Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2015, 11:13 PM   #1

Leak in Bedroom of RV

My husband and I have a 2003 Holiday Rambler, we are currnently getting alot of rain and have noticed a good leak in the bedroom under a closer. Between the wall is the bathroom sink and wall. Not sure where the water is coming from. Have torn out the cover for the water pipes but haven't found a leak in that since. Can't seem.to figure out which way the water is running from. Has anyone else experience this on a non slide area?
Carrie ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 12:37 AM   #2

If the leak just appeared during heavy rain, I would look immediately at the caulking of all roof seams. Water can travel a long way horizontally before finding a spot where it can flow downward.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 10-04-2015, 06:10 PM   #3

Leak in bedroom

Thanks SlowMachine, my husband is going to try and track it down. It has finally stopped raining. We are probably going to recaulk the whole top area. Thanks for your response.

Carrie Ann
Old 10-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have an '07 HR and also had a leak in the bedroom. Ours was on the passenger side at the front of the rear slide. I finally figured out that the water was getting in between the slide and the coach. There is a "frame" all the way around the slide where the unit attaches to the wall of the motor home. There was a very slight crack between the metal frame and the coach. Someone had put in silicone sealer years ago...they did a very good job and I never noticed it until I got up there trying to find the source of the leak. I noticed there were open cracks in the sealer (age and motion, I guess). I re-caulked the crack and we had no water penetration the next rain. I also did re-caulk up on the roof...any place that looked suspect (the old caulk looked like it might be aging). I'm pretty sure it was the cracks around the slide on the side of the unit...but who knows for sure. Good luck!
Old 10-06-2015, 06:59 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie ann View Post
My husband and I have a 2003 Holiday Rambler, we are currnently getting alot of rain and have noticed a good leak in the bedroom under a closer. Between the wall is the bathroom sink and wall. Not sure where the water is coming from. Have torn out the cover for the water pipes but haven't found a leak in that since. Can't seem.to figure out which way the water is running from. Has anyone else experience this on a non slide area?

When we bought the Windsor it had a leak in the bathroom area. I finally ended up re-sealing the entire roof to stop it!

I used the 4" Eternabond take around all the larger openings, and the Dicor 502LSW self-leveling sealant around the smaller openings, such as vent pipes, etc. I also put a bead of sealant around the edges of the tape.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Guy View Post
I have an '07 HR and also had a leak in the bedroom. Ours was on the passenger side at the front of the rear slide. I finally figured out that the water was getting in between the slide and the coach. There is a "frame" all the way around the slide where the unit attaches to the wall of the motor home. There was a very slight crack between the metal frame and the coach. Someone had put in silicone sealer years ago...they did a very good job and I never noticed it until I got up there trying to find the source of the leak. I noticed there were open cracks in the sealer (age and motion, I guess). I re-caulked the crack and we had no water penetration the next rain. I also did re-caulk up on the roof...any place that looked suspect (the old caulk looked like it might be aging). I'm pretty sure it was the cracks around the slide on the side of the unit...but who knows for sure. Good luck!
Thanks for the information, my husband re-caulked everything and even sealed. Last night we had rain all night and it leaked again . Not sure what else to do? Any thoughts?
Old 10-10-2015, 06:00 AM   #7

Thanks, can you use the dicor on aluminium roof. My husband sealed and re-caulked but after having all night rain it leaked again. Not sure what else to do. Any thoughts?
Old 10-10-2015, 06:34 AM   #8

Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy some 3M/Scotch exterior painter's tape. It looks just like the blue stuff that you use indoors, but is all plastic and made to be used in the weather. Tape over the seams and openings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1444480482.312963.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	109262

If you wait too long, you'll be here

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1444480412.490883.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	109261

The tape will buy some time, at very little cost, to find the source of the leak.

Mike
Old 10-10-2015, 08:00 AM   #9

We found a leak around the bathroom vent pipe.. there was no seal betweek the pipe itself and the roof.. if the wind go to whipping water could get under the vent cap and run down the side of the pipe.. I filled the space between the pipe and the roof with sealant and a new vent cap and all was good..
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #10

Leak in bedroom

We have found where the leak is coming from, it is between the shower wall and the cabinet in the kitchen. We looked down under the sink and can see water coming off of the wiring, my husband took off the cover for the bathtub fixture and the wires go into the wall, can't see any water coming from up above that. Would love to find a wire diagram to see where those wires go to. Anyone have a thoughts?

Thanks so much!!
Old 10-10-2015, 09:22 AM   #11

It might help to know the specific model of 2003 Ambassador that you have. I see two floor plans where the shower is separated from the refrigerator by a pocket door. Is your wiring between the shower and a pocket door? Is the water leak on the same side of the shower as the plumbing fixtures? A photo or two might help a lot.

Mike
Old 10-10-2015, 12:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
It might help to know the specific model of 2003 Ambassador that you have. I see two floor plans where the shower is separated from the refrigerator by a pocket door. Is your wiring between the shower and a pocket door? Is the water leak on the same side of the shower as the plumbing fixtures? A photo or two might help a lot.

Mike
This Carrie Ann's husband. We have an Ambassador 38PST. The shower is on the opposite wall as the refrigerator. The leak is on the same side as the shower fixtures. I have taken the shower faucet out and I can barely see the wires down the opening. I removed the vent at the floor of the shower and can see where the wires go in to the wall. I have a small access door below the sink counter and can partially get inside enough to see the water running down the wires. The water is running along side the wall underneath the shower, vanity and into the bedroom closet and underneath the dresser. The insulation in the wall where the wires run in to looks to be wet but I can not reach back there enough to feel it to be sure. Frustration is starting to set in and it is still raining. Will try to upload some pictures shortly. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.
Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #13

Here are a few photos of what we have. The top right picture is the wires where the water is running down on to the floor inside the wall. The bottom left picture is looking down the opening for the faucet inside the shower at the wires that the water is running down.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20151010_141015859.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	109299   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151010_140955886.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	109300  

Name:	IMG_20151010_140911721.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	109301   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151010_140803516.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	109302  

Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:53 PM   #14

I'm looking on the HR website brochure archive. The 2003 Ambassador brochure does not show a 38PST floorplan, so I am looking at the at the 2005 Ambassador brochure.

http://holidayrambler.com//library/2...ambassador.pdf

It looks like you have a pantry cabinet between the shower and the kitchen slideout. The bundle of wires and hoses that are in motion when the slideout extends and retracts would be my first concern. Water can travel quite a distance while clinging to the outside surface of wires and hoses, especially if it is a slow leak. If that area is the source of the leak, I would be trying to gain access through the pantry and sink cabinets by removing interior cabinet panels. On my Endeavor, everything is screwed together. It is a bit tedious, but he sequence of work for disassembly is obvious once you get your head inside of the cabinet. A flashlight helps.

Mike

Tags
leak