Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2019, 04:06 PM   #1

Leak in front roof - suspect windshield.

We have water dripping from very front ceiling. It drips down on dashboard a couple inches from windshield.

Starting (inside) next to windshield, we have a solar screen and a privacy screen which are raised/lowered by buttons on driver side. This area (where the two screens roll up is hidden by a valance. It is in this area that water is dripping onto the dashboard.

This leak is on rider side. It may be coming from the (outside) location where the air conditioner runoff drains from roof.

Our RV, 2012 Winnebago Sightseer 33C, is in covered storage now.

Please share your recommendations for repair. My options are:

(1). We are taking our RV to local Winnebago dealor next week to replace one of the slide covers. Should we ask them to repair?

(2). We have a good local body shop for RV’s.

(3). Try to fix myself. If possible I like this option best because hopefully lower cost. I suspect we just need to seal around windshield or an opening in that area.

What would you use to seal around the windshield?
Perhaps there is another seam in that area that needs to be sealed? What would you use!

I apologize for no pictures. Hoping for some general advice so I will know if DIY is possible.

Thank you for sharing your experience and wisdom.
Jerrilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2019, 04:51 PM   #2

I’m not sure about the 2012 Sightseer but some pre-teen Winnebago class As have a reputation for the steel framing around the windshield to rust out causing leaks and even windshields popping out. The framing around the inside of the basement bin doors is another rust out problem. Cheap steel?
Has it been driven on salted roads? That sure would accelerate the rust.
You can also check the seals on your 5 running lights over the windshield.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:35 PM   #3

Thank you, Expo.

Not sure if it was driven on salted roads before we purchased it. But I would guess no, because no rust elsewhere.

However, we have had a running lite cover fall off (driver side) recently. We will check those lights. What sealant would you use on the running lights?

Thanks again.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:52 PM   #4

I had a similar leak, I found a cracked running light, sealed it with clear caulking until I find a rep, lacement.
doug.huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:11 PM   #5

Thank you, Doug.

Will check that out tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:00 PM   #6

The amber lenses snap on without sealant. The problem is the base where it’s screwed to the body. You can seal around the perimeter with any quality tub bathroom caulk. Don’t use silicone. (Premature failure) Back the screws out half way and put some caulk under the head before screwing them back in.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #7

Thanks for the additional explanation, Expo.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:58 AM   #8

Don't just stop at the clearance lights. Anything that is mounted to the front cap needs re sealed.

Wouldn't hurt to put a small bead of caulk at top windshield trim to cap line either.

I try to balance the act of looking good and being weather tite. More so on the weather tite side of the spectrum.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:27 AM   #9

Thanks Wild Card. Will do!
Old 11-21-2019, 01:19 AM   #10

What caulk to use for sealing leaks.

I have had good luck using Lexel caulk. This is a premium caulk that costs about $10.00 a tube. It comes in clear and white. I have purchased this at Ace Hardware or on line. Best of luck getting your leak problem solved.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:19 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Check out my “Leaking windshield club” thread in the Winnebago forum. We have a 2014 33C with the same problem. I detailed my fix in that thread. Solved the problem.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:05 AM   #12

Powewash / wash the entire roof and inspect everywhere. This is part of annual maintenance on an RV.

If sealant is lifting, remove, it, clean it, recaulk it.
Eternabond and Dicor are the popular names of products to use.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:16 AM   #13

Thank you Sam-3, Georgeleasley, and Dav L.
Such good information!
Old 12-19-2019, 02:23 PM   #14

Update.

I found a loose rubber gasket at the top of my windshield. Put EternaBond Caulk on it to seal.

Just waiting on the rain to see if the leak is sealed.
Thanks again for your responses.

Tags
leak, roof, wind, windshield