Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #15

You would think

After contacting Forest River/Coachmen about my problems on my brand new 2011 Sportscoach DS385 and seeing similar problems talked about on iRV2, you would think that they (Forest River/Coachmen) would figure out that they have problems with some of their designs. Usually when I would contact Middlebury directly I get the "well that's the way it's supposed to be" routine - - - duh. Here's my two biggest problems that they didn't think were their problems due to faulty design.

1. The big "you build it" bed connecting the two love seats. The cushions from the factory (to fill the gap) were 1 1/2" thicker than the love seat cushions and were made out of a more rigid material. I had to be persistent in getting that problem solved. I found an upholsterer who ordered new foam to match the factory love seats (size designed to make a level sleeping surface and squishier to match the love seat foam). Also, they ordered faux leather to match the love seats. So . . . . . . . . . now the big bed up front can be slept upon without "Humpty's bump" running around the middle of the bed. BTW FR/C refused to pay for whole refit since they felt that the refit was apparently too elaborate. Also BTW, the dinette cushion was also 1 1/2 " too thick (another Humpty's bump in the middle of the bed) and the upholsterer shaved it down without much trouble. But still, both of these things came from the factory and the warranty office didn't seem to recognize them as a problem. Like - what do you expect, a sleepable bed?????

2. My dealer (Mount Comfort RV) came to my rescue on the aforementioned shower drain problem. Installing support under the shower floor around the drain. No more leaks. Again, FR/C played dumb as to a possible cause. I assume FR/C paid the dealer for the retrofit but I'm not sure.

I also solved a problem common to most Class A DP's. The DW's window was a window that allowed the passenger to raise the lower glass. That required a frame to run exactly at eye lever. My DW was always missing sites on the roadside because she was always bobbing her head up or down to see the roadside attraction. We replaced the window with a solid piece of glass. The DW LOVES the view she now has. A little less than $300.

2011 Coachmen SportsCoach
Living Our Dream One Mile at a Time
Steve & Mary Ann (RVM5 & 5A)
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!