Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2016, 11:34 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
We live in Oregon and have an '06 Pace Arrow 37C, which we purchased about a yr ago.
For the past year, we've had Allied Insurance, recommended by friends, through Miller Ins. agency in Lake Oswego OR. No claims, accidents, tickets, etc.
Our policy is up for renewal and the annual premium has increased from $675 to $810. Agent says this is due to rate increase, nationwide (??), on Agreed Value premium, which we have. Agreed
Value means if your MHM is totalled, you will be
paid what you originally paid for the rig, not the
"current NADA value".
Shopped around this morning to see if I could get a better rate. AARP/Hartford will only give you a quote if you also get a quote for ALL your vehicles
too, not just the MH. Our vehicles are insured with
Farmer's and we're happy with them, so no quote
from AARP. Also called the "new" Good Sam
Insurance Agency for quotes, which they claim would be from Allied, Good Sam, Foremost, Safeco,
Blue Sky, and National Interstate. Only received
quotes for Allied, which was $163 more than my
current Allied renewal rate, and Natl Interstate,
which was also much higher than my Allied policy
renewal rate. I also went on Blue Sky's website for
a quote, but they only accept drivers up to age 75
and my DH is over that.
So have decided to stick with our Allied policy through Miller Ins Agency.
Just for giggles, may see if any significant savings insuring MH and ALL vehicles plus home, through
AARP.
Definitely recommend shopping around for ins. Good Luck !
meant2shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2016, 06:06 PM   #44

[QUOTE= Shopped around this morning to see if I could get a better rate. AARP/Hartford will only give you a quote if you also get a quote for ALL your vehicles too, not just the MH. Our vehicles are insured with
from AARP. /QUOTE]

I don’t know if Hartford thru AARP has changed their policy since March of 2015 when we insured our new to us motor home, but we got motor home insurance only through them, very reasonably, one claim since for front windshields, zero complaints, they were extremely helpful.

I would call them again and hopefully you get someone else. All of our cars, and home insurance is with USAA, only coach with Hartfort/AARP.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:35 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to Wild Bill Ed Send a message via Yahoo to Wild Bill Ed
I would second the recommendation of Jim Schecter with Blue Sky. I have an umbrella with him as well. State Farm rep friend of ours and where we have all other insurance said they could not touch the coverage level for the price. b
ATV, & an Old Town Kevlar Canoe, Solar Promoter, Generator delete, Dry Camper
Wild Bill Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:48 AM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Update on AARP MH insurance

[QUOTE=Hit_the_Rhod;2922035]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopped around this morning to see if I could get a better rate. AARP/Hartford will only give you a quote if you also get a quote for ALL your vehicles too, not just the MH. Our vehicles are insured with
from AARP. /QUOTE

I don’t know if Hartford thru AARP has changed their policy since March of 2015 when we insured our new to us motor home, but we got motor home insurance only through them, very reasonably, one claim since for front windshields, zero complaints, they were extremely helpful.

I would call them again and hopefully you get someone else. All of our cars, and home insurance is with USAA, only coach with Hartfort/AARP.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:50 AM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Update on AARP MH insurance

So following advice from many on this forum, I called back to AARP/Hartford this am. They couldn't beat my current Farmer's policy for our 4 vehicles plus homeowner's.

But - I saved well over half on the MH policy from Hartford, with all the same values and line items that were on our Allied MH policy! And didn't have to include all our vehicles on the Hartford policy as I was told yesterday,when I spoke to another rep, to get a policy on just our MH.
Thanks everyone for your help and great advice as always.

Susan and Jim
Merlin OR
'06 Pace Arrow
Old 02-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by meant2shop View Post
So following advice from many on this forum, I called back to AARP/Hartford this am. They couldn't beat my current Farmer's policy for our 4 vehicles plus homeowner's.

But - I saved well over half on the MH policy from Hartford, with all the same values and line items that were on our Allied MH policy! And didn't have to include all our vehicles on the Hartford policy as I was told yesterday,when I spoke to another rep, to get a policy on just our MH.
Thanks everyone for your help and great advice as always.

Susan and Jim
Merlin OR
'06 Pace Arrow
Glad it worked out, we come up for renewal if a few months, and I will see if they change my rates. Will post results. Take care all, and safe travels . . . . from Sunny Key West!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
Allied
Ours is through Winnebago, but same company on the declarations page.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:00 PM   #50

Thor Owners Club
great information..... checking them out

Appreciate everyone's comments! Great reading, tips and advice.

Gives all of us the opportunity to save some money. Appreciate the wise words of you experienced MH owners.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:50 PM   #51
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
National Interstate.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:02 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeOts View Post
On 12/16/15, my truck spun out on black ice and did considerable damage to the passenger side all the way from the headlight to the rear bumper. I had just changed to Safeco Insurance due to cheaper premiums. This is my "After Action Report" re: my experience with Safeco.

My wife heard from the "claims handler" about 10 days after the initial claim. By then, we had called our agent and asked for help getting things moving. The "claims handler" was basically useless.

This is the 3rd time we've used CN services. Even though this wasn't under CN's purview, their service was outstanding.

It wasn't until a month later, after the truck was already repaired, that the "claims handler" sent an e-mail acknowledging our out-of-pocket towing expenses.

The patch job held together fine until we were able to get an OK from Safeco to take it in for an estimate.

As far as I'm concerned, the "claims handler" was about as useless as teats on a boar hog.

Best line was when the repair shop called Safeco for the check. The "claims handler" said, "We sent the check on Dec 16th." The repair shop reminded them they weren't given authorization to start work until Dec 31st.

Bottom line, it's a 10 year old truck and was repaired to my satisfaction but the process was fraught with delays, cluelessness and plain incompetence on the part of Safeco. Draw your own conclusions about the value of low insurance premiums.
We have Safeco and had a somewhat similar experience with them. It didn't cost us anything, but delayed the process.

We filed a claim and they went and picked up the car from the police impound lot almost immediately. They put us in a rental car and said they'd begin processing the claim. A week went by, then two and we didn't hear from them.

Finally I called them back at their 1-800 number and they didn't seem to have any idea where we stood. All this time we were racking up rental car charges. An hour later I get a call from a regional Safeco office and they tell me the car will be repaired by a local to me body shop and they will be contacting me. Another hour goes by and I get a call from the local body shop.

We go over and they explain what they are going to do and how much it's going to cost----which almost 60 percent of what I figure the car is worth. I ask them if they are sure Safeco is going to spend that much and he assures me they are and that they've already ordered parts. He figures two weeks to complete repairs.

Three days later I get a call from the body shop and he says Safeco told him to stop. He said Safeco should call me soon. They called almost immediately after I get off the phone with the body shop and tell me they are going to total the car. We got a check in two days and were given an additional 72 hours from that point in the paid rental car to find a replacement.

It all seemed very inefficient.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:04 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We still have Safeco and the motor home cost about $750 a year, but the premium on our other three vehicles went down so we have a net cost of about $500 extra.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #54

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
INS.

Ditto Hartford/AARP. Fairly decent road service included. Had to use it first day of ownership after blowing radiator. Amazed at cost. Same with soon to be toad
tim.kyfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Insurance

Time for me to renew and get some better quotes. I pull a 7x12 enclosed trailer and progressive has a $3k cap? The logan silver eagle lists for $12k? Was recommended to have rv & trailer with same insurer? Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.
ZOOKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, motorhome