Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2015, 11:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Hartford AARP

X2 on AARP Hartford. Cheaper than Progressive and National General (Good Sam) . . . . ask me how I know!

1 claim for windshields, Quick, Professional, Just AWESOME Service!

Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 11:06 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
X2 on AARP Hartford. Cheaper than Progressive and National General (Good Sam) . . . . ask me how I know!

1 claim for windshields, Quick, Professional, Just AWESOME Service!
I ended up moving all of my insurance to Hartford AARP, saving me $1200 per year. I was with AAA for 45 years, they never bothered to contact me to see why I left them.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:26 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you qualify for AARP the insurance offered through The Hartford is great for both auto and motorhomes. We were with USAA for years and their service/value was great. AARP The Hartford was almost 1/3 less for our auto & motorhome. Their service has been as good as USAA based on a glass claim we had done.

IMO the best.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:10 AM   #18
epj

USAA directed me to Foremost.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:01 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
A lot of insurance companies will give you a first year 'teaser' rate to get you to switch, then keep raising your rates.

Cheers!
Old 12-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
We used a broker and ended up with a company that wasn't even on my radar; Safeco.

Use a broker.
FYI, I filed a claim with Safeco yesterday. The young girl on the phone was pleasant but didn't have any real answers. She was basically a clerk filling in the blanks. After gathering basic info, she handed me off to a "claims handler."

The accident was in an area with limited cell coverage so I initially used CoachNet to get the truck towed from the accident site to the nearest town (3 miles) on my own dime ($100.) CN was great and had the tow truck there in an hour.

When I called the claims handler about towing the truck to a body shop 6 miles away, his voicemail said he'd get back to me in 24 hours. Not wanting to wait, I made a "redneck repair" to get the truck to the body shop (used my jack to bend back the bumper that was jammed against my FR tire.)

The shop was awesome! If you ever need body work in Sedona, AZ, call Red Rock Collision at (928) 282-3900. They patched up the truck and said they thought it was safe to drive 130 miles home. They did say it was just an opinion and assumed no liability.

Got home at 6:30PM yesterday and sent an e-mail to the claims handler for further instructions re: getting truck repaired. So far, no reply and his voice mail box now reports, "Full, no more messages accepted."

So far, I'm less than impressed with Safeco but their rates are cheap. Glad this was my truck and not my motorhome.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since I am officially an old fogey I'm wondering about the year one teaser price. Has anyone had AARP for an extended time frame without any significant rate increases ?

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:52 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
We are on year 3 with The Hartford. Our rate is definitely NOT a teaser. Great price, great coverage. Almost so low, I wasn't sure if they were serious.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:23 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
A lot of insurance companies will give you a first year 'teaser' rate to get you to switch, then keep raising your rates.

Cheers!
GMAC Insurance did that with us. Gave us a good rate for year 1 then year 2 it more than doubled. Told agent to find us new insurance and she did.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:11 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm with Hartford AARP paying $600 annually for coach valued at $65,000. Good, Bad, Average???
Old 12-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #25

I shop my entire insurance package (house, cars, MH, motorcyle, etc) every 3 to 6 years. AAA is the lowest and best value with a $1,000 deductible. MH portion is around $600 (full coverage) per year.

The only way to get the best insurance value is to shop around. Insurance is a pure service business with a bunch of players looking for your business.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:15 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by epj View Post
USAA directed me to Foremost.
In some states USAA provides the mh insurance at a very good rate. In other states they pass the USAA member off to Progressive or someone else and the rates aren't so good. If you are a member, check with them.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #27

I have Good Sam (GMAC) $ 400 per year full coverage... this is just M/H
Old 12-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #28

There are no simple answers on insurance.

You need to comparison shop the reputable companies. Price depends on your driving record, location class, and each level of coverage. Coach age, value, and size can effect pricing too.

I am in Rural Route Class 1. It is the lowest location cost in PA. If I lived in Philladelpia the over-all rate would triple.

Each insurer has rates that vary by state, or even by county.

Make sure the quotes are one-on-one for all coverage levels. Some like to provide lower pricing via lower coverage.

So, no simple answers. You must shop. Brokers may help.

Best of luck!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, motorhome