Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2015, 02:39 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Leaking cargo compartments making me crazy!

These leaky cargo compartments are not a "basement". This is a Coachmen Mirada 2002 about 31' and it has no basement. These compartments are heavy plastic bins about 18 to 20 " deep attached to the floor underneath and to the outer wall. Hatch type doors are fitted to the outside. They were waterproof. I have tried all kinds of things to keep water out. It comes in when parked. Right now there are 2 of them that leak. I have given up and drilled holes to drain them. Here is what I have tried.

Replaced door seal material. It was once a closed foam strip all of the way around. I have tried this and also rubber strips.
Replaced the hatch frame to coach side seals. They may have been foam strips. They rotted away. I have tried closed cell foam strips and caulking, which I applied before reinstalling the hatch frames.
I suspected that the water might be running through around the screws that hold the hatches to the side so I bedded them in caulk after resealing the wood with epoxy.
These things got all but one watertight but one just won't stay dry. Now today I found a second one (filled with our campsite and grilling stuff) full of water. This is like a quart too!.

Please tell me what you have tried. Water sneaks in through someplace I cannot even imagine. I'll try your suggestions and report back when I can. If nothing works then I will have to go under and tear out the entire bin, hatch and everything and rebuild the entire mess! I hope not.
Thanks
Kahoona.
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 08:55 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Have you checked for roof leaks or window leaks and water running down the inside of the walls and getting in that way? I have a previous motor home that did that. Did not find the leak until it started to delam. The previous owner had sealed all of the compartments from the outside with foam spray under the motor home. he crawled underneath and sprayed the foam where the compartments met the wall. Sealed out dust as well as water.
Mel
Old 07-29-2015, 07:43 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
Have you checked for roof leaks or window leaks and water running down the inside of the walls and getting in that way? I have a previous motor home that did that. Did not find the leak until it started to delam. The previous owner had sealed all of the compartments from the outside with foam spray under the motor home. he crawled underneath and sprayed the foam where the compartments met the wall. Sealed out dust as well as water.
Mel
Thanks. I had heard of the water coming from above on the inside of the wall. I figured that since there was none in the coach I was ok but that could be wrong. I have had the leaks and delam and repaired the leaks and much of the delam. I may have to pull the hatches once again and check for wet within the walls. Thanks for the advice. I wonder what kind of spray foam the PO used? I have used a lot of medium expansion foam repairing the walls bu filling them but never saw a spray on version. Interesting. Thanks
Old 07-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had a water leak in the kitchen that was leaking into my basement. It was in a corner and behind the cabinets. It was in a slide out and the flexible hose end that was bad.
JWLSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:27 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLSC View Post
I had a water leak in the kitchen that was leaking into my basement. It was in a corner and behind the cabinets. It was in a slide out and the flexible hose end that was bad.
Since I have just recently had the hatch doors and frames off and cleaned the surfaces before bedding them in caulk I have to assume that it is coming in from the wall or the back side somehow. I sure hope that the caulk bedding isn't leaking because I painted over the beads to get a clean look. I fear that I will have to remove the actual storage buns which are like big, heavy trash cans and lag to the wall backs and floor above. I don't think I have any window or roof leaks because I had the windows out and resealed them last year and redid the roof with liquid rubber before that but you never know. I should check all of the hardware attaching points on the sides first though. If I pull the bins I will have to look for wet spots, rebuild the inside walls and probably reinforce them with fiberglass to get them to hold well when I reinstall. If I bed them in that may fix it.
Looks like I will get to post a storage bin rebuild thread when I get to it.

Tags
leak