Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #1

Leaking valve cover

We have a 2004 Fleetwood Expedition DP which is leaking oil that we believe is coming from a valve cover. The result is oil spots and streaks on our Jeep toad.

Because motor homes are not designed to make a mechanics life easier, the only way to get the job done is to lift a portion of the floor in the bedroom. It is not a easy as lifting the bed in some rigs.

I called Fleetwood hoping they had some drawing or diagram to help...no luck.

Has anyone had to work through a similar situation?
wlw41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Have you ruled out the sober tube? Did you have an oil change lately and perhaps too much oil was added?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #3

Would be unusual for a valve cover to just start leaking I agree with the slober tube theory. Try adding a piece of hose and run it down behind the mud flap. ISC Cummins engines are famous for their blow by right after an oil change. If not working through the closet is not the end of the world just put down lots of plastic and be careful
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
With extending he slober tube you will still get the spots on the toad and back of the MH. Use, make or purchase a capture device, to go on the slober tube.

LEN
Old 11-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I had a leak on my C8.3L mechanical Cummins.

It came from the Gear Cover just in front of the Injection Pump.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:26 PM   #6

Buy the dye made for detecting the origin of an oil leak. It mixes with the motor oil and leaves a tell-tale color (it comes in different colors). You should clean the engine first for best results.
It it's the slobber-tube/crankcase breather tube, you may add a section of clear tubing to extend if necessary, and fasten a plastic bottle to the bottom to catch the drippings(which must be emptied occasionally). I know a guy who used a long plastic tubing to run the crankcase exhaust to the bottom, passenger-side of his MH. I can't see how that helped though because the vacuum behind the MH would seem to pull the fumes back onto the towed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:34 PM   #7

Will low oil cause smoke to come out spout under engine? Mine just started this. Ty
Getbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getbak View Post
Will low oil cause smoke to come out spout under engine? Mine just started this. Ty
Possibly. When the engine oil is low it runs hotter, and may emit smoke from the breather tube.
I assume you have by now checked oil level.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak