evidenced by the parking brake light going on and off when it is pressed).

I have the MH running and the parking brake set, but still get this error when trying to level. I have checked the wires to the 'brain' under the MH and don't see anything loose. I contacted Thor but they have not been much help.

Anybody have any ideas or run into this before?

MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2016, 01:24 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd check the wires on the parking brake actuator. The brake actuator could have separate wires for the chassis warning light and the levelers...or the electronic tap into the brake engaged switch for the levelers is broken.

I would first, look for a physical break in the wires, then check the current flow with a continuity light/meter.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:06 AM   #3

The book on my 2015 MH shows the LCI control box has a 6 pin connector and pin 1, nearest the outside corner is listed as park brake. If you disconnect the cable and measure voltage on pin ! of the cable, it should change with parking brake on/off. That would verify parking brake wiring or control box problem.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyLee View Post
The book on my 2015 MH shows the LCI control box has a 6 pin connector and pin 1, nearest the outside corner is listed as park brake. If you disconnect the cable and measure voltage on pin ! of the cable, it should change with parking brake on/off. That would verify parking brake wiring or control box problem.
Hi Randy-

On my rig, that 6-pin connector has two wires going to it - red and white. According to Thor, the white is the ground from the parking brake. It seems that the red is power, as when I unplug the connector completely the unit has no power. Unfortunately I don't have a multi-tool with me. Guess I'll need to borrow one or buy a cheap one! Stupid question - should I remove the white pin and put the multi-tool contacts between the two to measure the voltage? Usually I measure through a switch or something... I'm not used to in-line stuff.

Tim
Old 07-18-2016, 07:54 AM   #5

Since Thor said the parking brake provides a ground when on instead of 12 volt power, You can slide a small wire along side of the white pin in the plug or tap into the wire temporally and ground the other end. That should simulate the parking brake being on. You really should have a AC/DC volt meter with an ohm meter to trouble shoot any electrical problem. Makes life much easier.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyLee View Post
Since Thor said the parking brake provides a ground when on instead of 12 volt power, You can slide a small wire along side of the white pin in the plug or tap into the wire temporally and ground the other end. That should simulate the parking brake being on. You really should have a AC/DC volt meter with an ohm meter to trouble shoot any electrical problem. Makes life much easier.
Thanks, I may try to bypass the circuit. I have two voltmeters. Unfortunately they are both at my house and I am on the road! Luckily they are cheap - I will soon have three.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:53 PM   #7

Lippert Control unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
I'm having an issue with my LCI MH levelers (2013+ version). It keeps giving me the error that I need to 'Set (my) park break (press enter to acknowledge)'. The parking brake is set and the dash light confirms it. There is only one button/switch on the parking break that I can see, and it seems to be working properly (as evidenced by the parking brake light going on and off when it is pressed).

I have the MH running and the parking brake set, but still get this error when trying to level. I have checked the wires to the 'brain' under the MH and don't see anything loose. I contacted Thor but they have not been much help.

Anybody have any ideas or run into this before?
We just had the same issue with our 2016 Thir Miramar. Talked with Lippert tech support and troubleshot to verify park brake (ground) signal was getting to the control unit.

Using a multi-meter the six-pin plug on the control unit should show ground (ohm continuity) on the white pin when parking brake is set; open when the brake is released. The red wire is 12v with ignition on.

If you are getting ground on the white wire, the control unit is faulty and needs replacing. Thor is replacing ours under warranty.

Hope this helps
Old 07-22-2016, 06:46 PM   #8

Thanks, that's great info! I haven't had the chance to purchase a multi-meter yet but hope to this weekend. Then I can run this check and see if this is the same issue. Unfortunately I think my controller is out of warranty but I will verify that too!
Old 07-25-2016, 08:11 AM   #9

Update (kinda): After Lippert determined their control unit was faulty I called Thor customer support. They'd send a replacement to my dealer right away. I asked if they could send it directly to me, as I'm not close to any dealer. It arrives today (four days!). Very impressed with both Thor and Lippert customer support.

Now hope the new unit resolves the parking brake issue.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:04 PM   #10

It worked!
I swapped the new unit (took all of three minutes) and no more parking brake issue.

Again, very good customer support from both Lippert and from Thor.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:03 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel556180 View Post
It worked!
I swapped the new unit (took all of three minutes) and no more parking brake issue.

Again, very good customer support from both Lippert and from Thor.
That is great to hear!

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:00 PM   #12

That's good to hear! I purchased a multimeter and am ready to test the ground wire from the parking brake. I just haven't had a the chance to do it yet. I also spoke with LCI and they said the same thing - if the ground works from the parking brake, the issue is with the controller.

Tags
brake