Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2014, 01:11 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to MR. Breeze
Leaky LPG Valve / What to do ...

I recently purchased a Winnebago Elandan 1990 an I have been testing all the systems. The LPG tank is a horizontal style just to the left of the entrance door on the passenger side.

The valve hisses a bit and I can feel the leak with my fingers around the valve stem. When fully open it seems to stop leaking but I can't really trust that.

SO do I try to replace the valve and get re-certified or replace the entire tank.

Thank you

Mr. Breeze

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2014, 01:30 AM   #2

I personally would try to temporarily position the valve so it is not leaking (test with soapy water). Then I would ASAP do an internet search or yellow pages search for a propane dealer/shop in your area. Immediately take the rig to the shop and get an experts opinion. If you can not stop the leaking, provide as much ventilation to the area as you can. Do not start your engine, ask the experts for advice and/or service call. This has the potential to be a very large problem to you and those around you. Please be safe and act quickly.

gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:40 AM   #3

There is a special GAS teflon-style tape, and there is also GAS pipe-dope that is used as a thread sealer on gas couplings. If it is leaking at a fitting, unscrew the fitting, apply either one (available at any HD or Lowes, etc) and then reinstall.
If it is the valve itself that's leaking, you'll need to replace the valve. The tank will have to be EMPTY to remove the valve. Install the new valve with the same dope or tape and you should be good to go.

It's also possible that once you get the old valve off, you can disassemble it, clean it, and it will work. The problem is that to do that, as I mentioned, you have to have an empty propane tank. If you clean it, reassemble it, put some propane in, and it still leaks, you're back to square one. If it's the valve, I'd replace it.

Jim
Old 02-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Don't screw with it yourself. Take it to an authorized Propane dealer and see what they have to to say and if they can replace the valve. This is a heavier than air flammable gas that you do not want to have any problems with. Do not try and fix it yourself.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ditto to gruelens and pumper9x9 said. Have it looked at by a professional! Period! This is not the usual DIY type project.

Alan & Terry
Old 02-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #6

It's just a valve threaded into the tank. I would bleed the tank, replace valve, refill.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #7

gas valve leak

I had this problem a few years ago. The solution was to go to a full service propane dealer. He is equipped to remove and replace the working parts of the valve and will doing in just a minute. They know exactly what to do and it only requires you to bring your mh to their site.
I remember thinking it was going to be all kinds of problems but no they'll fix it in a very short time-- think at the time cost lest than 20 dollars to fix. They didn't have to empty the tank-- surprisingly simple for them to do.
Hope this helps

Loren
Old 02-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Spartan Chassis
I had a problem with the valve on my propane tank and called several propane dealers and none of them wanted to work on my RV. They generally referred me to RV dealers. I eventually contacted my local dealership/repair center and they ordered a new valve for me, I took it in, and they installed it. I was surprised that a propane expert wouldn't work on it, but an RV dealer would.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
Don't screw with it yourself. Take it to an authorized Propane dealer and see what they have to to say and if they can replace the valve. This is a heavier than air flammable gas that you do not want to have any problems with. Do not try and fix it yourself.
#1 best advice you have received in this thread and the only reason I'm not re-typing what he said is that it was easier to quote..

SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP...

Question on propane pump jockey test?

What happens when you get the right mixture of propane and air and add a spark?

My answser, which broke up the class I was not taking, but which the instructor said was correct: You land 2 counties over.

Not a good thing at all.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to MR. Breeze
Thanks everyone !!

You all have confirmed what I thought to be true. I have a Camping World about 30 minutes from here and they said full tank replacement was about $140.00. That sounds good to me and I assume that they check the gas runs as well.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Breeze View Post
I recently purchased a Winnebago Elandan 1990 an I have been testing all the systems. The LPG tank is a horizontal style just to the left of the entrance door on the passenger side.

The valve hisses a bit and I can feel the leak with my fingers around the valve stem. When fully open it seems to stop leaking but I can't really trust that.

SO do I try to replace the valve and get re-certified or replace the entire tank.

Thank you

Mr. Breeze
I had a 1994 Allegro Bay and the valve would leak when opening and closing. I was told that this was normal. Just make sure you open it all the way. Or close it never leave it half way.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Shadow0120,
Surely you didn't buy in to that hokie explanation. Leaking propane is never acceptable, especially within the confined space of an RV compartment.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
Shadow0120,
Surely you didn't buy in to that hokie explanation. Leaking propane is never acceptable, especially within the confined space of an RV compartment.
Never had a problem those valves only work closed or all the way open. As per propane gas service man.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
Shadow0120,
Of course propane should never leak but valves frequently do. Propane valves, like many hi-pressure gas valves, are designed to be leak-free when closed and completely open. They should never be opened part way.

Most propane valves have a nut on the valve-stem, which can be tightened one or two flats to cure leaks around the valve stem while opening/closing the valve. Don't over-tighten or valve function will be impaired.

ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak