Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2014, 08:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Breeze View Post
Thanks everyone !!

You all have confirmed what I thought to be true. I have a Camping World about 30 minutes from here and they said full tank replacement was about $140.00. That sounds good to me and I assume that they check the gas runs as well.
Seriously? Sure that's not just parts or labor only?
And don't "ass"ume that they check other things more than they quote.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #16

Quote:
I recently purchased a Winnebago Elandan 1990 an I have been testing all the systems. The LPG tank is a horizontal style just to the left of the entrance door on the passenger side.

The valve hisses a bit and I can feel the leak with my fingers around the valve stem. When fully open it seems to stop leaking but I can't really trust that.

SO do I try to replace the valve and get re-certified or replace the entire tank.

Thank you

Mr. Breeze
Loren Rice is right on target with his advice. Several years ago my LPG tank had a small leak at the valve and I thought it was a big deal and would I would have to replace the tank at considerable cost.
However, I took it to a full service LPG service center and got it repaired for less than $40 AND did not even loose the fuel in the tank.
IMO Camping World would NOT be the place I would go for this repair. Replacing the tank is not an inexpensive proposition!
Good Luck
CarlGeo

Old 02-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
It's just a valve threaded into the tank. I would bleed the tank, replace valve, refill.
yup, thats what I did..This isnt rocket science you know..And if nothing is leaking your not going to cause any harm. Personally I would replace the valve myself, check for leaks and thats it.
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to MR. Breeze
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Seriously? Sure that's not just parts or labor only?
And don't "ass"ume that they check other things more than they quote.
Turns out they don't do horizontal tanks. I don't think they really know what the are doing. Three calls and three different answers.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
yup, thats what I did..This isnt rocket science you know..And if nothing is leaking your not going to cause any harm. Personally I would replace the valve myself, check for leaks and thats it.
Were did you find the valve ... pipe supply ?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2014, 01:32 AM   #20

leaky valve

If you take your unit to a full service lp gas supplier usually the type of business that has a show room that sells various gas appliances, outside they'll have the large outdoor tanks for sale. Anyway they can remove the front of the valve and put a new one in with out changing the whole thing that wound save emptying the tank of all the gas. There's a excess flow portion in the base of the valve that doesn't come out when the stem assembly is removed. An honest gas repair company knows this an will make this a very simple job. Of course if you can't find any one to do this you can take the path of emptying the tank but truly it's just not necessary

Loren.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #21

Well at long last I am at the end as I just had the valve replaced for $224.00 at an RV shop in Orange County CA. The pricing seemed at bit rough but I also know that business expenses are a very real deal.

No more LPG leaking and I can sleep better knowing we are once again safe. My sincere thanks to all who posted as I learned a lot.

CU on the HWY

Jim
Old 03-09-2014, 06:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Well at long last I am at the end as I just had the valve replaced for $224.00 at an RV shop in Orange County CA. The pricing seemed at bit rough but I also know that business expenses are a very real deal.

No more LPG leaking and I can sleep better knowing we are once again safe. My sincere thanks to all who posted as I learned a lot.

CU on the HWY

Jim
Sorry that it couldn't be done by a dealer that would have just serviced the valve. Then is should have cost less.

Now that you have a good valve could I warn you if you close the valve, don't over tightened it because you damage a little billows inside the valve and that is what leaks when the valve leaks around the stem. So close the valve and then just a tiny bit more and it's done.These valve do a good job of sealing the gas off and do not need a superhuman effort to tighten. This is one case where enough is just right and more is destructive.
Loren
Old 03-10-2014, 12:13 AM   #23

Thanks for that info ... I will turn it ez into the valve seat. Don't really want to spend on this again :-)
Old 03-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #24

Ouch, that was costly! Was it really that much just for the valve replacement or was that a whole new tank?

As others have said on page 2, you should never leave a propane valve in any position besides fully open or fully closed.

Tags
leak